Many skeptics claim that the prophet Jonah could not have been swallowed by a whale. The whole story, they think, was impossible. But was it? Perhaps an incident that happened recently will give them a reason to believe.
Wildlife photographer and experienced diver, Rainer Schimpf was swimming off the coast of Port Elizabeth Harbour, South Africa and filming a sardine run when suddenly everything turned dark. He felt pressure on his hip and he knew immediately what had happened. He had been snatched up into the mouth of a mammoth Bryde’s whale. Bryde’s whales measure 45 to 55 feet long and can weigh up to 30 tons. A Bryde’s whale simply opens its mouth to feed, catching up anything in its path. That’s what happened to Schimpf.
Schimpf held his breath, hoping the whale would not dive deeper and release him into the depths of the ocean. After a couple of seconds, the whale released the clench of its jaws on Schimpf and he was washed out and rose to the surface of the water. On a nearby boat were Schimpf’s wife and another photographer who filmed the entire event. In an interview shortly after, Schimpf commented: “I was just holding myself and bracing myself and calming myself down not to be panicked, and it worked out. He [the whale] spat me out and everybody’s happy.” Schimpf then added, “I showed (the photo) to my son, and he was impressed. And you’ll never guess what his name is — Jonas.”
A swimmer snatched by a whale. Then spat out by the whale. He lives to tell the story. Sound familiar?
Watch it as it happened and listen to the man’s testimony. There’s an interesting “whisper” of a biblical connection at the end.
Read the Story of Jonah: Jonah Overview and Outline
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference: ~ CLICK TO DONATE ~
Use PayPal or a Credit Card for safe, secure giving.
Visit our Store