The Bible says that we, as Christians, walk by faith (read: What Does It Mean to WALK BY FAITH?). It also says that we are pilgrims on this earth(1 Pet 2:11) and we are on a journey home (Phil 3:20, Heb 13:14ff). That journey began the day Jesus saved us and continues until the day He takes us home. How we walk, and with whom we walk, is a choice and it will determine whom we serve (Acts 5:29, Col 3:23). We either walk with God or we walk without Him. So what does it mean to walk with God?
[Don’t miss the video at the end: “You’ll Never Walk Alone”]
Walking Along the Way
Jesus spoke about the path along which we walk, saying that it was the narrow way(John 7:14). We walk that path from the day of salvation until we leave this earth to go and be with Jesus. The path is determined and unchanging. It will lead us home. But how we walk along that path is our choice. Therefore, we must understand what it means to walk with God, so we can make the proper choices that will keep us on the straight and narrow path leading to our heavenly home.
The Bible speaks of a great saint of old, Enoch, who “walked with God” and was taken to Heaven (Gen 5:29). Walking with God can be understood as choosing to walk in harmony, to walk in step, and to walk with purpose.
Walk in Harmony
Waking in harmony is walking in agreement. God has graciously given us all we need to receive His truths and to choose to agree with His will and ways. If we choose not to read and study His truths, the world will speak its lies to us and we will be drawn away from walking with God. The prophet Amos understood this well when he questioned the Northern Kingdom of Israel with Godʼs admonition, “Can two walk together, except they be agreed?” (Amos 3:3) The answer, of course, is no. Without agreement there is separation. Without agreement, togetherness is breached. Without agreement, vision is clouded. Read and study Godʼs Word–and agree with God.
Prov 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
Walk in Step
Walking in step with God is about surrendering to His timing. Often on our journey home, we determine when things should happen and how far along we should be. But Godʼs ways are not our ways. HIs time is not our time. And He has told us that time is in His hands. (Ps 31:15)
We walk in step with God when we wait upon Him. And when we wait upon Him we are strengthened for the journey.
Isa 40*31 But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Walk with Purpose
Walking with purpose is walking with a goal in sight. Our purpose on the path, and in our walking, is to go home. God has prepared the path, He has opened the way. And He has promised our destination. Walking in purpose is walking in the direction of Heaven, focused on our promised home. It is walking away from the world and walking toward God. It is walking away from sin and walking in the righteousness that Christ has given us (Read: The Gift of SalvaTION: Justification & Imputation) and focusing on the glory that is to come (What you need to know about Sanctification & Glorification).
Heb 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith
Psa 25:15 Mine eyes are ever toward the LORD; for he shall pluck my feet out of the net.
Walking with God means taking one step at a time, in agreement with Godʼs timing, and with purpose. Our walk with God is fueled by the joy of our salvation through the power of the Holy Spirit and it is demonstrated by spiritual growth in living for Jesus and keeping His commandments. A closer walk with God is experienced by rest, confident assurance of who we are in Christ, and confident hope of our glorious destination.
There’s an old hymn that talks about walking with God in a garden. That’s how God created it to be. Adam and Eve walked in the Garden with God. And all who are Christians “walk” in a spiritual “garden” with Him. The question is, how close do we walk?
In The Garden Hymn
I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses.
And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.
You’ll Never Walk Alone
Written more than 70 years ago, this song still rings true. We’ll never walk alone because Jesus has given us His Holy Spirit to indwell (1 Cor 3:16) and guide us in all things (John 16:13). In Christ, we are sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise (Eph 1:13) and Jesus is with us by the power of His Spirit for He has promised:
“I will never leave or forsake you.” (Heb 13:5)
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED