Recently, I went shopping for a Christmas decoration to place on our door. I wanted something that would draw attention to the One whom the Christmas holidays are all about — Jesus! So I went to a specific store, “looking for Jesus in Christmas.”
In the past, this store has carried a wide variety of Christmas decorations, many of them reflecting the true Christmas story. When I got there, I found many things: elves, snowmen, reindeer, nutcrackers, trees, lights, napkins, plates, tablecloths, and much more. They all said something about Christmas. But they said nothing about Jesus. As I looked, I remembered the plethora of gift and home decor items that had the slogan, “Jesus is the Reason for the Season,” in past years. Something like that was what I was seeking. But I saw nothing. I was “looking for Jesus in Christmas” . . . and coming up empty.
Looking for Jesus?
Constantly, in a world of mass media, there is an effort by this world to divert our attention to a secular Christmas. We are exposed to Santa everywhere. The images of Santa dominate our retail outlets, TV shows, movies, and just about everywhere we look. In our highly materialistic world, advertisements use Santa to promote everything. Why? Because Santa sells! He’s a figure so closely associated with Christmas. And yet, he’s a figure that doesn’t exist—and never did exist.
Holiday music includes a wide selection of Santa songs and the songs about the true meaning of Christian get less air-play every year. Kids are frequently asked, “What is Santa bringing you for Christmas?” All this makes me wonder, are people teaching the truth about Christmas as well as the fiction about the fat man in a red suit with a long white beard and a jolly “ho, ho, ho,” who bring gifts to good little boys and girl. What about the true Christmas story about the One who came to bring the greatest gift to bad peopl?
I wonder, if we so highly promote that which is not true—Santa—and neglect to put extreme importance on that which is true—Jesus, the Son of God who was given to the world to save us from sin—then fewer and fewer people will be “looking for Jesus in Christmas.”
What Am I To Do?
As a disciple of Jesus, how do I keep myself from being distracted and how do I help others see Jesus in this special season?
As always, God gives us the answer. And so I go to the Holy Scriptures, God’s Word, where I find Jesus every day of the year and so wonderfully at Christmas time. In God’s Word I read the true meaning of Christmas:
. . . an angel of the Lord appeared to . . . Joseph, son of David . . . saying . . . take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins . . . Then the angel said to them [the shepherds], “Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people. For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.” (Matthew 1:20-21; Luke 2:10-11)
In years to come it may become harder and harder to find Jesus in Christmas. But be encouraged. For if we look for Jesus on the pages of Holy Scripture, we will always find Him. And when we seek Him and heed His words, we can share the true meaning of Christmas with others. We can tell of the hope and joy He offers to all through His redeeming grace. And when we proclaim the good tidings of Christmas, other people just might see Jesus . . . in us!
The Season of Advent (the 4 weeks before Christmas)
Will You Find Rest This Advent Season?
HOPE Advent Candle 1 – Prophecy Gives Hope (video)
LOVE Advent Candle 2 – Promise Reveals Love (video)
JOY Advent Candle 3 – Jesus Is Our Joy (video)
PEACE Advent Candle 4 – Pause to Find Peace (video)
Christmas Day: When Love Was Born — Light the CHRIST Candle
What is the Prophetic Symbolism of Advent Candles?
Christmas-themed GOT QUESTIONS?
- Misconceptions about the Journey to Bethlehem (video)
- Errors in the Nativity Story? Is Jesus’ birthplace wrong?
- Who were the Three Wise Men? Fact or legend?
- How Did the Wise Men Know to Follow His Star?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 Days After Jesus’ Birth? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the significance of the Three Kings' gifts?
- Was Jesus born in a stable, a cave, or a house?
- Was Jesus born in September (not December?)
- Should we celebrate Jesus’ birthday in September?
- Does “Xmas” Cross Jesus Out of Christmas?
- What is the Prophetic Symbolism of Advent Candles?
- The Most Important Lesson for YOU in the Nativity Story?
- Was Mary a Levite, making Jesus both King and Priest?
- Should Christians Celebrate Christmas?
- How did Jesus become a man?
- Do You Get These 7 Things Right or Wrong About the Nativity Story?
- Are You Stuck in the Middle This Christmas? (short video lessons from the popular comedy TV show "The Middle.")
- What are the Prophecies of Christmas? (video)
- Where are the genealogies of Jesus in Mark and John?
- Why Are There Two Different Genealogies for Jesus?
- Should I Say “Happy Holidays” Instead of “Merry Christmas?”
- A Boastful Christmas Letter
- Peace Delivers Hope
- Promise Ignites Hope
- Preparation Produces Hope
- Prophesy Reveals Hope
- Alone at Christmas? Feeling lonely?
- Another reason God came to dwell with man.
- How can you have a white Christmas without snow?
- Christmas, abortion, and Joseph, the forgotten man of Christmas
- Remember the Wonder of Christmas
- Will you find rest, peace, and joy this advent season?
- A Christmas Morning Prayer by Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894)
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, performed by Casting Crowns
- Mary’s Child — from the movie, A Christmas Wish
- The True Meaning of Christmas: The Sacrifice Began (How Many Kings)
- What If You Had Been There When Jesus Was Born? (video)
- Pause To Find Hope. Receive the Promises of God. See Jesus. Hear God’s Plan.
- Christmas Trivia Fun
- Songs of Christmas Series: Away in a Manger; Mary, Did You Know? Rose of Bethlehem; Good Christian Men Rejoice; Hark! The Herald Angels Sing; I Wonder As I Wander; What Child Is This? The First Noel In the Bleak Midwinter (a golden oldie)
Have You Heard About This Baby Boy? A most beautiful rendition of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, with a Christmas message to touch your heart and give joy to your soul.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering
YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. Subscribe to our newsletter and we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
Top Ten in 2019
- What is the meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- What is the meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR