Was Mary a Levite because she was Elizabeth’s cousin? Does that mean that Jesus was from both tribes — Judah and Levite — thereby making Him both King and Priest?
Let’s start with what we know:
- Elizabeth was Mary’s cousin:
Luke 1:36 And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren.
- Elizabeth was a Levite:
Luke 1:5 There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth.
Since Mary was Elizabeth’s cousin, and Elizabeth was a Levite, does that make Mary a Levite? The answer is, no.
Mary Was Not a Levite
In ancient Israel, tribal affiliation came through the father and Mary’s father was from the tribe of Judah. In Luke 3 we have Mary’s genealogy that traces her lineage through her father, Heli, back through King David, back to Judah, the fourth son of Jacob, and all the way back to Adam.
You might be wondering why the text of Luke 3:23-31 lists Joseph. So how is this genealogy actually Mary’s bloodline? It is! And it’s explained in these articles: Why are there two different genealogies for Jesus? and The Blood Curse of Jeconiah.
Since Mary’s father was from the tribe of Judah, so was Mary.
So how were Mary and Elizabeth cousins?
It was most likely through their mothers. We know Elizabeth’s mother was a Levite because her father was a Levitical priest and he was required to marry within his tribe. Elizabeth’s mother being a Levite is confirmed in Luke 1:5 which tells that she was “of the daughters of Aaron.”
Mary’s father was from the tribe of Judah, and he was not required to marry within his tribe. Therefore, his wife could have been from the tribe of Levite and could have been Elizabeth’s sister.
Jesus Was Not a Levite
Again, tribal affiliation was determined through the father, and Jesus’ legal father, Joseph, was from the tribe of Judah.
Furthermore, we must remember that Jesus’ priesthood was (and still is) not of the Levitical priesthood of Aaron. Jesus is “a high priest after the order of Melchizedek.” (Hebrews 5:8-10).
Jesus’ First Coming As Prophet
In His earthly incarnation and ministry, Jesus did not come to be King or to be Priest. He came in the office of Prophet, as prophesied (Deut 18:15, Acts 3:22).
Jesus came to preach “the acceptable year of the Lord” (Luke 4:18-19). And yet, in His final days, He also performed priestlty works, offering Himself as the Lamb of God (John 1:29) to take away man’s sin and to fulfill God’s purpose and plan of redemption. Additionally, when He rose from the dead and ascended to the Father, He was crowned with glory and He became reigning King of a new kingdom, a spirtual kingdom, the Kingdom of God on earth..
- Prophet: Even after death, Jesus continues to be a Prophet. He spoke God’s words to Paul and many apostles and speaks into the lives of His own today through His Word and the Holy Spirit.
- Priest: Jesus continues to fulfill the office of High Priest, sitting at the right hand of the Father in Heaven (Hebrews 1:3, 13, 8:1, 10:12, 12:2) and interceding for us (Hebrews 7:25).
- King : Jesus continues to fulfill the office of King, reigning in the hearts of all who belong to Him as people of the Kingdom of God.
One day Jesus will completely fulfill His offices as Prophet, Priest, and King. One day He will come again in glory to reign and rule on earth, sitting on the throne of David in Jerusalem, just as the angel told Mary (Luke 1:32).. He will speak God’s truths to the people and will be their mediator until the final judgment when all things are judged and all is made new. Then the perfect state of eternity will begin with Jesus as the Light of the New Heaven and New Earth.
We do not know, for certain, the relationship that made Elizabeth and Mary cousins, because the Bible does not tell us. But we do that that they were cousins because of Luke 1:36. We also know that Jesus was born into the Tribe of Judah. He came to earth and lived and taught as the Perfect Prophet of prophets (Deuteronomy 18:15, 18, Matthew 13:57, Luke 24:19). Since His ascension back to Heaven, Jesus now reigns in the hearts of all who are His. He is the Loving Lord of lords and He intercedes as our High Priest (Hebrews 5:5-10, Hebrews 7). making Him the Righteous Priest above all priests. And, one day Jesus will come again in all His glory to live and reign as the Eternal King of kings. He will sit on the throne of David and all the earth will know of His righteousness.
Revelation 11:15 And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign forever and ever.
Psalm 72:19 And blessed be his glorious name for ever: and let the whole earth be filled with his glory; Amen, and Amen.
The Season of Advent (the 4 weeks before Christmas)
What is Advent?
HOPE Advent Candle 1 – Prophecy Gives Hope (video)
LOVE Advent Candle 2 – Promise Reveals Love (video)
JOY Advent Candle 3 – Jesus Is Our Joy (video)
PEACE Advent Candle 4 – Pause to Find Peace (video)
Christmas Day: When Love Was Born — Light the CHRIST Candle
What is the Prophetic Symbolism of Advent Candles?
How Do We “Take” Advent and Find Rest?
Download a Daily Devotional for Advent
Christmas-themed GOT QUESTIONS?
- What are the Events of Jesus’ Birth? A Simple Timeline and Chronology
- Misconceptions about the Journey to Bethlehem (video)
- What do Zelophehad’s Daughters have to do with Christmas?
- Errors in the Nativity Story? Is Jesus’ birthplace wrong?
- Who were the Three Wise Men? Fact or legend?
- How Did the Wise Men Know to Follow His Star?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 Days After Jesus’ Birth? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the significance of the Three Kings' gifts?
- Was Jesus born in a stable, a cave, or a house?
- Should we celebrate Jesus’ birthday in September?
- Was Jesus born in September (not December?)
- Does “Xmas” Cross Jesus Out of Christmas?
- What is the Prophetic Symbolism of Advent Candles?
- The Most Important Lesson for YOU in the Nativity Story?
- Was Mary a Levite, making Jesus both King and Priest?
- Should Christians Celebrate Christmas?
- How did Jesus become a man?
- Do You Get These 7 Things Right or Wrong About the Nativity Story?
- Are You Stuck in the Middle This Christmas? (short video lessons from the popular comedy TV show "The Middle.")
- What are the Prophecies of Christmas? (video)
- Where are the genealogies of Jesus in Mark and John?
- Why Are There Two Different Genealogies for Jesus?
- Should I Say “Happy Holidays” Instead of “Merry Christmas?
- Scripture Cookies – Fun for the Whole Family!
- A Boastful Christmas Letter
- Peace Delivers Hope
- Promise Ignites Hope
- Preparation Produces Hope
- Prophesy Reveals Hope
- Alone at Christmas? Feeling lonely?
- Another reason God came to dwell with man.
- How can you have a white Christmas without snow?
- Christmas, abortion, and Joseph, the forgotten man of Christmas
- Remember the Wonder of Christmas
- Will you find rest, peace, and joy this advent season?
- A Christmas Morning Prayer by Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894)
- The Christmas Story in Poetic Verse, by Alvy E. Ford (1918-2005)
- Need a Quick Christmas Letter with a Significant Message?
- It All Happened in a Moment
Christmas Word Search Puzzles
Scripture from: Isaiah, Matthew, Luke, and John. A Christmas message from “In the Bleak Midwinter”
- The Most Beautiful O Holy Night O Night Divine, when Christ was Born
- A Baby Changes Everything, by Faith Hill
- Mary, Did You Know?
- While You Were Sleeping — A Wake Up Call for America
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, performed by Casting Crowns
- Mary’s Child — from the movie, A Christmas Wish
- The True Meaning of Christmas: The Sacrifice Began (How Many Kings)
- What If You Had Been There When Jesus Was Born? (video)
- Pause to Find Hope. Receive the Promises of God. See Jesus. Hear God’s Plan.
- Christmas Trivia Fun
- Songs of Christmas Series: Away in a Manger; Mary, Did You Know? The Rose of Bethlehem; Good Christian Men Rejoice; Hark! The Herald Angels Sing; I Wonder As I Wander; What Child Is This? The First Noel; In the Bleak Midwinter (a golden oldie)
Have You Heard About This Baby Boy? A most beautiful rendition of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, with a Christmas message to touch your heart and give joy to your soul.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED