It is a most proper question, “Do you really love Jesus?” Note an oft quoted verse from the gospel of John,
- “He who has My commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves Me; and he who loves Me shall be loved by My Father, and I will love him, and will disclose Myself to him.” (John 14:21 – NASB)
There is a great deal of emotional piety around today, and the church is not immune to it. For instance, in the church of our day songs are sung proclaiming how much we love Jesus. People get caught up in them, waving their hands, swaying to and fro, as they are led to repeat musical stanzas over and over again; “Oh how I love Jesus.” It is a fact that there is very little doctrinal affirmation, as was so evident in the hymns of days past, in our music programs of today. Repetition meant to cater to the emotions is a very familiar scene in our current day worship services. I believe the intent is good, the attempt being made to get Christians to attain to some type of state wherein one’s love for the Lord is affirmed. All too often though, I’m afraid that the endeavor ends up being bent more toward the worshipper than the One who is to receive the worship.
That said, according to our text loving Jesus entails a lot more than just singing some praise songs that lift us to a state of proclaiming words of affection toward Him. We may show our love by what we sing but there is a more prominent call from Christ to make our “love” for Him evident by also “keep(ing( . . . (His) commandments.” The Christian who loves the Lord has His “commandments,” which are in His Word, and he or she “keeps them.”
This word “keep” means, “obey, observe, guard, being vigilant in watching over” (Zodhiates). Jesus says to us,
- “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word . . . If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love” (John 14:23; 15:10 – NASB)
Walking to the beat of His “word,” His “commandments,” knowing them, guarding them, keeping vigilant watch over them, espousing them, defending them . . . . ah yes, the one who does this, . . . . . . they love Jesus!
Dr. Henry Morris writes, “May God help each one of us to demonstrate our love for Christ by guarding and obeying His word. We then can know, personally, the wonderful promise” of John 14:21,
- “. . . and He who loves Me shall be loved by My Father, and I will love him, and will disclose Myself to him.”
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk love the Lord Jesus Christ, not just emotionally, but practically . . . keeping His Word.
Read more about love:
- A-Z Proof of Love that Never Fades
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
- Extravagant Love that Captures our Hearts
- Fun Facts about Love
- Kids Say the Darndest Things (video)
- “The Five Love Languages” by God
- Do You Really Love Him?
- What Do Kids Say About Love?
- What’s Love Got to Do With It?
- What is Love?
- Is the Bible a love letter to me?
- Does God love the lost?
- Extravagant Love
- O Love That Will Not Let Me Go
- 24 Reasons “Why I Love America,” by John Wayne (video)
- The Legacy of Love — It’s Not Just For Fathers
- Mother’s Love
- Love Lifted Me
- True Love is Jesus (video)
- Won't You Be Mine (video)
- He Loves Me (video)
- Love One Another (video)
- True Love is Jesus (video)
- How Can I Understand the Love of God?
- Do You Have a Heart for God?
- A Heart for God Revealed in St. Patrick’s Prayer
- My Beloved is Mine and I am His
- Oh, To Love With a Pure Heart
- Love is. . .
- Faith, Hope, and Love — Why is Love the Greatest?
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR