Many have read the book, The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman. It outlines five ways to express and experience love, including acts of service, words of affirmation, gift giving, physical touch, and quality time.
God’s Love Languages
We know that God loves us (John 3:16) and that God IS love (1 John 4:8).
God has also written a book about “love languages” — the Bible! In the Bible is the purest and clearest revelation of what love really is.
So what might be God’s love languages to us? We’ll define five, from God’s Book, that are similar to those in Chapman’s book.
God’s love languages include, but are not limited to, acts of service (His works), words of affirmation (His Word), gift giving (His grace), touch (His “hugs”), and quality time (His presence).
ACTS of SERVICE (His Works)
Oh, how His wonderful works have shown us His love throughout the ages. The psalmist proclaimed, “I will remember the works of the LORD; Surely I will remember Your wonders of old.” (Psa 77:11)
Remembering all that He has done in the past, focusing on all that He is doing in the present, and looking forward to all that He will do in the future gives us joy and hope. Consider now the record of some of Jesus’ works:
- Jesus made the trip from Heaven’s glory to live among us (John 1:14).
- Jesus “worked the works of His Father who sent Him” (John 9:4).
- Jesus calmed the storm (Matt 8:23-27, Mark 4:35-41).
- Jesus performed great miracles (John 2:11, 6:2, 21:25).
- Jesus walked on water (Matt 14:22-33, Mark 6:45-56, John 6:16-24).
- Jesus confronted demons (Matt 8:16, Mark 1:34, Luke 4:41, et al.).
- Jesus suffered humiliation and agony for us (Phil 2:5-8, Gal 3:13, 1 Peter 3:18, et al.).
† Jesus willingly sacrificed His life for us (Romans 3:25, 1 John 2:2, et al.).
- Jesus now lifts our burdens (Matt 11:30).
- Jesus walks before us and He walks beside us (John 10:4, 27; Heb 13:5c).
- Jesus intercedes for us as our Mediator in Heaven (Ro 8:34, Heb 7:25).
- Jesus is working as our advocate before the throne of Heaven (1 John 2:1).
- Jesus is preparing a place for us in Heaven (John 14:1-4).
- Jesus will resurrect His Church (1 Thess 4:16-17)
- Jesus will come again in judgment (1 Pet 4:5, Rev 19:11)
- Jesus will bind Satan and cast him into the pit (Rev 19-20).
- Jesus will make all things new (Rev 21:5)
WORDS of AFFIRMATION (His Word)
By His Word God brought the world into being (Gen 1:1, John 1:1)
His words of love are recorded in Scripture and shall never pass away (Matt 24:35). His words are also written on our hearts (Ro 2:15). We should ponder them in our hearts (Prov 4:4, Luke 2:19) and allow them to direct our paths (Psa 119:105).
Jesus’ words are precious because He is precious. He is the express image of His Father and His words proclaim His Father’s will and ways. The Bible is the most important book ever written. On the pages of the Bible is found words of love, mercy, and grace; words of joy, comfort, and peace; and words of truth, direction, and correction. The Bible gives hope when we are hopeless, comfort when we suffer, and strength when we are weak.
The Bible reveals to us God’s precepts, principles, and promises. It offers recorded history for our examples and future prophecies for our hope. The Bible is our “roadmap” for life and our “life coach” for living.
GIFT GIVING (His Grace)
Grace is defined as a gift, and God’s gifts of grace are innumerable. We didn’t earn, nor do we deserve, His gifts, but God is lavishly generous in pouring His grace out on His children. All we need to do is receive that which He desires to give us.
Before listing a few of the gifts God has given us, let’s consider what is the greatest of all. Many will say it is salvation, but that’s not it. The greatest gift God ever gave to mankind is the gift of Jesus, His Son. Through Jesus come all God’s gifts of grace.
Let’s make a list, albeit short and certainly incomplete, of gifts of grace we have received from God:
- The Gift of Jesus (John 3:16, John 4:10)
- The Gift of Salvation/Eternal Life (John 3:16, Ro 6:23, Eph 2:8)
- The Gift of Sanctifying Power/ the Holy Spirit (Acts 8:18-20)
- The Gift of Love, Security, and Comfort (2 Timothy 1:6-7)
- The Gift of His Riches/Treasures (Phil 4:19, Col 2:2-3)
- The Gift of His Calling and Equipping for Services (Ro 8:30, 1 Cor 7:7)
No greater gift has anyone ever given than that which Jesus gave. He gave His life for us, has given the gifts of forgiveness and eternal life to us, and offers this gift to all who will come to Him in faith. (John 3:16, Ro 5:8, Ro 10:13)
Jesus heals broken hearts, mends marriages, soothes troubled brows, provides peace, security, assurance and contentment to those who know Him (2 Cor 1:3-4). All the comforts that are given to us in times of trials, troubles, pain and suffering, and in times of joy, peace, and celebration, are His divine hugs.
He is Shepherd and Overseer of our Souls (1 Pet 2:25). He cares for us, takes our burdens upon Himself, and gives us rest (1 Peter 5:7, Matt 11:29).
Psa 55:22 Cast your burden on the LORD, And He shall sustain you…
Psa 73:23 Nevertheless I am continually with You; You hold me by my right hand.
Psa 73:24 You will guide me with Your counsel, And afterward receive me to glory.
There has never been a time when God was not alive or was not present with us. Our Triune God is eternal and omnipresent! He is not limited by hours, minutes, or seconds. Nor is He constrained by days, months, years, decades or even millennia. Time is irrelevant to God because He exists outside of time and yet He is present within time. Such things regarding an infinite God are impossible for our minds to comprehend.
God is eternal, but we are temporal. And yet, we are able to understand much about our God because He has given us such great revelation through His Son. Jesus entered into our time and space dimension so we could know Him and learn His ways and will.
For those who belong to Jesus by faith, there is not a fraction of a millisecond when Jesus is not with us. There is not a place on this earth where Jesus is not there. He is with us always because His Holy Spirit indwells us. And, He has promised that He will never leave or forsake us (Heb 13:5b).
Our heart’s longing should be to seek His presence, to be aware of His presence, and to respond to His presence.
Our Response to God’s Five Love Languages
As Valentine’s Day approaches, pause and reflect on God’s Five Love Languages. Consider His works, His words, His graces, His hugs, and His time—all of which are offered to us each and every day.
- Devote your heart to the One who IS love.
- Set your mind on knowing Him.
- Fix your eyes on seeing Him.
- Make Jesus your highest valued treasure
- Live your life in a way that honors and glorifies Him.
- Receive his love gifts.
- Give thanks for His amazing and unfailing love.
Read more about love:
- A-Z Proof of Love that Never Fades
- What are the 10 Ways We Can Love Like Jesus?
- You Ask Why I Follow This Jesus? -- a short poem
- Because He First Loved Us - 1 John 4:19
- Faith, Hope, and Love — Why is Love the Greatest?
- Testify to Love (VIDEO)
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
- Extravagant Love that Captures our Hearts
- Fun Facts about Love
- Kids Say the Darndest Things (video)
- “The Five Love Languages” by God
- Do You Really Love Him?
- What Do Kids Say About Love?
- What’s Love Got to Do With It?
- What is Love?
- Is the Bible a love letter to me?
- Does God love the lost?
- Extravagant Love
- O Love That Will Not Let Me Go
- 24 Reasons “Why I Love America,” by John Wayne (video)
- The Legacy of Love — It’s Not Just For Fathers
- Mother’s Love
- Love Lifted Me
- True Love is Jesus (video)
- Won't You Be Mine (video)
- He Loves Me (video)
- Love One Another (video)
- True Love is Jesus (video)
- How Can I Understand the Love of God?
- Do You Have a Heart for God?
- A Heart for God Revealed in St. Patrick’s Prayer
- My Beloved is Mine and I am His
- Oh, To Love With a Pure Heart
- Love is. . .
- Is All Love Created Equal? CS Lewis Answers
- What Can Love Do? (video)
- What is the Biblical Definition of Love?
Thank you to Maggie Morrison for inspiring this article.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
Top Ten in 2019
- What is the meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- What is the meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
Our Top Three Videos
Help us spread the good news and saving grace of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Please tell your friends about ReasonsforHopeJesus.com. If you have a website or blog, please link to ReasonsforHopeJesus.com. All resources on this site © Reasons for Hope* Jesus -- click for Republication Permissions or contact hope@reasonsforhopeJesus.com