Oh, praise be to our God, the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! Not just any old god, but He who is the true God. To Him be all glory and honor and adoration. He has graciously granted us another day, more time in which to serve Him. And, when you think about it, He has given us more time to share His glorious message of salvation in Christ and more time for the lost to hear and respond.
Love . . . a word used so frequently, is it not? The word peppers the pages of holy Scripture. When I think of this oft used word I think of what John the apostle wrote in his first letter,
“By this the love of God was manifested in us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might live through Him. In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.” (I John 4:9-10 – NASB)
The Greek word for “manifested” here means, “to render apparent” (Strong). We would go a bit further in this definition by saying it means to “make clear or evident to the eye or the understanding.” Since it is not the “eye” that we deal with in our text, since we have not seen the “Son” as of yet, then we can surmise that here, in our text, we are being given “understanding” that “the love of God” is made “evident” to “us” by the fact that “God sent His only begotten Son into the world.” And He did so “that” the world “might live through Him.”
God set the proper definition of “love” before “the world: He “sent His only begotten Son . . . He loved us and sent His Son.” And “in us” is “manifested” this most proper definition of “love,” and that is that “God . . sent” His “Son.” He “loved” in that He did something, and that something is “love . . . rendered apparent” through those He has saved, those who actually know and “understand” the proper definition of “love.” Through His revelation we are able to determine all of this regarding “love.”
“In this is love . . . that He loved us and sent His Son”
And “this . . . love,” it acted, it sacrificed, it actually “sent” and accomplished a most wonderful work through Jesus Christ the “Son,” for He was “the propitiation for our sins.” And this “love” brethren, as is given for us to “understand,” lifted “us” out of the death grip of sin. The old hymn puts it so very well,
“I was sinking deep in sin, far from the peaceful shore,
Very deeply stained within, sinking to rise no more:
But the Master of the sea heard my despairing cry,
From the waters lifted me, Now safe am I.”
Yes, most assuredly, “I was sinking deep in” my “sin . . . sinking to rise no more.” But now, in me, “the love of God (is) manifested” for I bear witness of the proper “understanding ” of “love, ” and that is that “God . . . sent His only begotten Son” and “lifted” me out of “the sea” and “now safe am I.” Because of “the love God” in Christ, “now safe am I.”
“Love lifted me! Love lifted me!
When nothing else could help, Love lifted me.”
In us, who have been born again of God’s Spirit, “the love of God is rendered apparent.” And to “the world,” through us, through the glorious gospel message that is in each one of us, the love of God is given “understanding.”
Have a good day . . . . and be aware that in you the very love of God is manifested to a lost and dying world.
Read more about love:
- A-Z Proof of Love that Never Fades
- What are the 10 Ways We Can Love Like Jesus?
- Faith, Hope, and Love — Why is Love the Greatest?
- Testify to Love (VIDEO)
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
- Extravagant Love that Captures our Hearts
- Fun Facts about Love
- Kids Say the Darndest Things (video)
- “The Five Love Languages” by God
- Do You Really Love Him?
- What Do Kids Say About Love?
- What’s Love Got to Do With It?
- What is Love?
- Is the Bible a love letter to me?
- Does God love the lost?
- Extravagant Love
- O Love That Will Not Let Me Go
- 24 Reasons “Why I Love America,” by John Wayne (video)
- The Legacy of Love — It’s Not Just For Fathers
- Mother’s Love
- Love Lifted Me
- True Love is Jesus (video)
- Won't You Be Mine (video)
- He Loves Me (video)
- Love One Another (video)
- True Love is Jesus (video)
- How Can I Understand the Love of God?
- Do You Have a Heart for God?
- A Heart for God Revealed in St. Patrick’s Prayer
- My Beloved is Mine and I am His
- Oh, To Love With a Pure Heart
- Love is. . .
- Is All Love Created Equal? CS Lewis Answers
- What Can Love Do? (video)
- What is the Biblical Definition of Love?
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR