Note this word from the gospel of John, as Jesus prays for those who are His . . .
- “Sanctify them in the truth; Thy word is truth” (John 17:17 – NASB)
Jesus, in His high priestly prayer, prays to the Father that all His disciples would be sanctified “in the truth.” The word “sanctify” means, “set apart.” So He prayed, “Father, set them apart in the truth.” And then He goes on to say, “Thy word is truth.” So, it is the desire of our Lord that we that are His be “set apart in the truth” by the “word of truth” . . . by the Word of God, the Bible.
God in ages past had spoken by the patriarchs and the prophets. Then, He spoke to us in the flesh. Today He speaks to us through the written pages of the Bible, the “word” that “is truth.”
In multiple places, the Bible refers to itself as “truth” (Ephesians 1:13; II Timothy 2:15; James 1:18; I Thessalonians 2:13; etc., etc.). Dr. Joseph Stowell writes regarding the “word” of “truth,”
- “The Bible . . . since it is God-breathed (II Timothy 3:16) it also carries worth as His supreme authority. God is the divine, sovereign, head of the universe. He is God, who spoke to nothingness, and nothingness obeyed and became stars and planets, sky, atmosphere, and living things. He is the sovereign, authoritative God . . . and His authority is vested in His Word, the Bible.”
Common terms used today in reference to the Bible are, INFALLIBLE and INERRANT. What exactly do these words mean? In October of 1978 the Chicago Statement of the International Council on Biblical Inerrancy, stated:
- “INFALLIBLE signifies the quality of neither misleading nor being misled and so safeguards in categorical terms the truth that Holy Scripture is a sure, safe, and reliable rule and guide in all matters.”
- “Similarly, INERRANT signifies the quality of being free from all falsehood or mistake and so safeguards the truth that Holy Scripture is entirely true and trustworthy in all its assertions.”
We are, as Christians, to be set apart by this book, this Bible, this Holy Scripture, this “infallible,” this “inerrant” Word of God . . . it is our Lord’s prayer for us.
Dr. Stowell writes,
- “The Word of God . . . an essential tool for the Christian. The Bible presents itself as the final measurement for all data — that is, truth — concerning every area of life.”
Brethren . . . be sanctified in this Word! Let it be in you, in your mind and in your heart, and let it be that which sets you apart from the world (Romans 12:1-2).
Have a good day . . . and as you walk let the Word of truth, the very Word of Christ, dwell in you richly (Colossians 3:16)
About the Bible
- Which Bible Translation is Best?
- What makes the Bible so unique?
- Which Old Testament Book Did Jesus Quote Most Often?
- What is the Most Popular Book in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- Super Bowl – Bible Quiz – Game
- The Bible: Truth
- The Bible: A History Book?
- Does Mark 16:9-20 Belong in the Bible?
- See Jesus on every page of the Bible!
- Is the Bible still accurate?
- Is the Bible a Love Letter to Me?
- Where should I start reading the Bible?
- What would be the best Bible to read?
- A better answer than 2 Timothy 3:16 for the Bible being God’s Word?
- The Everlasting Word Of God
- God At Word In Us
- God’s Words Of Wisdom
- The Oracles Of God
- Bible Versions or Translations?
- How Can We Be Certain the Bible was Inspired by God?
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference: ~ CLICK TO DONATE ~
Use PayPal or a Credit Card for safe, secure giving.
Visit our Store