Note this word from the gospel of John, as Jesus prays for those who are His . . .
- “Sanctify them in the truth; Thy word is truth” (John 17:17 – NASB)
Jesus, in His high priestly prayer, prays to the Father that all His disciples would be sanctified “in the truth.” The word “sanctify” means, “set apart.” So He prayed, “Father, set them apart in the truth.” And then He goes on to say, “Thy word is truth.” So, it is the desire of our Lord that we that are His be “set apart in the truth” by the “word of truth” . . . by the Word of God, the Bible.
God in ages past had spoken by the patriarchs and the prophets. Then, He spoke to us in the flesh. Today He speaks to us through the written pages of the Bible, the “word” that “is truth.”
In multiple places, the Bible refers to itself as “truth” (Ephesians 1:13; II Timothy 2:15; James 1:18; I Thessalonians 2:13; etc., etc.). Dr. Joseph Stowell writes regarding the “word” of “truth,”
- “The Bible . . . since it is God-breathed (II Timothy 3:16) it also carries worth as His supreme authority. God is the divine, sovereign, head of the universe. He is God, who spoke to nothingness, and nothingness obeyed and became stars and planets, sky, atmosphere, and living things. He is the sovereign, authoritative God . . . and His authority is vested in His Word, the Bible.”
Common terms used today in reference to the Bible are, INFALLIBLE and INERRANT. What exactly do these words mean? In October of 1978 the Chicago Statement of the International Council on Biblical Inerrancy, stated:
- “INFALLIBLE signifies the quality of neither misleading nor being misled and so safeguards in categorical terms the truth that Holy Scripture is a sure, safe, and reliable rule and guide in all matters.”
- “Similarly, INERRANT signifies the quality of being free from all falsehood or mistake and so safeguards the truth that Holy Scripture is entirely true and trustworthy in all its assertions.”
We are, as Christians, to be set apart by this book, this Bible, this Holy Scripture, this “infallible,” this “inerrant” Word of God . . . it is our Lord’s prayer for us.
Dr. Stowell writes,
- “The Word of God . . . an essential tool for the Christian. The Bible presents itself as the final measurement for all data — that is, truth — concerning every area of life.”
Brethren . . . be sanctified in this Word! Let it be in you, in your mind and in your heart, and let it be that which sets you apart from the world (Romans 12:1-2).
Have a good day . . . and as you walk let the Word of truth, the very Word of Christ, dwell in you richly (Colossians 3:16)
About the Bible
- Which Bible Translation is Best?
- What is the Best Bible to Read?
- Is the Bible Still Accurate?
- Bible Versions or Translations?
- Has God Preserved His Word? (video)
- Does Mark 16:9-20 Belong in the Bible?
- What Are The Two Manuscript Lines From Which We Get Our New Testament?
- What makes the Bible so unique?
- Which Old Testament Book Did Jesus Quote Most Often?
- What is the Most Popular Book in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- Super Bowl – Bible Quiz – Game
- The Bible: Truth
- The Bible: A History Book?
- See Jesus on every page of the Bible!
- Is the Bible a Love Letter to Me?
- Where should I start reading the Bible?
- A better answer than 2 Timothy 3:16 for the Bible being God’s Word?
- The Everlasting Word Of God
- God At Word In Us
- God’s Words Of Wisdom
- The Oracles Of God
- How Can We Be Certain the Bible was Inspired by God?
- What are the Mysteries in the Bible?
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas