Do you like the idea of being wise? Then let us look into the book of wisdom for some divine counsel,
- “Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid” (Proverbs 12:1 – NASB)
“Discipline” is not always a well-received thing. As children we never received it thinking, “Oh what a wonderful thing this is, being corrected, reproved, chastised!” And it seems as adults we are less able to handle it. For us God has given us these aforementioned words of wisdom.
I remember when I was teaching a new-believers group several years back. Having come upon a particular subject matter that perked my interest I decided to teach on it to my group. It turned out that this was a somewhat sensitive issue at that particular time and word got out from the folks in the class about what I had so passionately taught them. Well, my Pastor, Pastor Don Myrum, he got word of all of this and you know what he did? He sternly corrected me! He pointed out to me, and I might say very adamantly, that if I was going to teach people in the church that was under his authority things that were of a sensitive nature I needed to always touch base with him first. He made that very clear!
I was reproved! I was, you might say, verbally “disciplined.” How did I react? I knew that he was right and I reacted, not in rebellion to his rightful authority, but told him, “I should have known better . . . I wasn’t thinking right . . . I appreciate you setting me straight!” I became aware from this “reproof” that what is taught in the church is a very important matter and one should always respect leadership’s right to know what you are putting on the teaching table.
Through this verbal “discipline” I gained “knowledge,” very important “knowledge” of how to rightly function in the church. Did I “love” it? Yes I did! And as I think of that particular event right now I think of how it helped me when I became a pastor later on down the road.
We don’t like the word “stupid,” but that’s what the Hebrew word here means . . . “stupid” (same word in the NKJV). The folks that are into the, “don’t upset my self-esteem group” would especially hate it. But then, they would be a people that also dislike the Bible, since it never seeks to stroke us, to cater to one’s self-regard. In all honesty, good counsel for us is to know that if we want to be spiritually smart (the opposite of “stupid”) we need to “love discipline.” For divine “discipline,” Holy Spirit led “reproof” should always lead to “knowledge,” sound and biblically based “knowledge.” I’m thinking that anyone who doesn’t love Godly “knowledge” needs biblical “reproof.” If they reject this then I’m afraid they have to bow to God’s conclusion . . . they are “stupid.”
Brethren, God’s words of wisdom are given to sinners, we who, more than not, seek to do our own will instead of His. Instruction, “discipline . . . reproof” is needed for hard-hearted people bent on their own way. Thank God we have such “knowledge.” Instead of being offended by it, which is the natural reaction to the word “stupid,” we should set our hearts to “love discipline” that leads to “knowledge” that keeps us from being “stupid.” If we are not willing to do this . . . . . well . . .
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk think upon this wise counsel from God’s Word and may it spur you on to get into His Word and allow His Word to properly discipline your life.
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store