Do you like the idea of being wise? Then let us look into the book of wisdom for some divine counsel,
- “Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid” (Proverbs 12:1 – NASB)
“Discipline” is not always a well-received thing. As children we never received it thinking, “Oh what a wonderful thing this is, being corrected, reproved, chastised!” And it seems as adults we are less able to handle it. For us God has given us these aforementioned words of wisdom.
I remember when I was teaching a new-believers group several years back. Having come upon a particular subject matter that perked my interest I decided to teach on it to my group. It turned out that this was a somewhat sensitive issue at that particular time and word got out from the folks in the class about what I had so passionately taught them. Well, my Pastor, Pastor Don Myrum, he got word of all of this and you know what he did? He sternly corrected me! He pointed out to me, and I might say very adamantly, that if I was going to teach people in the church that was under his authority things that were of a sensitive nature I needed to always touch base with him first. He made that very clear!
I was reproved! I was, you might say, verbally “disciplined.” How did I react? I knew that he was right and I reacted, not in rebellion to his rightful authority, but told him, “I should have known better . . . I wasn’t thinking right . . . I appreciate you setting me straight!” I became aware from this “reproof” that what is taught in the church is a very important matter and one should always respect leadership’s right to know what you are putting on the teaching table.
Through this verbal “discipline” I gained “knowledge,” very important “knowledge” of how to rightly function in the church. Did I “love” it? Yes I did! And as I think of that particular event right now I think of how it helped me when I became a pastor later on down the road.
We don’t like the word “stupid,” but that’s what the Hebrew word here means . . . “stupid” (same word in the NKJV). The folks that are into the, “don’t upset my self-esteem group” would especially hate it. But then, they would be a people that also dislike the Bible, since it never seeks to stroke us, to cater to one’s self-regard. In all honesty, good counsel for us is to know that if we want to be spiritually smart (the opposite of “stupid”) we need to “love discipline.” For divine “discipline,” Holy Spirit led “reproof” should always lead to “knowledge,” sound and biblically based “knowledge.” I’m thinking that anyone who doesn’t love Godly “knowledge” needs biblical “reproof.” If they reject this then I’m afraid they have to bow to God’s conclusion . . . they are “stupid.”
Brethren, God’s words of wisdom are given to sinners, we who, more than not, seek to do our own will instead of His. Instruction, “discipline . . . reproof” is needed for hard-hearted people bent on their own way. Thank God we have such “knowledge.” Instead of being offended by it, which is the natural reaction to the word “stupid,” we should set our hearts to “love discipline” that leads to “knowledge” that keeps us from being “stupid.” If we are not willing to do this . . . . . well . . .
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk think upon this wise counsel from God’s Word and may it spur you on to get into His Word and allow His Word to properly discipline your life.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas