From First Corinthians we read,
- “No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.” (I Corinthians 10:13 – NKJV)
Paul, in the verses previous to our text, has written of the example that Israel serves to each one of us who are in Christ. He points out how the things that happened to them were written for our admonition, our counsel, our instruction so that we would be warned not to make the same mistakes (10:1-11). He then goes on to warn us that we need to be careful in possibly lifting ourselves above these occurrences, as if we could not be guilty of falling prey to the same things that plagued Israel. He says,
- “Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall.” (I Corinthians 10:12 – NKJV)
Beware that we “think” we are somehow unable to fall into the same trappings that Israel fell prey too. It is a fool who fails to “take heed lest he (also) fall.” Be warned says the Spirit of God.
And then Paul writes our text and he makes it known to us that “no temptation has overtaken (us) except” that which “is common to man,” and when “temptation” comes recall to your mind that “God is faithful.” For He “will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able . . . to bear.” Our Father knows us better than anyone knows us. He knows us and He sovereignly cares for us and He makes sure that we are not overtaken by anything that we would not be able to “stand” against, that we would not be able to overcome.
Our “faithful . . . God” knows, and when temptation comes He will “with the temptation . . . also make the way of escape, that (we) may be able to bear it.” See that brethren! “God is faithful,” working in our lives to conform us into the image of Son, enabling us to walk in a manner that is in keeping with His high calling of us . . . and we can be assured that if a “temptation” comes our way, and be sure they will come, we can by His great and wonderful promises, not only “bear it” but beat it.
I am of the mind that if we sense a strong urge to sin, if we are tempted to do what goes against our Father’s will for us, that if we have the Word of God in our heart, if we pray, if we go the Word and open it up and start to take it in, if we just consider and put to practice the many resources our Father has provided for us that can be used to battle “temptation,” then will not succumb to it.
While we are in this flesh “temptations” are inevitable. They will come! We are to be aware of this and not to be found cocky but rather “tak(ing) heed lest we fall.” And then we are to know with great surety that our “God” will “not allow (us) to be tempted beyond what (we) are able” to “bear.” What a comfort to know these things.
Have a good day brethren . . . and walk aware that temptations will come, but also aware of what God has said to you about them in His Word.
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAM Say on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge