From First Corinthians we read,
- “No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.” (I Corinthians 10:13 – NKJV)
Paul, in the verses previous to our text, has written of the example that Israel serves to each one of us who are in Christ. He points out how the things that happened to them were written for our admonition, our counsel, our instruction so that we would be warned not to make the same mistakes (10:1-11). He then goes on to warn us that we need to be careful in possibly lifting ourselves above these occurrences, as if we could not be guilty of falling prey to the same things that plagued Israel. He says,
- “Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall.” (I Corinthians 10:12 – NKJV)
Beware that we “think” we are somehow unable to fall into the same trappings that Israel fell prey too. It is a fool who fails to “take heed lest he (also) fall.” Be warned says the Spirit of God.
And then Paul writes our text and he makes it known to us that “no temptation has overtaken (us) except” that which “is common to man,” and when “temptation” comes recall to your mind that “God is faithful.” For He “will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able . . . to bear.” Our Father knows us better than anyone knows us. He knows us and He sovereignly cares for us and He makes sure that we are not overtaken by anything that we would not be able to “stand” against, that we would not be able to overcome.
Our “faithful . . . God” knows, and when temptation comes He will “with the temptation . . . also make the way of escape, that (we) may be able to bear it.” See that brethren! “God is faithful,” working in our lives to conform us into the image of Son, enabling us to walk in a manner that is in keeping with His high calling of us . . . and we can be assured that if a “temptation” comes our way, and be sure they will come, we can by His great and wonderful promises, not only “bear it” but beat it.
I am of the mind that if we sense a strong urge to sin, if we are tempted to do what goes against our Father’s will for us, that if we have the Word of God in our heart, if we pray, if we go the Word and open it up and start to take it in, if we just consider and put to practice the many resources our Father has provided for us that can be used to battle “temptation,” then will not succumb to it.
While we are in this flesh “temptations” are inevitable. They will come! We are to be aware of this and not to be found cocky but rather “tak(ing) heed lest we fall.” And then we are to know with great surety that our “God” will “not allow (us) to be tempted beyond what (we) are able” to “bear.” What a comfort to know these things.
Have a good day brethren . . . and walk aware that temptations will come, but also aware of what God has said to you about them in His Word.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas