From First Corinthians we read,
- “No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.” (I Corinthians 10:13 – NKJV)
Paul, in the verses previous to our text, has written of the example that Israel serves to each one of us who are in Christ. He points out how the things that happened to them were written for our admonition, our counsel, our instruction so that we would be warned not to make the same mistakes (10:1-11). He then goes on to warn us that we need to be careful in possibly lifting ourselves above these occurrences, as if we could not be guilty of falling prey to the same things that plagued Israel. He says,
- “Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall.” (I Corinthians 10:12 – NKJV)
Beware that we “think” we are somehow unable to fall into the same trappings that Israel fell prey too. It is a fool who fails to “take heed lest he (also) fall.” Be warned says the Spirit of God.
And then Paul writes our text and he makes it known to us that “no temptation has overtaken (us) except” that which “is common to man,” and when “temptation” comes recall to your mind that “God is faithful.” For He “will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able . . . to bear.” Our Father knows us better than anyone knows us. He knows us and He sovereignly cares for us and He makes sure that we are not overtaken by anything that we would not be able to “stand” against, that we would not be able to overcome.
Our “faithful . . . God” knows, and when temptation comes He will “with the temptation . . . also make the way of escape, that (we) may be able to bear it.” See that brethren! “God is faithful,” working in our lives to conform us into the image of Son, enabling us to walk in a manner that is in keeping with His high calling of us . . . and we can be assured that if a “temptation” comes our way, and be sure they will come, we can by His great and wonderful promises, not only “bear it” but beat it.
I am of the mind that if we sense a strong urge to sin, if we are tempted to do what goes against our Father’s will for us, that if we have the Word of God in our heart, if we pray, if we go the Word and open it up and start to take it in, if we just consider and put to practice the many resources our Father has provided for us that can be used to battle “temptation,” then will not succumb to it.
While we are in this flesh “temptations” are inevitable. They will come! We are to be aware of this and not to be found cocky but rather “tak(ing) heed lest we fall.” And then we are to know with great surety that our “God” will “not allow (us) to be tempted beyond what (we) are able” to “bear.” What a comfort to know these things.
Have a good day brethren . . . and walk aware that temptations will come, but also aware of what God has said to you about them in His Word.
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store