The Five Solas are five Latin phrases that summarize the theological convictions/essential beliefs in the Christian faith. They originate from the Protestant Reformation that began when former Roman Catholic monk Martin Luther (1483-1546) nailed his 95 Point Theses to the door of All Saints’ Church in Wittenberg, Germany on October 31, 1517. Luther boldly proclaimed salvation to be received by grace alone through faith in Jesus Christ. Luther’s actions and the reformation movement that followed changed the face of Christendom forever.
Five Points/FiveArticles/Five Solas
Many are familiar with the Five Points of Calvinism that define the theological foundation of Reformed Theology. Written in 1619, by followers of French theologian John Calvin (1509-1564), the Five Points of Calvinism (commonly called TULIP) was a response to the Five Articles of the Remonstrance of 1610 (commonly called Arminianism). Both of these theological statements attempt to define and explain God’s work in election and His sovereignty (for more information, read What is Election?). Understand that each of these theological teachings on election has problems and both have become very divisive among Christians.
The Five Theological statements I adhere to, that are biblically based and theologically true, are the Five Solas of the Reformation. They don’t try to define how God elects His children or how He keeps them. Those are God’s works and we should be satisfied with not fully understanding His ways.
Isa 55:9 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts.
The Five Solas of the Reformation offer a prescription to Christians about how to live life, walking in the Spirit as children of God and as Christ’s body the Church. All Christians should understand and commit to the truths of these Five Points.
Sola Scriptura — Scripture Alone
The Bible is God’s Word and it is the final authority over all (including church tradition and interpretations). The Bible is inspired, inerrant and infallible. It is a living Book, preserved by the One who wrote it. It is the only Book that, when you are reading it, the Author is present to teach you.
Sola Fide — Faith Alone
Our justification comes through faith and without any contribution of our good works.
Sola Gratia — Grace Alone
Salvation is a gift of unmerited favor (grace) given by God. Simply put, God gives us by His Divine love and kindness what we do not deserve and have not earned.
Solus Christus — Christ Alone
This could not be more clear. It’s all about Jesus! He lived the life we could not live and He died the death that we should die. He alone mediates between God and man. The penalty for our sins was paid by Christ alone through His substitutionary atonement on the cross. And, by His grace we are forgiven.
Soli Deo Gloria — Glory to God Alone
If we get the first four solas right, the last one follows and God is glorified. Salvation is by Grace Alone, through Faith Alone, in Jesus Christ Alone, who is the Word (Scripture Alone) and from whom all Truth proceeds. Oh, what a magnificent gift of God!
Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
We are Justified…
…by grace alone (sola gratia) through faith alone (sola fide) for the sake of Christ alone (solus Christus), a truth revealed to us in Scripture alone (sola Scriptura), for God’s glory alone (sola gloria)
Those are my favorite FIVE POINTS! They help me to stay focused on Jesus and His gifts of grace, faith, and His Holy Spirit.When I do that, the love of God is magnified in my heart and in my soul, and I delight in the joy of my salvation.
Staying focused is not always easy. Perhaps that’s why the Five Solas begin with Sola Scriptura. We are so blessed to have in our possession the Word of God—the Holy Bible. We also have the freedom to read it (pray that it always be so) and to live our lives in obedience to God and His Word (pray that it always be so).
When trials, temptations, and tribulations come our way and tempt us to forget and wander, let us be strengthened by the Five Solas. Always remember, it’s all about Jesus—Genesis to Revelation (Christ Alone!) and His grace is sufficient—2 Corinthians 12:9 (Grace Alone!). We are established in our faith—Colossians 2:7 (Faith Alone! ), and we grow by knowledge of God’s Word—John 17:17 & Ro 10:17 (Scripture Alone!)
Soli Deo Gloria
To God only wise, be glory through
Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.
The Great Reformation
- What are the Five Solas of the Reformation?
- A Great Christian Song for Halloween (article and videos)
- The Most Important Five Points for All Christians
- Reformers You Might Not Know
- Martin Luther on Trial (500th Anniversary of the Reformation)
- Martin Luther's Reformation Hymns (article and videos)
- Reformation Quiz: Discerning Truth and Error
- His Be The Victor's Name/The Great Accuser Roars (song video)
- What are Martin Luther’s Five Solas of the Reformation? (video)
- What are the Three Reformation Hymns by Martin Luther?
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas