History has shown that men often alter biblical doctrine to better fit with their own beliefs and traditions (eg. Mk 7) The Reformation was a movement to correct that. Men of the Scriptures, against great opposition and the threat of death, set about reforming the accepted teaching regarding the doctrine of justification. They used, as their sole authority, the Scriptures. These men biblically discerned and proclaimed what was truth and pointed out the errors in the teachings of their day. In doing so, they set forth a true Scriptural definition of the doctrine of justification and reformed the tradition of the church from the 16th century forward.
How about you? Are you discerning? Can you determine whether the following statements are true according to Scripture or are the false teachings of men?
TRUE or FALSE
- Justification is a transformation of the soul in which original sin is removed and sanctifying grace infused.
- Initial justification is by means of baptism.
- Justification is lost through mortal sin (a gravely sinful act).
- Justification is the imputation of the perfect righteousness of God. In Christ, the believer has been made complete.
- Salvation is attained by cooperating with grace through faith, good works, and participation in the sacraments.
- Grace is the undeserved favor of God.
- Saving faith is the entrusting of oneself to Christ as Lord and Savior.
- Venial sins (relatively slight sins) do not incur eternal punishment.
Finally, What are the Five Solas of the Reformation?
1.) Justification is a transformation of the soul in which original sin is removed and sanctifying grace infused.
FALSE: Justification is a transformation of the soul in which personal sins are forgiven. When Jesus saves and justifies us, we are made worthy and are given eternal life with Him but the imputed original sin of Adam (our sin nature) is still within us. That’s why we continue to sin even after we trust in Christ and He regenerates our souls. (Rom 7:20)
2.) Initial justification is by means of baptism.
FALSE: Water baptism has no power to justify. It is only Christ who justifies (Eph 2:8-9) and the baptism unto salvation is that of Christ who baptizes us with the Holy Spirit. (Acts 11:16)
3.) Justification is lost through mortal sin.
FALSE: We did nothing to earn our salvation and we can do nothing to lose it. It is Christ who saves and He keeps us. He has promised that no one can pluck us out of His hands and that includes us by any choice or sin. (John 10:28)
4.) Justification is the imputation of the perfect righteousness of God. In Christ, the believer has been made complete.
TRUE (Rom 3:21, 22; 10:3, Phil 3:9, 2 Cor 5:21, 1 Cor 1:30)
5.) Salvation is attained by cooperating with grace through faith, good works, and participation in the sacraments.
FALSE: Salvation is not of our works. (Eph 2:8-9)
6.) Grace is undeserved favor given by God according to His purpose and plan.
TRUE (Eph 4:7)
7.) Saving faith is the entrusting of oneself to Christ as Lord and Savior.
TRUE (Rom 10:9)
8.) Venial sins do not incur eternal punishment.
FALSE: In our justification, all sins warrant eternal punishment. (Romans 6:23)
What are the Five Solas of the Reformation?
You really need to be able to name all five Solas. If you can’t name them, click to review and remember The Five Solas of the Reformation
The Great Reformation
- What are the Five Solas of the Reformation?
- A Great Christian Song for Halloween (article and videos)
- The Most Important Five Points for All Christians
- Reformers You Might Not Know
- Martin Luther on Trial (500th Anniversary of the Reformation)
- Martin Luther's Reformation Hymns (article and videos)
- Reformation Quiz: Discerning Truth and Error
- His Be The Victor's Name/The Great Accuser Roars (song video)
- What are Martin Luther’s Five Solas of the Reformation? (video)
- What are the Three Reformation Hymns by Martin Luther?
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
Top Ten in 2019
- What is the meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- What is the meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
Our Top Three Videos
Help us spread the good news and saving grace of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Please tell your friends about ReasonsforHopeJesus.com. If you have a website or blog, please link to ReasonsforHopeJesus.com. All resources on this site © Reasons for Hope* Jesus -- click for Republication Permissions or contact hope@reasonsforhopeJesus.com