History has shown that men often alter biblical doctrine to better fit with their own beliefs and traditions (eg. Mk 7) The Reformation was a movement to correct that. Men of the Scriptures, against great opposition and the threat of death, set about reforming the accepted teaching regarding the doctrine of justification. They used, as their sole authority, the Scriptures. These men biblically discerned and proclaimed what was truth and pointed out the errors in the teachings of their day. In doing so, they set forth a true Scriptural definition of the doctrine of justification and reformed the tradition of the church from the 16th century forward.
How about you? Are you discerning? Can you determine whether the following statements are true according to Scripture or are the false teachings of men?
TRUE or FALSE
- Justification is a transformation of the soul in which original sin is removed and sanctifying grace infused.
- Initial justification is by means of baptism.
- Justification is lost through mortal sin (a gravely sinful act).
- Justification is the imputation of the perfect righteousness of God. In Christ, the believer has been made complete.
- Salvation is attained by cooperating with grace through faith, good works, and participation in the sacraments.
- Grace is the undeserved favor of God.
- Saving faith is the entrusting of oneself to Christ as Lord and Savior.
- Venial sins (relatively slight sins) do not incur eternal punishment.
Finally, What are the Five Solas of the Reformation?
1.) Justification is a transformation of the soul in which original sin is removed and sanctifying grace infused.
FALSE: Justification is a transformation of the soul in which personal sins are forgiven. When Jesus saves and justifies us, we are made worthy and are given eternal life with Him but the imputed original sin of Adam (our sin nature) is still within us. That’s why we continue to sin even after we trust in Christ and He regenerates our souls. (Rom 7:20)
2.) Initial justification is by means of baptism.
FALSE: Water baptism has no power to justify. It is only Christ who justifies (Eph 2:8-9) and the baptism unto salvation is that of Christ who baptizes us with the Holy Spirit. (Acts 11:16)
3.) Justification is lost through mortal sin.
FALSE: We did nothing to earn our salvation and we can do nothing to lose it. It is Christ who saves and He keeps us. He has promised that no one can pluck us out of His hands and that includes us by any choice or sin. (John 10:28)
4.) Justification is the imputation of the perfect righteousness of God. In Christ, the believer has been made complete.
TRUE (Rom 3:21, 22; 10:3, Phil 3:9, 2 Cor 5:21, 1 Cor 1:30)
5.) Salvation is attained by cooperating with grace through faith, good works, and participation in the sacraments.
FALSE: Salvation is not of our works. (Eph 2:8-9)
6.) Grace is undeserved favor given by God according to His purpose and plan.
TRUE (Eph 4:7)
7.) Saving faith is the entrusting of oneself to Christ as Lord and Savior.
TRUE (Rom 10:9)
8.) Venial sins do not incur eternal punishment.
FALSE: In our justification, all sins warrant eternal punishment. (Romans 6:23)
What are the Five Solas of the Reformation?
You really need to be able to name all five Solas. If you can’t name them, click to review and remember The Five Solas of the Reformation
The Great Reformation
Be Ready Always...
to give a reason for the Hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15). When you can’t share the gospel with your words, share it by leaving tracts that tell people about God's grace.
When leaving a tract, always be diligent to pray about the short gospel message. Pray that it be found by someone who is in need of Jesus’ saving grace, and pray that the person will have a tender heart and open ears to receive the gift Jesus desires to give them.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, even a small tract can help in turning a broken sinner from darkness to light.
SHARE THE GOSPEL!
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
Is my TATTOO a sin?
The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Is it a sin to be FAT?
To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
Can JEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAM Say on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge