More than 500 years ago Martin Luther started a reformation when he posted his 95 thesis to the door of a church in Wittenburg, Germany. To this day, Luther is called the Great Reformer of the Protestant Reformation. Luther is also well remembered for the more than 30 hymns he composed and published, many of which we still sing.
Of the songs Luther composed, three are categorized as reformation hymns: O Lord Look Down from Heaven Behold, Lord Keep Us Steadfast in Thy Word, and A Mighty Fortress Is Our God, the most well-known of Luther’s hymns. A Mighty Fortress Is Our God is deemed to be the “Battle Hymn of the Reformation.” Watch and listen to the words of faith and hope that Luther put to music to inspire and encourage his generation and those to come.
Luther’s Reformation Hymns
A Contemporary Rendition of “A Mighty Fortress is Our God”¹ — 1529
“The Battle Hymn of the Reformation”
A Traditional Rendition of “A Mighty Fortress is Our God”¹ — 1529
“The Battle Hymn of the Reformation”
O Lord, Look Down from Heaven, Behold² — 1524
Lord, Keep Us Steadfast in Thy Word³ — 1543
Another Popular Song by Martin Luther
¹ Hymn 262, The Lutheran Hymnal, Text: Psalm 46, Author: Martin Luther, 1529, Titled: “Ein’ feste Burg ist unser Gott,” Tune: “Ein’ feste Burg,” 1st Published in: Klug’s Gesangbuch, Town: Wittenberg, 1529
² Hymn 260, The Lutheran Hymnal, Text: Ps. 12, Author: Martin Luther, 1523, Titled: “Ach Gott vom Himmel, sieh darein” Tune: “Ach Gott vom Himmel” 1st Published in: Enchiridion, Town: Erfurt, 1524
³ Hymn 261, The Lutheran Hymnal, Text: John 8:31, Author: Martin Luther, 1541, Titled: “Erhalt uns, Herr, bei deinem Wort,” Tune: “Erhalt uns, Herr,” 1st Published in: Geistliche Lieder, Town: Wittenberg, 1543
The Great Reformation
- What are the Five Solas?
- A Great Christian Song for Halloween (article and videos)
- The Most Important Five Points for All Christians
- Reformers You Might Not Know
- Martin Luther on Trial (500th Anniversary of the Reformation)
- Martin Luther's Reformation Hymns (article and videos)
- Reformation Quiz: Discerning Truth and Error
- His Be The Victor's Name/The Great Accuser Roars (song video)
Be Ready Always...
to give a reason for the Hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15). When you can’t share the gospel with your words, share it by leaving tracts that tell people about God's grace.
When leaving a tract, always be diligent to pray about the short gospel message. Pray that it be found by someone who is in need of Jesus’ saving grace, and pray that the person will have a tender heart and open ears to receive the gift Jesus desires to give them.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, even a small tract can help in turning a broken sinner from darkness to light.
SHARE THE GOSPEL!
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
The Top Ten from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOOa sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDANRiver mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean toTASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus?Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVENwithout knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?