More than 500 years ago Martin Luther started a reformation when he posted his 95 thesis to the door of a church in Wittenburg, Germany. To this day, Luther is called the Great Reformer of the Protestant Reformation. Luther is also well remembered for the more than 30 hymns he composed and published, many of which we still sing.
Of the songs Luther composed, three are categorized as reformation hymns: O Lord Look Down from Heaven Behold, Lord Keep Us Steadfast in Thy Word, and A Mighty Fortress Is Our God, the most well-known of Luther’s hymns. A Mighty Fortress Is Our God is deemed to be the “Battle Hymn of the Reformation.” Watch and listen to the words of faith and hope that Luther put to music to inspire and encourage his generation and those to come.
Luther’s Reformation Hymns
A Contemporary Rendition of “A Mighty Fortress is Our God”¹ — 1529
“The Battle Hymn of the Reformation”
A Traditional Rendition of “A Mighty Fortress is Our God”¹ — 1529
“The Battle Hymn of the Reformation”
O Lord, Look Down from Heaven, Behold² — 1524
Lord, Keep Us Steadfast in Thy Word³ — 1543
Another Popular Song by Martin Luther
¹ Hymn 262, The Lutheran Hymnal, Text: Psalm 46, Author: Martin Luther, 1529, Titled: “Ein’ feste Burg ist unser Gott,” Tune: “Ein’ feste Burg,” 1st Published in: Klug’s Gesangbuch, Town: Wittenberg, 1529
² Hymn 260, The Lutheran Hymnal, Text: Ps. 12, Author: Martin Luther, 1523, Titled: “Ach Gott vom Himmel, sieh darein” Tune: “Ach Gott vom Himmel” 1st Published in: Enchiridion, Town: Erfurt, 1524
³ Hymn 261, The Lutheran Hymnal, Text: John 8:31, Author: Martin Luther, 1541, Titled: “Erhalt uns, Herr, bei deinem Wort,” Tune: “Erhalt uns, Herr,” 1st Published in: Geistliche Lieder, Town: Wittenberg, 1543
The Great Reformation
- What are the Five Solas?
- A Great Christian Song for Halloween (article and videos)
- The Most Important Five Points for All Christians
- Reformers You Might Not Know
- Martin Luther on Trial (500th Anniversary of the Reformation)
- Martin Luther's Reformation Hymns (article and videos)
- Reformation Quiz: Discerning Truth and Error
- His Be The Victor's Name/The Great Accuser Roars (song video)
Be Ready Always...
to give a reason for the Hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15). When you can’t share the gospel with your words, share it by leaving tracts that tell people about God's grace.
When leaving a tract, always be diligent to pray about the short gospel message. Pray that it be found by someone who is in need of Jesus’ saving grace, and pray that the person will have a tender heart and open ears to receive the gift Jesus desires to give them.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, even a small tract can help in turning a broken sinner from darkness to light.
SHARE THE GOSPEL!
Get Ready For Christmas -- Share the Legend of the Candy Cane
Watch now and get some tracts to share the sweet message of the gospel this Christmas. And when you shop, check out our book, Who Said That? Common Everyday Sayings [from the Bible]
It's a perfect stocking stuffer, small gift, hostess gift, or just a fun personal purchase. Learn some of the sayings and use them to open conversations of spiritual importance.
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
Is my TATTOO a sin?
The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Is it a sin to be FAT?
To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
Can JEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAM Say on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge