More than 500 years ago Martin Luther started a reformation when he posted his 95 thesis to the door of a church in Wittenburg, Germany. To this day, Luther is called the Great Reformer of the Protestant Reformation. Luther is also well remembered for the more than 30 hymns he composed and published, many of which we still sing.
Of the songs Luther composed, three are categorized as reformation hymns: O Lord Look Down from Heaven Behold, Lord Keep Us Steadfast in Thy Word, and A Mighty Fortress Is Our God, the most well-known of Luther’s hymns. A Mighty Fortress Is Our God is deemed to be the “Battle Hymn of the Reformation.” Watch and listen to the words of faith and hope that Luther put to music to inspire and encourage his generation and those to come.
Luther’s Reformation Hymns
A Contemporary Rendition of “A Mighty Fortress is Our God”¹ — 1529
“The Battle Hymn of the Reformation”
A Traditional Rendition of “A Mighty Fortress is Our God”¹ — 1529
“The Battle Hymn of the Reformation”
O Lord, Look Down from Heaven, Behold² — 1524
Lord, Keep Us Steadfast in Thy Word³ — 1543
Another Popular Song by Martin Luther
¹ Hymn 262, The Lutheran Hymnal, Text: Psalm 46, Author: Martin Luther, 1529, Titled: “Ein’ feste Burg ist unser Gott,” Tune: “Ein’ feste Burg,” 1st Published in: Klug’s Gesangbuch, Town: Wittenberg, 1529
² Hymn 260, The Lutheran Hymnal, Text: Ps. 12, Author: Martin Luther, 1523, Titled: “Ach Gott vom Himmel, sieh darein” Tune: “Ach Gott vom Himmel” 1st Published in: Enchiridion, Town: Erfurt, 1524
³ Hymn 261, The Lutheran Hymnal, Text: John 8:31, Author: Martin Luther, 1541, Titled: “Erhalt uns, Herr, bei deinem Wort,” Tune: “Erhalt uns, Herr,” 1st Published in: Geistliche Lieder, Town: Wittenberg, 1543
The Great Reformation
- What are the Five Solas of the Reformation?
- A Great Christian Song for Halloween (article and videos)
- The Most Important Five Points for All Christians
- Reformers You Might Not Know
- Martin Luther on Trial (500th Anniversary of the Reformation)
- Martin Luther's Reformation Hymns (article and videos)
- Reformation Quiz: Discerning Truth and Error
- His Be The Victor's Name/The Great Accuser Roars (song video)
- What are Martin Luther’s Five Solas of the Reformation? (video)
Be Ready Always...
to give a reason for the Hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15). When you can’t share the gospel with your words, share it by leaving tracts that tell people about God's grace.
When leaving a tract, always be diligent to pray about the short gospel message. Pray that it be found by someone who is in need of Jesus’ saving grace, and pray that the person will have a tender heart and open ears to receive the gift Jesus desires to give them.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, even a small tract can help in turning a broken sinner from darkness to light.
SHARE THE GOSPEL!
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR