More than 500 years ago Martin Luther started a reformation when he posted his 95 thesis to the door of a church in Wittenburg, Germany. To this day, Luther is called the Great Reformer of the Protestant Reformation. Luther is also well remembered for the more than 30 hymns he composed and published, many of which we still sing.
Of the songs Luther composed, three are categorized as reformation hymns: O Lord Look Down from Heaven Behold, Lord Keep Us Steadfast in Thy Word, and A Mighty Fortress Is Our God, the most well-known of Luther’s hymns. A Mighty Fortress Is Our God is deemed to be the “Battle Hymn of the Reformation.”
WATCH VIDEOS BELOW
A Mighty Fortress Is Our God
Martin Luther wrote this hymn by reflection on Psalm 46. The psalm is one of trust and thanksgiving when facing impending danger (the historical background is the invasion of Israel by Sennacherib during the reign of Hezekiah 2 Kings 18:13-19:37).
The psalm begins by proclaiming knowledge and trust in God:
“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” (Isa 46:1)
It speaks of courage in the face of natural disasters (Psa 46:2-3) and God’s presence with His people and His care for them (Psa 46:5,7).
It speaks of the heathens raging and God’s mighty power to defend His people (Isa 46:6, 8-9) as well as their need to stop striving and let God fight for them:
Psa 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
The psalmist then ends with the same thought with which he began — God’s presence and the comfort that is found in Him:
Psa 46:11 The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.
Luther’s Reformation Hymns
A Contemporary Rendition of “A Mighty Fortress is Our God”¹ — 1529
“The Battle Hymn of the Reformation”
A Traditional Rendition of “A Mighty Fortress is Our God”¹ — 1529
“The Battle Hymn of the Reformation”
O Lord, Look Down from Heaven, Behold² — 1524
Lord, Keep Us Steadfast in Thy Word³ — 1543
Another Popular Song by Martin Luther, 1523
¹ Hymn 262, The Lutheran Hymnal, Text: Psalm 46, Author: Martin Luther, 1529, Titled: “Ein’ feste Burg ist unser Gott,” Tune: “Ein’ feste Burg,” 1st Published in: Klug’s Gesangbuch, Town: Wittenberg, 1529
² Hymn 260, The Lutheran Hymnal, Text: Ps. 12, Author: Martin Luther, 1523, Titled: “Ach Gott vom Himmel, sieh darein” Tune: “Ach Gott vom Himmel” 1st Published in: Enchiridion, Town: Erfurt, 1524
³ Hymn 261, The Lutheran Hymnal, Text: John 8:31, Author: Martin Luther, 1541, Titled: “Erhalt uns, Herr, bei deinem Wort,” Tune: “Erhalt uns, Herr,” 1st Published in: Geistliche Lieder, Town: Wittenberg, 1543
The Great Reformation
- What are the Five Solas of the Reformation?
- A Great Christian Song for Halloween (article and videos)
- The Most Important Five Points for All Christians
- Reformers You Might Not Know
- Martin Luther on Trial (500th Anniversary of the Reformation)
- Martin Luther's Reformation Hymns (article and videos)
- Reformation Quiz: Discerning Truth and Error
- His Be The Victor's Name/The Great Accuser Roars (song video)
- What are Martin Luther’s Five Solas of the Reformation? (video)
- What are the Three Reformation Hymns by Martin Luther?
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED