When Jesus died on the cross, where did He go prior to His resurrection three days later? Does the Bible tell us?
The Bible not only tells where Jesus’ body went, it also tells of His soul and Spirit.
1) Jesus’ body was placed in the tomb of a friend.
Mat 27:59-60 When Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth, and laid it in his new tomb which he had hewn out of the rock; and he rolled a large stone against the door of the tomb, and departed.
Mark 15:46 And he bought fine linen, and took him down, and wrapped him in the linen, and laid him in a sepulchre which was hewn out of a rock, and rolled a stone unto the door of the sepulchre.
2) Jesus’ soul went into the heart of the earth. In giving a sign to the scribes and Pharisees, Jesus said:
Matthew 12:40 “For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.”
3) Jesus committed His Spirit to His Father:
Luke 23:46 And when Jesus had cried out with a loud voice, He said, “Father, ‘into Your hands I commit My spirit.’ ” Having said this, He breathed His last.
The Heart of the Earth
Jesus’ words, “the heart of the earth,” were a reference to Abraham’s Bosom (Luke 16). Abraham’s Bosom was not Heaven. It was a place deep within the earth. It was a holding place for the souls of all righteous people (those who died with faith in God).
Just as Jesus had said, He was in “the heart of the earth” for “three days and three nights.” Then He rose, bodily from the grave and His soul rose from Abraham’s Bosom.
There was another place (and still is) within the earth. It is the destiny of all who rejected God prior to the cross and those who now reject Jesus. The clearest information we have about Abraham’s Bosom comes from Jesus Himself when He told of Lazarus and the rich man.
Luke16:22 “So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s bosom. The rich man also died and was buried.”
In verse 23, the place of comfort is again referred to as the bosom of Abraham. And it’s revealed that the rich man was able to see both Abraham and Lazarus from the place of torments in Hades.
Luke 16:23 “And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his [Abraham’s] bosom.
Jesus Did Not Go to Hell
Some have said that Jesus went to the place of torment to pay for our sins by receiving the punishment we should receive. This is untrue and is a misunderstanding of the Greek word “hades,” which is translated “hell” in English. Today we use the word Hell to exclusively mean the place of torment, but prior to Jesus’ atonement for sins, Hell (Hades) was the place of all departed souls. The word hell referred to both chambers, Abraham’s Bosom and the place of torment. For more information on this, read Did Jesus descend into Hell?
The Heart of the Earth / Abraham’s Bosom / Paradise
Jesus also called “the place of comfort” by the name, “Paradise,” when the thief on the cross proclaimed faith in Him, Jesus said, “…Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.” (Luke 23:43)
Both Jesus and the thief on the cross died that day, and neither went into the presence of the Father in Heaven. The souls of both entered into the place of comfort. They went to Abraham’s Bosom.
The Ascension Changed Everything
When Jesus ascended to Heaven, He emptied Abraham’s Bosom and led the Old Testament saints to their heavenly home.
Ephesians 4:8-10 Therefore He says: “When He ascended on high, He led captivity captive, And gave gifts to men.” (Now this, “He ascended”; what does it mean but that He also first descended into the lower parts of the earth? He who descended is also the One who ascended far above all the heavens, that He might fill all things.)
In leading the Old Testaments saints into the presence of God, Jesus fulfilled the prophecy of Psalm 68:18
Psa 68:18 You have ascended on high, You have led captivity captive…
Since that time, there remains only one abode of the dead in the earth. It is the place of torments, the place where all who die with unforgiven sins will go.
Share the Love and Saving Grace of Jesus
We don’t want anyone to go to the place of torments. Share the love of Jesus with people today. Tell of His saving grace to those who do not know Him. Explain how they can receive forgiveness of their sins, peace with God, and eternal life with Jesus. Then, when they take their last breath and step into eternity, they will go UP to Heaven not DOWN to Hell. By the grace of Jesus, they will be received into the loving arms of God and the fellowship of all who know and love Jesus.
John 3:16 “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.”
John 3:36 “He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”
Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
For more about the place where souls went prior to the cross, read:
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas