Let’s lay some groundwork for answering this question. In the fall, Eve was first tempted by the devil when he said to her,
“For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”(Gen 3:5)
Eve listened to the devil’s words and then lusted after the forbidden fruit. She saw that the fruit looked good (lust of the eyes), thought that it would satisfy her desire (lust of the flesh), and believed what the devil said about it making her like God (the pride of life).
1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
Eve ate, and then so did Adam.
When Adam and Eve ate of the forbidden fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, sin entered God’s perfect creation. And, we know what followed. Because our God is a just God, He had to judge and punish their sin.
Sin must always be judged and “paid for” (atoned). Therefore, God declared what we now call “the curse” – a punishment including three things:
- Woman would have pain in childbirth
- Man would have toil in working the earth to produce food.
- Death would enter the world — they died spiritually and began dying physically.
The Advent of a New Temptation
In the 21st century we have seen technological advancements beyond our wildest dreams. Much of technology that was seen only in science fiction movies in mid-late 20th century has become a reality. And more advancements are looming large on the horizon. Significant is the advent of far and wide-reaching artificial intelligence (AI) — a technology that can bring about Transhumanism. I suggest that both are not a blessing, but rather a curse.
What is Artificial Intelligence (AI)?
A simple definition from Wikipedia defines AI as “intelligence—perceiving, synthesizing, and inferring information—demonstrated by machines, as opposed to intelligence displayed by non-human animals and humans. Example tasks in which this is done include speech recognition, computer vision, translation between (natural) languages, as well as other mappings of inputs.”
Therefore, we could say that AI in inanimate intelligence. Although some would argue that AI has a “life” of its own.
What is Transhumanism?
Again, Wikipedia gives a simple definition: Transhumanism is “a philosophical and intellectual movement which advocates the enhancement of the human condition by developing and making widely available sophisticated technologies that can greatly enhance longevity and cognition.”
While Wikipedia defines Transhumanism as “a movement which advocates the enhancement of the human condition,” it should be noted that this movement has became a reality. In July of 2022, a chip using AI was implanted in the brain of a human for the purpose of overcoming severe paralysis. (Read: Synchron Announces First Human U.S. Brain-Computer Interface Implant) Therefore, we should think of Transhumanism as more than just a movement. We should think of Transhumanism as the result of transcending the human condition through AI.
Why Should We Fear AI and Transhumanism?
I would suggest that AI and Transhumanism will lead to mankind’s second fall. Why do I say that? Because in the fall of Adam and Eve, they were disobedient to God’s will and ways and they…
- desired to have something God had not given them (the forbidden fruit),
- did something God had told them not to do (ate the fruit), and
- desired to be something God had not intended them to be (desired to transcend their human condition to be like God).
Leaders in the AI and Transhumanism Movement
In an article from the Christian Post, Dr. Yuval Noah Harari, top advisor to Klaus Schwab, WEF founder and leader, is quoted from his speech at the WEF in Davos, Switzerland in January 2023:
“We are no longer mysterious souls; humans are now hackable animals … replacing evolution by natural selection with intelligent design. Not the intelligent design of some God above the clouds, but the intelligent design of our clouds, the IBM cloud, the Microsoft clouds. These are the new driving forces of evolution … the idea that humans are spiritual beings having free will is over … through Transhumanism, we become the Gods. It’s a religion coming from silicon valley.”
In the same article, Ray Kurzweil, head of engineering at Google, is quoted as having predicted humans would be transformed into “Spiritual Machines” because they will “resurrect” our minds onto supercomputers, potentially extending our lifespan indefinitely. He predicted that technological advances could make our bodies incorruptible, preventing diseases and decay. People would acquire knowledge by uploading it to their brains stored on a supercomputer. Nanotechnology would allow us to remake Earth into a paradise and expand into space to inhabit other planets. This hybrid human creature would have limitless power.
According to the WEF, “The central premise of transhumanism, then, is that biological evolution will eventually be overtaken by advances in genetic, wearable, and implantable technologies that artificially expedite the evolutionary process.”
Additionally, the transhumanist declaration asserts, “We favor morphological freedom — the right to modify and enhance one’s body, cognition, and emotions.”
Consider Harari’s Words
In essence Harari said, humans are animals who can be intelligently designed (hacked) as a means of natural selection. That sounds like darwinian theory and Hitler’s manifesto (Mein Kampf).
Clearly the agenda behind this is to create a superior race of people, engineered by man not born of man. This is a re-creation of man and rejection of God’s design. God designed reproduction or procreation by husband and wife. If people are “designed” or “re-designed” by Artificial Intelligence, they will not have, or they will lose, that which God designed — being born in the image of Adam (Gen 5:3) who was created in the image of God (Gen 1:27).
Consider Kurzweil’s Words
Kurzweil thinks the following can be done:
- humans transformed into “Spiritual Machines”
- “resurrect” our minds onto supercomputers,
- extending our lifespan indefinitely.
- make our bodies incorruptible
- preventing diseases and decay.
- acquire knowledge by uploading it to their brains stored on a supercomputer.
- remake Earth into a paradise and expand into space to inhabit other planets.
- and this hybrid human creature would have limitless power.
Be Like God?
Remember what Satan said, “you will be like God?” Compare that to Kurzweil’s Words:
#2. “resurrect” our minds onto supercomputers,
#6. acquire knowledge by uploading it to brains stored on a supercomputer.
#8, a hybrid human creature would have limitless power.
Reversing the Curse
Remember what God said: there will be pain in childbirth, labor for food, and death, both spiritually and physically. Compare that to Kurzweil’s Words:
#1. humans transformed into “Spiritual Machines”
#3. extending our lifespan indefinitely.
#4. make our bodies incorruptible and
#5 preventing diseases and decay.
Finally, remember that God pronounced a curse on the earth (Gen 3:18) that brought forth thorns and thistles. Compare that to Kurzweil’s Words: #7. remake Earth into a paradise and expand into space to inhabit other planets.
AI and Transhumanism is an attempt to elevate mankind to be like God, and reverse the curse on both man and earth.
“Morphological Freedom” — Wake Up America (and the World), “We Have a Problem”
The WEF stated, “We favor morphological freedom — the right to modify and enhance one’s body, cognition, and emotions.” That’s a HUGE problem. And I suggest it could just be the second “fall” of mankind.
In the fall (Gen 3), God promised to send a Rescuer and He was faithful to do so. He sent us Jesus!
In the second “fall,” when man is truly “playing” God and putting himself on the “throne” of the earth, God will do the same. He will judge the world and He will send Jesus to clean up the mess (Rev 19:11ff). Blood will be shed, but it won’t be the redeeming blood of Jesus Christ. Sadly, it will be the blood of sinful people who rejected the saving grace of Jesus. And finally, Jesus will set up His earthly kingdom of righteousness and peace, thereby reversing the curse according to God’s perfect purpose and plan.
What Can You Do? Pray! And…
1. Remember, mankind was created in the image of God. And just as God is volitional, ie. He has free will to choose, so also doe man. Therefore…
“choose this day whom you will serve…but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.” (Josh 24:15)
2. Believe that the curse is real. It cannot be reversed, no matter how hard man might try. But it can be overcome by the blood of the Lamb. Trust in Jesus, who paid the penalty for the sins of the world and offers forgiveness to all who come to Him in faith.
Tell all people about the love and saving grace of Jesus — call the lost to repent and be saved, and call believers to return and be sanctified.
3. Know that man can never be like God. It can not happen, not even with AI. Man is a finite, fallen, and imperfect in all his ways. Even forgiven sinners, saved by Jesus and promised eternal life, are finite and continue to sin. God is an infinite being, perfect in all His ways. Love and serve only God.
Isa 42:8 I am the LORD, that is My name; And My glory I will not give to another…
Isa 48:11 … And I will not give My glory to another.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED