“Thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.” I Corinthians 15:57
Individuals, churches, and nations have the privilege and responsibility of giving thanks to God. Each of us should be quick to acknowledge the many ways that God’s goodness has been extended in our lives. Once we realize that God is in control of each day, a consistent attitude of praise and thanksgiving can replace feelings of doubt or insecurity.
From the Pilgrims themselves to America’s founding fathers, to godly leaders of recent times, our heritage has included recognition of our corporate dependence on God. In late November 1620, after having been at sea for over two months, the Mayflower’s 102 passengers arrived in Massachusetts. On December 11, 1620, they signed the “Mayflower Compact,” America’s first document of civil government.
The Mayflower Compact heavily influenced all subsequent founding documents. It stated that the Pilgrim’s purpose was, “the glory of God, and the advancement of the Christian faith.”
On land, shelters and rough living quarters had been quickly built. Yet by the spring half of all the Pilgrims were dead. The Pilgrims planted their fields and that summer their farming efforts yielded a bountiful crop. While the increase was given by God, the Pilgrims knew that their harvest was due in part to the assistance given by helpful Indians.
On December 13, 1621, the Pilgrims began a three-day feast to thank the Lord and to celebrate with the friendly Indians. The Pilgrims knew that their survival was due to Almighty God. The words of Pilgrim Edward Winslow give insight into the meaning of the event:
“Our harvest being gotten in, our Governor sent four men on fowling, so that we might, after a special manner, rejoice together…Many of the Indians came amongst us, and their greatest King, Massosoit, with some 90 men, who for 3 days we entertained and feasted…And although it be not always so plentiful as it was at this time with us, yet by the goodness of God, we are far from want.”
Two years after the first Thanksgiving, Governor William Bradford proclaimed November 29, 1623 to be an official day of thanks. Bradford decreed:
“I do proclaim that all ye Pilgrims, with your wives and little ones, do gather at ye meeting house, there to listen to ye pastor and render thanksgiving to ye Almighty God for His blessings…”
Our nation’s day of Thanksgiving to God was declared and passed into law more than 150 years later.
- In 1779, Thomas Jefferson, governor of Virginia, proclaimed November 11th as a day of “Public and solemn Thanksgiving to Almighty God.”
- In 1785, the Governor of New Hampshire, John Langdon, set aside November 24, “…to testify our gratitude to the Author of all our Mercies, and to confess our manifold transgressions.” Langdon’s official decree also asked that God would, “bless our seminaries, and spread the Gospel over all the earth.” Several other states passed Thanksgiving decrees that carried similar sentiments.
- In 1789, with the unanimous approval of Congress, George Washington proclaimed that a National Day of Thanksgiving be observed on Thursday, November 26, of that same year. Representing the Christian context from which America was formed; Washington decreed also for prayer to be made that God would “…promote the knowledge and practice of the true religion…”
- In 1863, Abraham Lincoln passed a Thanksgiving resolution that stated, “It is announced in the Holy Scriptures and proven by all history, that those nations are blessed whose God is the Lord.”
It is clear that our forefathers were a thankful people, and the object of their worship was the God of the Bible.
In 2017, we must remember that the Lord is our source of all gifts. Without Him, we have nothing and we are nothing!
- Let’s pray that God gives Americans thankful hearts.
- Let’s pray that all who belong to Jesus be filled with devotion to Him and a desire to walk in His will and ways and serve Him.
- Let’s pray that all who do not know Jesus would come to an understanding of His mercy and love, would be humbled and repentant, and would trust in Jesus and find the saving grace He desires to give them.
Happy Thanksgiving. All Thanks Be To God!
ALEX MCFARLAND is a well-known and respected Christian apologist, author, evangelist, speaker, and culture and religion analyst. As the organizer of Truth for a New Generation Conferences, he presents timely truths to build and strengthen a biblical worldview. Alex is the host of TNG Radio and the co-host of Exploring the Word on American Family Radio. He is the founder and organizer of Truth for a New Generation Conferences. Bio for Alex McFarland
***Lent: 40 Titles for 40 Days (Download NOW: 40 Titles for Lenten Devotions)
What is Lent? Should I Give Up Something? (Article and Video)
This Time Called Lent (Video)
Prepare for Lent (Video)
Lent Reflections (Video)
How Should You Observe Lent? (Article)
How Should You Observe Lent? (Reflect and Prepare short video)
Have You Sat At The Master’s Table? (John 13-17)
About Holy Week
The Last Supper
Was Jesus crucified on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Thursday Crucifixion? Do these two reasons “nail” it?
Why do we call it good [Friday]?
Were you there when they crucified my Lord?
How is Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the Crimson Worm? A Remez In Psalm 22?
Who do you need to reconcile with today?
Who Killed Jesus?
Since Jesus was the Passover LAMB, Why Didn't God Provide a Lamb in Genesis 22?
Did Pilate Proclaim Jesus to be God?
Was Jesus Forsaken by His Father?
The centurion's song from the foot of the cross: “Surely This Was a Righteous Man”
Journey to the Cross: Maundy Thursday and Good Friday
How Do We Know Psalm 22 Is About The Cross?
Three Days in the Heart of the Earth
About Easter and Resurrection Life
Because He Lives, I Can Face Tomorrow (video)
Christ the Lord is Risen Today, Alleluia (video)
A Place in the Sun (Son) (video)
You'll Never Walk Alone (video)
How to Close Your Eyes and Really SEE Jesus!
Open Your Eyes to The Full Gospel
Are you glad to see Jesus?
Ponder the Prophecies of Jesus’ Mission (video and downloadable file)
What If We Skipped Easter This Year?
He’s back….and it changed everything!
The Lord is Risen Indeed! Hallelujah!
Because He Rose: The resurrection changed everything! (video)
What’s the Meaning of the Folded Napkin in the tomb?
Keep Easter Alive in Your Heart: He Came Back (video)
The Only Soul-Saver, Sin-Forgiver, Chain-Breaker, Pain-Taker, Way-Maker, Hope-Giver: Jesus
Keep Looking Up
Praise God, He’s Alive
Christian Internet Forwards? The Rest of “The Birdcage” Story? (video)
Ways to Glorify God - Bookmark
Watch NOW...You will be blessed.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas