The Bible tells us that, on earth, man sees “through a glass, darkly” or “through a mirror, dimly” (1 Cor 13:12a), but in Heaven, we will see “face-to-face” (1 Cor 13:12b). In Heaven, we will see God in all His unveiled glory.
Even in ancient days, the Old Testament saints knew that one day they would behold their God. David wrote about seeing God, “As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness…”(Psa 17:15). And John wrote in his apocalyptic writing (apocalyptic means unveiling) that, in eternity, we “shall see His face” (Rev 22:4). So yes, the Bible says that we will see the face of God in Heaven. But has anyone seen God here on earth? And when we do see God in Heaven, what will He look like?
In Ancient Times
The Old Testament clearly tells that God spoke to Moses, face to face (Ex 33:11) at Mt. Sinai, and yet God said, “You cannot see My face; for no man shall see Me, and live” (Ex 33:20). So what did Moses see? He saw God’s glory as it passed by him. He only saw God’s back:
Exo 33:21-23 And the LORD said, “Here is a place by Me, and you shall stand on the rock. So it shall be, while My glory passes by, that I will put you in the cleft of the rock, and will cover you with My hand while I pass by. Then I will take away My hand, and you shall see My back; but My face shall not be seen.”
Isaiah also saw God “sitting on a throne, high and lifted up” (Isa 6:1). So what did Isaiah see? It appears from the text that the Lord was so far above, He was so “high and lifted up,” that the only thing Isaiah saw was “the train of His robe [that] filled the temple” (Isa 6:1).
In the Days of Jesus
- Jesus said, “…he who has seen Me has seen the Father…” (John 14:9) and ” I and my Father are one” (John 10:30).
- John wrote that “…we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father…” (John 1:14)
- Thomas called Jesus, “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:26).
- Peter wrote that Jesus is “God and our Saviour” (2 Pet 1:1).
- Paul wrote, calling Jesus “our great God and Saviour” (Titus 2:13) and that the Christ… “who is over all, the eternally blessed God” (Ro 9:5).
- Even the verse in Revelation 22 that says we “shall see His face…” is preceded with a verse that speaks of the unity of the Father and the Son (Rev 22:3-4).
All these verses reveal the oneness of the Trinity — One God in three distinct Persons. (Read: How Can I Understand the Trinity?)
In Heaven, What will God look like?
The Bible doesn’t give us a description of what God the Father looks like. So we don’t have a definitive answer. However, knowing that Jesus is the “the brightness of [God’s] glory, and the express image of His person…” (Heb 1:3), we can come to a biblically reasoned conclusion that when we see God face-to-face, He will look like Jesus! This should evoke both awe and wonder. While we cannot fully comprehend the mystery of the Trinity, there is much that we can understand:
- The Father is Spirit.
- The Spirit is Spirit.
- The Son took on flesh and became fully man and fully God.
- Those three Persons are One God.
Therefore, it is reasonable to suggest that when we see the Triune God—Father, Son, and Spirit—what we will behold is the face of Jesus. And when we look into God’s eyes, we will be looking into the eyes of our God and our Saviour!
Now, this is only biblical reasoning because, until we go to Heaven and stand before God, we can only imagine what we will see. Furthermore, when we see God, His appearance will be more glorious and more awesome than we can possibly imagine or even attempt to put into words. Perhaps that is why the Bible gives so little description of what God will look like in Heaven. It’s possible that our finite minds cannot conceive of any greater detail beyond that which God has already given. And, perhaps, it is God’s desire that His appearance be a mystery so that we stand in awe and wonder when His glory is fully revealed, when we “see Him as He is” (1 John 3:2).
What We Do Know
We know that we will see Jesus “face-to-face.” What a glorious day that will be. Until that time, take 1 minute to get a glimpse of His face.
Click here to actually see Jesus in your mind’s eye: Close Your Eyes and SEE Jesus!
About Focusing Your Eyes on Jesus
Eph 1:18 the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,
What is Anthropomorphism?
Will We See the Face of God in Heaven? What Will He Look Like?
Close Your Eyes and SEE Jesus!
The Anthropomorphic Expressions of God
How Should We Understand…
The Mind of God?
The Face of God?
The Eyes of God?
The Ears of God?
The Nose of God?
The Voice of God?
The Shoulder of God?
The Back of God?
The Arms of God?
The Hands of God?
The Fingers of God?
The Feet of God?
The Heart of God?
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED