The Doctrine of the Trinity is difficult to understand because our finite human brains are unable to fully conceive of an infinite being. However, God’s Word gives us everything we need to come to an understanding of the nature of God as a Triune Being.
The Bible teaches that the Father is God, Jesus is God, and the Holy Spirit is God—and that there is only one God. Each Person of the Trinity is Himself distinct. We often simply state this as: The Trinity is one God, existing in three Persons (remember this does not mean three Gods. It means three distinct Persons, ONE God).
The word Trinity is not found in Scripture but the foundation for our doctrinal understanding and definition of it is most definitely found there. Trinity is understood to be synonymous with the term Triune God—three coexistent, co-eternal, and co-equal Persons who are one God. Let’s look at some scriptural references to better understand the Trinity.
There is One God
Deuteronomy 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD…
1 Corinthians 8:4 …we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.
Galatians 3:20 Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one.
1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus…
The Trinity Consists of Three Persons
1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.(The Hebrew word for God used in Genesis 1:1 is Elohim, a plural word)
1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness…
3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil…
11:7 Go to, let us go down…
Isaiah 6:8 Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?
Matthew 3:16-17 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. [In this verse we see the presence of all three Persons of the Trinity: the Son, Jesus, the Spirit descending and the Father speaking]
Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. [Only one name, but three Persons]
2 Corinthians 13:14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen. [Again we read of all three Persons of the Trinity]
1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
Three in One
Each Person of the Trinity is God. The Father is God (John 6:27, Romans 1:7, 1 Peter 1:2). The Son is God (John 1:1, John 1:14, Romans 9:5, Colossians 2:9, Hebrews 1:8, 1 John 5:20). The Holy Spirit is God (Acts 5:3-4, 1 Corinthians 3:16).
There is a pattern of subordination within the Trinity, regarding order, but not substance or essence. The Son is subordinate to the Father (Luke 22:42, John 5:36, John 20:21, 1 John 4:14); the Holy Spirit is subordinate to the Son and the Father (John 14:16, John 14:26, John 15:26, John 16:7, 13-14). We need to be careful to understand this subordination in terms of their work, not their Persons, power or position, for they are equal in those. Jesus surrenders to the will of the Father. Or it could be said that He does the work that the Father gives Him to do:
John 17:4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.
The Spirit does the work of the Father and the Son:
John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
John 16:13-14 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall show it unto you.
Yes, the Trinity is a difficult doctrine. While it can never be fully comprehended it can be well understood by studying God’s Word. Just remember, the three Persons of the Trinity are equal in nature and one in being, but they are distinct in Person and distinguishable in their works.
Understanding the Trinity -- Our Triune God
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement to us. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas