The Doctrine of the Trinity is difficult to understand because our finite human brains are unable to fully conceive of an infinite being. However, God’s Word gives us everything we need to come to an understanding of the nature of God as a Triune Being.
The Bible teaches that the Father is God, Jesus is God, and the Holy Spirit is God—and that there is only one God. Each Person of the Trinity is Himself distinct. We often simply state this as: The Trinity is one God, existing in three Persons (remember this does not mean three Gods. It means three distinct Persons, ONE God).
The word Trinity is not found in Scripture but the foundation for our doctrinal understanding and definition of it is most definitely found there. Trinity is understood to be synonymous with the term Triune God—three coexistent, co-eternal, and co-equal Persons who are one God. Let’s look at some scriptural references to better understand the Trinity.
There is One God
Deuteronomy 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD…
1 Corinthians 8:4 …we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.
Galatians 3:20 Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one.
1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus…
The Trinity Consists of Three Persons
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.(The Hebrew word for God used in Genesis 1:1 is Elohim, a plural word)
Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness…
Genesis 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil…
Genesis 11:7 Go to, let us go down…
Isaiah 6:8 Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?
Matthew 3:16-17 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. [In this verse we see the presence of all three Persons of the Trinity: the Son, Jesus, the Spirit descending and the Father speaking]
Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. [Only one name, but three Persons]
2 Corinthians 13:14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen. [Again we read of all three Persons of the Trinity]
1 John 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
Each Person of the Trinity is God. The Father is God (John 6:27, Romans 1:7, 1 Peter 1:2). The Son is God (John 1:1, John 1:14, Romans 9:5, Colossians 2:9, Hebrews 1:8, 1 John 5:20). The Holy Spirit is God (Acts 5:3-4, 1 Corinthians 3:16).
There is a pattern of subordination within the Trinity, regarding order, but not substance or essence. The Son is subordinate to the Father (Luke 22:42, John 5:36, John 20:21, 1 John 4:14); the Holy Spirit is subordinate to the Son and the Father (John 14:16, John 14:26, John 15:26, John 16:7, 13-14). We need to be careful to understand this subordination in terms of their work, not their Persons, power or position, for they are equal in those. Jesus surrenders to the will of the Father. Or it could be said that He does the work that the Father gives Him to do:
John 17:4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.
The Spirit does the work of the Father and the Son:
John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
John 16:13-14 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall show it unto you.
Yes, the Trinity is a difficult doctrine. While it can never be fully comprehended it can be well understood by studying God’s Word. Just remember, the three Persons of the Trinity are equal in nature and one in being, but they are distinct in Person and distinguishable in their works.
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store