On the cross, Jesus uttered seven things:
1. ”Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” (Luke 23:34).
Fulfills Isa 53:12 …[He] made intercession for the transgressors.
2. ”Today shalt thou be with me in Paradise.” (Luke 23:43)
Fulfills the prophecy given to Joseph – “thou shalt call his name Jesus, for he shall save his people from their sins” (Matthew 1:21).
3. ”Woman, behold thy Son.” (John 19:26)
Fulfills the prophecy of Simeon – “A sword shall pierce through thy own soul also” (Luke 2:35).
4. ”My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” (Mat 27:46, Mark 15:34)
Jesus was quoting Psalm 22:1.
5. ”I thirst.” (John 19:28)
Fulfills Psalm 69:21 – “In my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink”.
6. ”It is Finished.” (John 19:30).
Psalm 22 ends with, “He hath done” (vs 31). It could also be rendered, “He hath finished.” The context refers to what has been done/finished — the work of atonement.
7. “Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit.” (Luke 23:46)
The same words David prayed: Into thine hand, I commit my spirit: thou hast redeemed me, O LORD God of truth. (Ps 31:5)
“It is Finished”
The sixth thing Jesus proclaimed on the cross was, “It is finished.” Jesus had finished the work that His Father sent Him to do, and He had glorified His Father (John 17:4) Because “It is finished,” Jesus’ eye is upon you and His arm is around you. Oh, what amazing grace and abounding love!
The day will come when Jesus ushers in Eternity, and proclaims, “It is done!” (Rev 21:6) Until then, we live in hope, knowing that Jesus is present with us and…
Because It is Finished
Tullian Tchividjian recently wrote, and then read, the following statements regarding the present power we experience in those three words Jesus spoke almost 2000 years ago.
BECAUSE IT IS FINISHED…You are free from the impossible burden of having to earn God’s love and acceptance.
BECAUSE IT IS FINISHED…There is nothing you can ever do or fail to do that will tempt God to leave you, forsake you, or stop loving you.
BECAUSE IT IS FINISHED…You cannot sin beyond the coverage of God’s forgiveness.
BECAUSE IT IS FINISHED…The sins you can’t forget, God doesn’t remember.
BECAUSE IT IS FINISHED…You are NOT defined by your worst moments or your greatest accomplishments; your struggles or your successes; your strengths or your weaknesses. You ARE defined by who you belong to.
BECAUSE IT IS FINISHED…You can talk truthfully about the worst parts of you, without being afraid of others’ disapproval, because the only approval that ultimately matters is God’s and you already have it.
BECAUSE IT IS FINISHED…You can endure rejection from others because you will never have to endure rejection from God.
BECAUSE IT IS FINISHED…You can freely admit when you are wrong because your value is not dependent on being right, but rather on the righteousness of Jesus that covers you.
BECAUSE IT IS FINISHED…God loves you unconditionally and that means you are free from needing everybody else to like you.
BECAUSE IT IS FINISHED…You can love others without needing them to love you back because all of the love you need, you already have.
BECAUSE IT IS FINISHED… Who you ultimately are has nothing to do with you. Your identity is firmly anchored in Jesus’ performance, not yours; His record, not yours. You are NOT what you do, or don’t do. You ARE what Jesus has done for you.
BECAUSE IT IS FINISHED…We can join our voices with the song of Heaven in Revelation 5 and say, “We are not worthy, but the lamb who was slain is worthy, and by the grace of His saving death, we are what we are: beloved sons and daughters of God.”
***Lent: 40 Titles for 40 Days (Download NOW: 40 Titles for Lenten Devotions)
What is Lent? Should I Give Up Something? (Article and Video)
This Time Called Lent (Video)
Prepare for Lent (Video)
Lent Reflections (Video)
How Should You Observe Lent? (Article)
How Should You Observe Lent? (Reflect and Prepare short video)
Have You Sat At The Master’s Table? (John 13-17)
About Holy Week
The Last Supper
What is Maundy Thursday? The Basin & The Towel
Maundy Thursday until Easter Sunday (video)
What’s your Judas experience? The Pain of Betrayal
What Do We Know about Judas? This Might Surprise You.
The Last Supper was NOT a Passover Seder?
Was Jesus crucified on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Thursday Crucifixion? Do these two reasons “nail” it?
Why do we call it good [Friday]?
Were you there when they crucified my Lord?
How is Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the Crimson Worm? A Remez In Psalm 22?
Who do you need to reconcile with today?
Who Killed Jesus?
Since Jesus was the Passover LAMB, Why Didn't God Provide a Lamb in Genesis 22?
Did Pilate Proclaim Jesus to be God?
Was Jesus Forsaken by His Father?
The centurion's song from the foot of the cross: “Surely This Was a Righteous Man”
Journey to the Cross: Maundy Thursday and Good Friday
How Do We Know Psalm 22 Is About The Cross?
Three Days in the Heart of the Earth
The Days of Darkness
Sadness and Despair: The Darkest Days of All Time
Obituary of Jesus: Body Stolen or Risen? What do you say?
About Easter and Resurrection Life
The Father's, Son's and Believer's Perspectives of the Cross
Because He Lives, I Can Face Tomorrow (video)
Christ the Lord is Risen Today, Alleluia (video)
A Place in the Sun (Son) (video)
You'll Never Walk Alone (video)
How to Close Your Eyes and Really SEE Jesus!
Open Your Eyes to The Full Gospel
Are you glad to see Jesus?
Ponder the Prophecies of Jesus’ Mission (video and downloadable file)
What If We Skipped Easter This Year?
He’s back….and it changed everything!
The Lord is Risen Indeed! Hallelujah!
Because He Rose: The resurrection changed everything! (video)
What’s the Meaning of the Folded Napkin in the tomb?
Keep Easter Alive in Your Heart: He Came Back (video)
The Only Soul-Saver, Sin-Forgiver, Chain-Breaker, Pain-Taker, Way-Maker, Hope-Giver: Jesus
Keep Looking Up
Praise God, He’s Alive
Christian Internet Forwards? The Rest of “The Birdcage” Story? (video)
Ways to Glorify God - Bookmark
Watch NOW...You will be blessed.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED