From Paul’s letter to the church at Galatia we read, “But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.” (Galatians 5:16 – NASB)
“The flesh,” a most peculiar term, so prevalent in the New Testament. How is one to understand it? One thing we do know and that is that “the flesh” is always in opposition to “the Spirit.” The two are against one another.
“For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you many not do the things that you please.” (Galatians 5:17 – NASB)
Paul writes in Romans regarding “the flesh,”
“For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.” (Romans 8:5 – NASB)
Someone has written in regards to this term, “the flesh,”
“The term Paul often uses to describe what remains of the ‘old man.’ It refers to unredeemed humanness, the part of a believer that awaits future redemption at the time of his/her glorification. Until then he/she has a redeemed self living in an unredeemed humanness . . . . creates conflict.”
God has chosen to place within these bodies of ours, “the flesh,” His Spirit. He has chosen to give us a new heart, one that is in “opposition” to “the flesh” we dwell in. The Holy Spirit has come upon us and has empowered us to live for God, and He has given us His Word to instruct us in just how to do that, just how to “walk” not “according to the flesh . . . but . . . according to the Spirit.”
In this “flesh” which you and I inhabit this side of heaven, we are commanded to “walk by the Spirit” and “not” to “carry out the desire of the flesh.” It is a most complex matter for sure, but not one that we should not be able to understand. It is a struggle for sure, but yet we have the power from God to thwart “the things of the flesh” and live “according to the Spirit.”
“Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.” (Galatians 5:24 – NASB)
As we “walk by the Spirit,” we become, in our “flesh,” our “humanness,” vessels by which God witnesses to the world of His great redemptive plan for mankind, witnesses who stand out because they no longer seek to “carry out the desire of the flesh . . . with its passions and desire,” but rather seek to live their lives “by the Spirit.”
Be sure of this brethren,
“For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God . . . and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.” (Romans 8:6-8 – NASB)
Have a good day brethren . . . and if you are of Christ then take heed that the flesh and the Spirit are not in agreement with one another, and that you are clearly called to live according to the Spirit and not according to the flesh.
Read also: Peter and the wolf?
Following the Good, Great and Chief Shepherd
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
Is there a hidden message in Revelation 7?
Is there a hidden message in Genesis 5?
Receive articles like this in your inbox. Sign up NOW.
The Top Ten Power of Hope articles in 2015
The best eulogy to remember a father!
Jesus wept. It’s not the shortest verse.
Are you glad to see Jesus?
Misconceptions about Christmas
At the Gate of the Year: A Message to a Troubled Nation
See Jesus on every page of the Bible!
Surely This Was a Righteous Man
How should I witness to Jehovah’s Witnesses?
Hear, See, Speak and POST No Evil
The Top Ten Got Questions? of 2015
Is my TATTOO a sin?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Is It a Sin to Drink Alcohol?
The Meaning of Colors in the Bible? /The Meaning of Numbers in the Bible?
What is the unpardonable sin? What if I commit it?
Is it a sin to be fat?
Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
Is there a hidden message in Rev 7? Why is Dan missing?
Did Jesus descend into Hell?
Where did OT saints go at death? What’s Abraham’s Bosom?
Recent Got Questions?
Did Pilate Proclaim Jesus to be God?
What is Maundy Thursday?
Does God create EVIL as Isaiah 45:7 says?
Are we the Bride of Christ now or is that future?
Is there an ERROR in Genesis 2:17 because Adam and Eve didn’t die?
Are the Jews of today still the CHOSEN people of God?
Is there a HIDDEN MESSAGE in Revelation 7?
How should I WITNESS to Jehovah’s Witnesses?
What do the 12 stones UNDER the Jordan River mean?
Got Questions? Submit them to questions@reasonsforhopeJesus.com
“LIKE” OUR FACEBOOK PAGE.
You’ll find apologetics information, inspiring pictures and much more posted on OUR FACEBOOK PAGE.
Receive articles like this in your inbox. Sign up NOW.
Like it! Tweet it! Pin it!
Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED