Your Greatest Stewardship – Keeping Your Heart
Guarding our hearts is a command and a responsibility for every Christian. It’s found in the book of Proverbs. Keeping one’s heart truly is our greatest stewardship responsibility because, we are told, from out of the heart come all life’s issues.
Prov 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
What Does it Mean to Keep Our Hearts?
What does it mean to keep your heart? The Hebrew word, translated keep, is “metaschematizo.” Some translations translate this word as guard, and, while that is a reminder to protect our hearts, the Hebrew word really implies much more.
Strong’s Dictionary defines the word as: 3345. metaschematizo, met-askh-ay-mat-id’-zo; from G3326 and a der. of G4976; to transfigure or disguise; fig. to apply (by accommodation):–transfer, transform (self); to change.
As Christians, we should understand that keeping our hearts is an active duty that we are called to perform. It truly is a work we do in our sanctification (not our justification. Read: The Gift of Salvation: Justification & Imputation and What you need to know about Sanctification & Glorification )
When we came to Christ in faith, we turned from our own ways and asked for His forgiveness of our sins. We died to our old man so we could live for Jesus according to His will and ways. When Jesus saved us, He made us a new creation. He regenerated (made alive) our souls and gave us a new heart. That is the heart we are to keep, to protect, and to let guide our lives.
The New Heart and the New Mind
We are told in the Old Testament that the heart of unregenerate man is “wicked and deceitful above all things” (Jer 17:9). In Jeremiah, it says the heart is “desperately wicked” and asks, “who can know it?”
That does not describe the new heart that Christians have. Jesus has given us a new heart, capable of feeling and expressing the love of God, and a new Spirit, His Holy Spirit. While it may not be “desperately wicked” it is capable of sin, so we must keep it from sin. Additionally, we have a new mind, “the mind of Christ” (1 Cor 2:16), which is a transformed mind, capable of knowing God, following the Spirit, and filling our hearts with the love of Jesus. So we can know our hearts and we are called to discern our heart’s intent.
Our Lives Move in the Direction of our Most Dominant Thoughts
That statement is a principle I defined in my first book, “Why the Butterfly? Rightly Remembering Jesus.” It’s a book about remembering the riches of Christ that we have received. Remembering is what Paul spoke about when he said that being “full of goodness, filled with all knowledge” we are “to admonish one another.” (Rom 15:14). To “admonish” means to “put into the mind.” It means to feed our minds because our minds and our hearts are what direct our words and actions. Our hearts and minds are “tied together” in ways we can’t fully comprehend but we know are God’s perfect design.
Keeping our hearts means keeping them pure. And, keeping our hearts can only be done by keeping our minds (pure). Whatever we to feed our minds will fill and fuel our hearts. Once again, Paul instructs us when he tells how to keep one’s mind:
“…whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy; meditate on these things.” (Phil 4:8)
Proverbs 23:7 warns that “as [a man] thinks in his heart, so is he.” So our hearts can “think”? That reveals the connection between our hearts and minds that God has hardwired us with.
The Answer to Keeping One’s Heart and Mind
Once again Paul reveals and instructs us. In Philippians 4:7, Paul writes about “the peace of God, which passes all understanding” and he says it “shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” (Phil 4:7)
How do we keep our hearts and minds? By receiving God’s peace!
We already have peace with God, but the peace of God is different [Read: What is the Difference Between Peace WITH God and Peace OF God?]. The peace of is a received peace of rest and calm.
So how do we receive the peace of God? I suggest it is accomplished by doing three things:
- Prayer: Casting our eyes upon Jesus (Heb 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith…)
- Reading our Bible: Renewing our minds in His Word (Romans 12:2 do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind…)Living
- Receiving the power to live godly among all people by the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit (Zec 4:6 Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit, Says the LORD of hosts, Phil 3:10a that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection…)
Receiving the Peace of God
The peace of God is a gift from God who is the giver of every good and perfect gift (James 1:17). [Read: What is the Difference Between Peace WITH God and Peace OF God?]
God desires to generously give us His peace. Therefore, feed your mind, fuel your heart, and always be cautious of what you see and hear. Both the eyes and the ears are entry-point gates that lead to the mind and heart (Read about the importance of protecting the eye and ear gates)
By keeping your heart and mind, and by guarding your “gates” (what you see and hear), you will receive the peace of the Lord, find rest in the riches of Christ, and be empowered to walk in the newness of life.
“Be content with such things as you have. For He, Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Heb 13:5)
Be “confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.” (Phil 1:6)
The Gift of SalvaTION: Justification & Imputation
What you need to know about Sanctification & Glorification
What is the Difference Between Peace WITH God and Peace OF God?
Is the Monkey at Your Gate? The Importance of Protecting the Eye and Ear Gates
Read more about love:
- A-Z Proof of Love that Never Fades
- What are the 10 Ways We Can Love Like Jesus?
- You Ask Why I Follow This Jesus? -- a short poem
- Because He First Loved Us - 1 John 4:19
- Faith, Hope, and Love — Why is Love the Greatest?
- Testify to Love (VIDEO)
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
- Extravagant Love that Captures our Hearts
- Fun Facts about Love
- Kids Say the Darndest Things (video)
- “The Five Love Languages” by God
- Do You Really Love Him?
- What Do Kids Say About Love?
- What’s Love Got to Do With It?
- What is Love?
- Is the Bible a love letter to me?
- Does God love the lost?
- Extravagant Love
- O Love That Will Not Let Me Go
- 24 Reasons “Why I Love America,” by John Wayne (video)
- The Legacy of Love — It’s Not Just For Fathers
- Mother’s Love
- Love Lifted Me
- True Love is Jesus (video)
- Won't You Be Mine (video)
- He Loves Me (video)
- Love One Another (video)
- True Love is Jesus (video)
- How Can I Understand the Love of God?
- Do You Have a Heart for God?
- A Heart for God Revealed in St. Patrick’s Prayer
- My Beloved is Mine and I am His
- Oh, To Love With a Pure Heart
- Love is. . .
- Is All Love Created Equal? CS Lewis Answers
- What Can Love Do? (video)
- What is Biblical Love?
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED