We’ve all heard the saying, “the monkey on your back.” It refers to a very burdensome nuisance that one has to deal with or just endure. It can be things such as a boss who micromanages everything, a bad habit that’s difficult to overcome, or even an addiction. Whatever it is, “the monkey on your back” is a heavy weight. It’s a burden. And that monkey isn’t a good thing. But there are another three monkeys –and they are very good. They’re gatekeepers and we can learn some valuable lessons from them. The three monkeys are the famous “Hear No Evil, See No Evil, and Speak No Evil” monkeys. They’ve been around for a long time, and they’re well known for their admonitions to guard the mind against the evils of this world and the world from the evils of our hearts.
As Christians, we know that, while we live in this world, we are not of this world (John 17:14). Our citizenship is in Heaven (Philippians 3:20). We are pilgrims here on earth (Hebrews 11:13). But do we live that way? There are times when we don’t think, speak, or act like citizens of God’s Kingdom. All too often we buy-into the ways of the world and we forget about the Kingdom, and sometimes even the King who rules and reigns.
Living for the King / Working in the Kingdom
Every Christian is part of the Kingdom of God on earth–the spiritual kingdom that is populated by all who belong to King Jesus. How do we live for our King? And how do we help build His Kingdom? It’s not easy because the kingdom of this world “speaks” so loudly and is so tempting. So how do we live without being influenced by the ways of this world? It’s a matter of keeping our focus clear and our direction straight. And it begins by protecting our minds. We must control what enters our minds because whatever enters our minds will eventually control our hearts and whatever controls our hearts will flow out of us through our words and actions.
Much of the information that enters our minds on a daily basis comes from worldly perspectives or a secular worldview. So it’s vitally important that we filter all information through God’s Word, evaluating everything against His will and His ways.
This is done by guarding the gates of our minds—the ear gate, the eye gate, and the mouth gate.
It should always be our goal to “Hear No Evil, See No Evil, and Speak No Evil.” We can learn a lot from these three little monkeys who for decades have proclaimed these truths:
These monkeys have been around for a long time (the book will tell you how long), but in our day there’s a fourth monkey and another gate that he must guard. In addition to the ear gate, eye gate, and mouth gate, can you guess what is the 21st-century gate? If you aren’t guarding this one, it will lead to serious trouble.
Find out the lessons from the four monkeys and how they teach God’s truth. If God can speak through a donkey…He can speak through a monkey!
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas