There is a struggle that each of us faces, daily . . . . .
- “For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, but I see a different law in the member of my body, waging war against the law of my mind, and making me a prisoner of the law of sin, which is in my members.” (Romans 7:22:-23 – NASB)
As a “new creation” in Christ (II Corinthians 5:17) I am one who “joyfully concur(s) with the law of God.” I believe it to be good and right and perfect in every way. I desire, in my new state, to do the “law of God,” not thinking I can earn my salvation by keeping “the law” but motivated by the desire to keep it because I love my Lord.
But I find I stumble a lot! I struggle at times with sin like a man plagued by a persistent physical problem, experiencing the very “war” the apostle Paul wrote of in our text, a “war . . . in my members,” that is, in my flesh. I sense the Spirit’s words and I often feel the powerful tug of “my members” to go against His leading . . . and the “war” becomes very real.
This morning, as I listened to a song sung by Steve Green, the words brought deep conviction to my soul. They are the words of a song entitled, “I Repent.” Maybe these words are also very relevant to you . . . .
- “I regret the hours I have wasted and the pleasures I have tasted that You were never in.
- And I confess that though Your love is in me, it doesn’t always win me when competing with my sin.”
I “concur” with these words! I agree with them, I identify with them! And I desire to respond as the words of the song continue from here,
- “And I repent, making no excuses. I repent, no one else to blame”
- And I return to fall in love with Jesus, I bow down on my knees . . . and I repent.”
Oh yes Lord, I realize the “war” that wages “in my members,” and I realize that I all too often give in to “my sin.” And “I regret the hours I have wasted and the pleasures I have tasted that You were never in,” that You were “never” a part of. And Lord, “I confess” this to You and I desire in my heart Lord to “repent” and to “return” and to “fall in love” with You . . .
- “And I confess I need You to revive me, put selfishness behind me, and take up my cross again”
The apostle Paul realized it was not his reformed soul (mind) causing him to sin but his sinful flesh (“members”). And so I realize this also, just as the Scriptures teach . . . and when my “love” for Christ “doesn’t always win me” I desire to “repent,” and to “put selfishness behind me, and take up my cross again” (cf. Luke 9:23).
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk, know well that we do stumble, and sometimes it’s often. But rejoice and be reminded that it is our calling to repent and turn back to loving obedience to Christ by the power that works within us (Ephesians 3:20).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas