There is a struggle that each of us faces, daily . . . . .
- “For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, but I see a different law in the member of my body, waging war against the law of my mind, and making me a prisoner of the law of sin, which is in my members.” (Romans 7:22:-23 – NASB)
As a “new creation” in Christ (II Corinthians 5:17) I am one who “joyfully concur(s) with the law of God.” I believe it to be good and right and perfect in every way. I desire, in my new state, to do the “law of God,” not thinking I can earn my salvation by keeping “the law” but motivated by the desire to keep it because I love my Lord.
But I find I stumble a lot! I struggle at times with sin like a man plagued by a persistent physical problem, experiencing the very “war” the apostle Paul wrote of in our text, a “war . . . in my members,” that is, in my flesh. I sense the Spirit’s words and I often feel the powerful tug of “my members” to go against His leading . . . and the “war” becomes very real.
This morning, as I listened to a song sung by Steve Green, the words brought deep conviction to my soul. They are the words of a song entitled, “I Repent.” Maybe these words are also very relevant to you . . . .
- “I regret the hours I have wasted and the pleasures I have tasted that You were never in.
- And I confess that though Your love is in me, it doesn’t always win me when competing with my sin.”
I “concur” with these words! I agree with them, I identify with them! And I desire to respond as the words of the song continue from here,
- “And I repent, making no excuses. I repent, no one else to blame”
- And I return to fall in love with Jesus, I bow down on my knees . . . and I repent.”
Oh yes Lord, I realize the “war” that wages “in my members,” and I realize that I all too often give in to “my sin.” And “I regret the hours I have wasted and the pleasures I have tasted that You were never in,” that You were “never” a part of. And Lord, “I confess” this to You and I desire in my heart Lord to “repent” and to “return” and to “fall in love” with You . . .
- “And I confess I need You to revive me, put selfishness behind me, and take up my cross again”
The apostle Paul realized it was not his reformed soul (mind) causing him to sin but his sinful flesh (“members”). And so I realize this also, just as the Scriptures teach . . . and when my “love” for Christ “doesn’t always win me” I desire to “repent,” and to “put selfishness behind me, and take up my cross again” (cf. Luke 9:23).
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk, know well that we do stumble, and sometimes it’s often. But rejoice and be reminded that it is our calling to repent and turn back to loving obedience to Christ by the power that works within us (Ephesians 3:20).
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store