The Greek Word Metanoia
3340. metanoeo, met-an-o-eh’-o; from G3326 and G3539; to think differently or afterwards, i.e. reconsider (mor. feel compunction):—repent.
Metanoia [G3341] translated as Repent
- Mat 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance: [G3341]
- Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: [G3341] but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
- Mat 9:13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. [G3341]
- Mark 1:4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance [G3341] for the remission of sins.
- Mark 2:17 When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. [G3341]
- Luke 3:3 And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance [G3341] for the remission of sins;
- Luke 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, [G3341] and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
- Luke 5:32 I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. [G3341]
- Luke 15:7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance. [G3341]
- Luke 24:47 And that repentance [G3341] and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
- Acts 5:31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance [G3341] to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.
- Acts 11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance [G3341] unto life.
- Acts 13:24 When John had first preached before his coming the baptism of repentance [G3341] to all the people of Israel.
- Acts 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, [G3341] saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
- Acts 20:21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance [G3341] toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.
- Acts 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance. [G3341]
- Rom 2:4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance? [G3341]
- 2 Cor 7:9 Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: [G3341] for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.
- 2 Cor 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance [G3341] to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
- 2 Tim 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance [G3341] to the acknowledging of the truth;
- Heb 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance [G3341] from dead works, and of faith toward God,
- Heb 6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; [G3341] seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
- Heb 12:17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, [G3341] though he sought it carefully with tears.
- 2 Pet 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. [G3341]
Metanoeo [G3340] Translated as Repent
- Mat 3:2 And saying, Repent ye: [G3340] for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
- Mat 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: [G3340] for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
- Mat 11:20 Then began he to upbraid the cities wherein most of his mighty works were done, because they repented [G3340] not:
- Mat 11:21 Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works, which were done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented [G3340] long ago in sackcloth and ashes.
- Mat 12:41 The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented [G3340] at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.
- Mark 1:15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, [G3340] and believe the gospel.
- Mark 6:12 And they went out, and preached that men should repent. [G3340]
- Luke 10:13 Woe unto thee, Chorazin! woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works had been done in Tyre and Sidon, which have been done in you, they had [G3340] a great while ago repented, [G3340] sitting in sackcloth and ashes.
- Luke 11:32 The men of Nineve shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for they repented [G3340] at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.
- Luke 13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, [G3340] ye shall all likewise perish.
- Luke 13:5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, [G3340] ye shall all likewise perish.
- Luke 15:7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, [G3340] more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.
- Luke 15:10 Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth. [G3340]
- Luke 16:30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent. [G3340]
- Luke 17:3 Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, [G3340] forgive him.
- Luke 17:4 And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; [G3340] thou shalt forgive him.
- Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, [G3340] and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
- Acts 3:19 Repent ye [G3340] therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
- Acts 8:22 Repent [G3340] therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.
- Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: [G3340]
- Acts 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent [G3340] and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.
- 2 Cor 12:21 And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have [G3340] not repented [G3340] of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.
- Rev 2:5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, [G3340] and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent. [G3340]
- Rev 2:16 Repent; [G3340] or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.
- Rev 2:21 And I gave her space to repent [G3340] of her fornication; and she repented [G3340] not.
- Rev 2:22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent [G3340] of their deeds.
- Rev 3:3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. [G3340] If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.
- Rev 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. [G3340]
- Rev 9:20 And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented [G3340] not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk:
- Rev 9:21 Neither repented they [G3340] of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts.
- Rev 16:9 And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented [G3340] not to give him glory.
- Rev 16:11 And blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and repented [G3340] not of their deeds.
Metamelomai [G3338] Translated as Repent
- Mat 21:29 He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, [G3338] and went.
- Mat 21:32 For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seen it, repented [G3338] not afterward, that ye might believe him.
- Mat 27:3 Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, [G3338] and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,
- 2 Cor 7:8 For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do [G3338] not repent, [G3338] though I did repent: [G3338] for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season.
- Heb 7:21 (For those priests were made without an oath; but this with an oath by him that said unto him, The Lord sware and will [G3338] not repent, [G3338] Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec:)
Ametameletos [G278] Translated as Repent
- Rom 11:29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance. [G278]
- 2 Cor 7:10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: [G278] but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
Be Ready Always...
to give a reason for the Hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15). When you can’t share the gospel with your words, share it by leaving tracts that tell people about God's grace.
When leaving a tract, always be diligent to pray for the short gospel message. Pray that it be found by someone who is in need of Jesus’ saving grace, and pray that the person will have a tender heart and open ears to receive the gift Jesus desires to give them.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, even a small tract can help in turning a broken, sinful person from darkness to light.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas