If you missed our Got Questions? column this week, we addressed, “What Would St. Patrick Think About His Day?” We provided some history about St. Patrick, as well as his well-known prayer/poem (Read here: What Would St. Patrick Think About His Day?)
Now we offer a few more little-known details about the man for whom this day is named:
- Patrick wasn’t Irish. He was from an area in Scotland now known as Dumbarton (just northwest of Glasgow).
- Patrick couldn’t have driven the snakes out of Ireland because there were never any snakes in Ireland.
- Patrick wasn’t the first evangelist to Ireland. Palladius, who died sometime between 457 and 461 AD, was the first Bishop of Ireland. He preceded Patrick by at least five years.
- Patrick was in his mid-40s when he went to Ireland and began evangelizing the people. Palladius had not been very successful in his mission to do so.
- Patrick is not really a Saint with a capital “S.” He was never officially canonized by the Roman Catholic Church. However, he is a saint with a lower-case “s.” All are saints who have trusted in the life, death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus for salvation.
- Patrick was viewed by fifth-century Christians as fulfilling the great commission since the areas in Ireland were considered the “ends of the earth” to many at that time.
Today, we wish you a Happy St. Patrick’s Day and ask that you take a few minutes to remember this early church saint whose love for the Lord was reflected in his commitment to sharing the gospel with the people of Ireland.
On St. Patrick’s Day, everyone seems to be “a little bit Irish.” So we suggest that you let your “Irish” show and celebrate the day by doing what St. Patrick so willingly, and so effectively, did in Ireland. Wherever God has placed you, share the gospel of saving grace with the lost so they might come to know Jesus. And, speak the Words of God to those who belong to Jesus. Remind them of the “pot of gold” at the end of their “rainbow” that is the riches and the glory of Heaven that awaits those who are in Christ.
may the wind be ever at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face, and the rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of his hand.
Read/Watch More About St. Patrick and St. Patrick's Day
If you do NOT know Jesus, click here.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. Subscribe to our newsletter and we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email). SUBSCRIBE NOW
Please Share this Article on Social Media to Equip and Encourage Others
Be Ready Always...
to give a reason for the Hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15). When you can’t share the gospel with your words, share it by leaving tracts that tell people about God's grace.
When leaving a tract, always be diligent to pray about the short gospel message. Pray that it be found by someone who is in need of Jesus’ saving grace, and pray that the person will have a tender heart and open ears to receive the gift Jesus desires to give them.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, even a small tract can help in turning a broken sinner from darkness to light.
SHARE THE GOSPEL!
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR