Have you ever read the chapters in the Bible that contain all the names? Have you ever considered some of those names? For instance,
- “And the sons of Neariah were Eloenai, Hizkiah, and Azrikam, three.” (I Chronicles 3:23 – NASB)
“Eloenai’s” name is in a very long list of names given here in the first book of Chronicles. Dr. Henry Morris writes regarding the recording of this name and so many others,
- “In fact, it is significant that the Bible contains the proper names of more individuals than can be found in all the other books of antiquity put together — strong evidence of its historical authenticity.”
Real names of real people, and God had them recorded in His book for a very good reason. For He does not act aimlessly. Names that speak of real people who God intended that they not go unnoticed.
The Hebrews were a people that found a great deal of significance in a name. And that is highlighted for us in our text, using just the name of “Eloenai” as our example. “Neariah,” who was an ancient descendant of David, whose name meant, “servant of the LORD,” named one of his sons, “Eloenai.” In looking to the meaning of this name we can note just how important this matter of naming one’s child was. The meaning of this name bears witness of a father, a “servant of the LORD,” as he named his first-born son. “Eloenai” means, “turning your eyes to the mighty God.”
Maybe “Neariah” wanted to be reminded by his son’s name just what he needed to do as a father, every day . . . . to turn his eyes to God Almighty.
Little else is known about “Eloenai,” but it is noteworthy what the meaning of his name is and that God had it recorded in His holy book. It is for sure a most meaningful name. One can only wonder what became of him, whether he ever fully grasped the very importance of his name, the full meaning of it.
One thing can be taken from the meaning of “Eloenai”s” name for us today, a message from it that is urgent to you and I and for that matter, all of mankind . . . the need to “turn our eyes to the mighty God!” The very meaning of “Eloenai’s” name speaks to us in the day in which we live.
The Hebrew people found importance in naming their children and God honored that by having these names forever settled in His Word. We tend to overlook that when we get to these long lists of names.
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk make note that nothing is recorded by the Holy Spirit in God’s Word without a purpose.
Read more about the names of God in the Bible:
- In addition to Yahweh (YHVH), Yeshua, and Jesus, what other names for God are in the Bible?
- For His Great Name's Sake (videos)
- Should we call His name Jesus? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
- The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
- What a Beautiful Name: The Name of Jesus
- What is the New Name Spoken of in Revelation 2:17?
- His be the Victor's Name (song video)
- Forty Titles of Jesus to Know Him Better and Love Him More
- Is Ehyeh, Yahweh, Jehovah, or Jesus God’s Name?
Read about other names in the Bible:
- Is Satan’s Real Name Lucifer? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- Is there a hidden message in the names in Revelation 7? Why is Dan missing?
- Is There a Hidden Message in the names in Genesis 5?
Read about the Love of Jesus:
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas