Have you ever read the chapters in the Bible that contain all the names? Have you ever considered some of those names? For instance,
- “And the sons of Neariah were Eloenai, Hizkiah, and Azrikam, three.” (I Chronicles 3:23 – NASB)
“Eloenai’s” name is in a very long list of names given here in the first book of Chronicles. Dr. Henry Morris writes regarding the recording of this name and so many others,
- “In fact, it is significant that the Bible contains the proper names of more individuals than can be found in all the other books of antiquity put together — strong evidence of its historical authenticity.”
Real names of real people, and God had them recorded in His book for a very good reason. For He does not act aimlessly. Names that speak of real people who God intended that they not go unnoticed.
The Hebrews were a people that found a great deal of significance in a name. And that is highlighted for us in our text, using just the name of “Eloenai” as our example. “Neariah,” who was an ancient descendant of David, whose name meant, “servant of the LORD,” named one of his sons, “Eloenai.” In looking to the meaning of this name we can note just how important this matter of naming one’s child was. The meaning of this name bears witness of a father, a “servant of the LORD,” as he named his first-born son. “Eloenai” means, “turning your eyes to the mighty God.”
Maybe “Neariah” wanted to be reminded by his son’s name just what he needed to do as a father, every day . . . . to turn his eyes to God Almighty.
Little else is known about “Eloenai,” but it is noteworthy what the meaning of his name is and that God had it recorded in His holy book. It is for sure a most meaningful name. One can only wonder what became of him, whether he ever fully grasped the very importance of his name, the full meaning of it.
One thing can be taken from the meaning of “Eloenai”s” name for us today, a message from it that is urgent to you and I and for that matter, all of mankind . . . the need to “turn our eyes to the mighty God!” The very meaning of “Eloenai’s” name speaks to us in the day in which we live.
The Hebrew people found importance in naming their children and God honored that by having these names forever settled in His Word. We tend to overlook that when we get to these long lists of names.
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk make note that nothing is recorded by the Holy Spirit in God’s Word without a purpose.
Read more about names of God in the Bible:
- In addition to Yahweh (YHVH), Yeshua and Jesus, what other names for God are in the Bible?
- For His Great Name's Sake (videos)
- Should we call His name Jesus? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
- The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
- Is There a Hidden Message in the names in Genesis 5?
- What a Beautiful Name: The Name of Jesus
Read about other names in the Bible:
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR