It’s that time of year again when all the autumn colors abound. No two autumn colors are more prevalent during this month of October than orange and black— the colors of Halloween.
As the stores promote Halloween decor and parties, and as people engage in making plans to celebrate this increasingly popular holiday, the question arises, “Should Christians be involved in the activities of Halloween?
In recent decades there has been a growing darkness in this holiday. There was a time when Halloween was simply meant to be “child’s fun,” but over the last couple decades, Halloween has become a much bigger, and darker, time of partying and celebrating evil.
Some Christians try to balance their involvement in Halloween activities by making choices to keep it “innocent.” Others choose to avoid it all-together. What is the right answer? Can Halloween celebrations be “innocent?” Or should Christians just not participate in this day’s activities? These are questions that every Christian must consider.
The Darkness of the Occult
Halloween is steeped in the occult and it is the number one day and night for the ritualistic practices of Satanists and witches. In the dark spiritual world, it is not unusual for animal sacrifices to take place on Halloween. And in some cases (covertly concealed from public sight) even human sacrifices take place on Halloween night.
It’s interesting to note that even false religions know the shedding of innocent blood is required for any type of atoning sacrifice. Satan is such a copy-cat of God’s plan and His works. Blood sacrifices that are not of God (the Old Testament sacrificial system and the blood sacrifice of Jesus) are evil in the sight of the Lord. Such sacrifices atone for nothing, and are an abomination to the One whose blood, once and for all, paid for man’s sins.
Occultists not only copy with perversion God’s atonement, they also deny His sovereignty by claiming to have a power over the spiritual realm. They believe that their sacrifices energize the spirits and influence the spirits to carry out their will. That sounds very strange to us, and many might think such things do not take place in our day, but it’s well documented that they do.
The Darkness of Halloween
At this time of year, Halloween movies celebrate terror and violence. They are filled with occult practices and gory murder scenes. Such visual images influence and desensitize the mind, especially the minds of impressionable children. Such movies also deny the sanctity of human life and marginalize the evil of murder. The same is true of the many dark and evil-themed costumes that are worn for Halloween. They all seem to celebrate, or at least make light of, the reality of the darkness and the evil they represent.
In addition to the darkness of Halloween movies and costumes, there is also a pagan commercial frenzy that occurs. Halloween promotes people spending money on decorations, costumes, and parties (food and alcohol). Halloween has risen to the second most commercialized holiday of the year. It is second only to Christmas with its commercial appeal.
Now, please don’t misunderstand me. There is nothing wrong with spending money on some secular activities (as long as they don’t involve sin, which could be argued about Halloween). However, it certainly does commercialize the holiday and elevates its importance. We should be asking, why doesn’t Easter get the same kind of attention? And, I would suggest, that Easter should get more attention than both Christmas and Halloween combined.
Darkness from Its Beginning
From its origin, Halloween is based on pagan practices and rituals. It originated with a Celtic festival that honored the Celtic Lord of Death, Samhain (SAH-win). The celebration would usher in the seasonal “death” of the world, as observed by trees losing leaves, flowers dying, temperatures dropping and darkness increasing. The signs of “death” in nature became associated with human death. Therefore the Celts, in their Samhain Festival, attempted to pacify the supernatural powers that they believed controlled the processes of nature.
Again this is a perversion of God’s truths. The occult seeks to appease the dark and unknown supernatural powers by their works (their sacrifices). Jesus died to satisfy God’s righteous wrath against sin because man works were incapable of paying the debt of sin. In God’s plan of redemption, nothing was hidden from man’s understanding. God revealed His plan in the light of His truths. In occult practices, all is hidden in the darkness of night and in secret gatherings as a way to conceal the lies of the enemy.
Halloween is here to stay. If you choose to participate in Halloween, be very cautious not to engage in anything that does not glorify God. It’s hard to take away from children the fun of “dress up” costumes and the excitement of going from neighbor to neighbor and being greeted with smiles and candy treats. But do understand that this day is not that simple, and in recent years it has grown more and more dark. If you engage in Halloween, remember that in all things, our Father’s name is to be hallowed (honored, revered, respected, made holy).
In the darkness of the day, and the even greater darkness of the night, let your light shine. A few years ago we asked our community about how, or if, they would celebrate Halloween. For alternative celebration ideas, read Your thoughts about “should Christians celebrate Halloween?”
What Saith the Lord?
The Lord told His people Israel to keep themselves separate from any and all darkness and evil practices of the pagan nations
Deu 18:9-13 “When you come into the land which the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominations of those nations. There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination to the LORD, and because of these abominations the LORD your God drives them out from before you. You shall be blameless before the LORD your God. For these nations which you will dispossess listened to soothsayers and diviners; but as for you, the LORD your God has not appointed such for you.
And to us, the Lord caused Paul to write:
1 Th 5:21-22 Test all things; hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil.
Halloween Related Articles:
- ***A Trick-or-Treat Test: What Significance is Oct 31, Nov 1, and Nov 2?
- Should Christians Celebrate Halloween?
- A Great Christian Song for Halloween
- What is sweeter than Halloween candy?
- Does Satan Have a Stronger Influence on Halloween?
- Your thoughts about “should Christians celebrate Halloween?”
- Halloween Baggage?
- What Should Christians Think and Do About Halloween?
- What Though The Vile Accuser Roar (song video)
- Have Halloween Jack-o-lanterns Become Demonic?
- Word Search Puzzle – Halloween
Reformation Day (October 31st):
- What are the Three Reformation Hymns of Martin Luther?
- A Mighty Fortress is Our God – A Contemporary Rendition
- A Mighty Fortress is Our God – A Traditional Rendition
- What are Martin Luther’s Five Solas of the Reformation?
- What are the Five Solas of the Reformation?
- Halloween? No, Reformation Day!
- Reformation Quiz: Discerning Truth and Error
- What Is All Soul’s Day? (November 2nd)
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
At Reasons for Hope* Jesus, we are committed to equipping, encouraging, and empowering Christians to know Jesus better, love Him more, and share their faith. We also reach the lost through our Salvation Page.
With your support, we can continue to provide valuable resources and engaging content. Please join us in our mission by donating today. Your generous contribution helps us expand our outreach of sharing biblical truths and hope in Jesus. Thank you for your kindness and for being an integral part of our mission.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED