Today is more than Halloween! It’s also Reformation Day!
Sweeter than any Halloween candy is the “treat” that has been passed down through the ages. On October 31, 1517, the 16th century German theologian and former Roman Catholic monk, Martin Luther nailed a list of 95 arguments on the door of All Saints’ Church in Wittenberg, Germany. That was a way to start a conversation in those days. It not only started a conversation, it started a reformation!
As the revolutionary “father” of the Protestant Reformation, Martin Luther’s 95 Point Theses boldly declared that salvation is by grace alone through faith in Christ. His arguments contradicted that which the church was teaching, but were widely accepted and spread through Europe like wildfire, largely due to the recent invention of the printing press. Luther claimed that the Roman Catholic Church had deviated from the teachings of the Bible regarding justification in salvation.
Luther began a movement that would change the face of Christianity forever, when He proclaimed the word of God from Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
On this Reformation Day, don’t get caught up in the festivities of Halloween and don’t forget about the significance of that day in 1571. Remember the clarity that Luther brought to Christendom and how it taught us to remember that Jesus has freed us from our works to make ourselves righteous. He paid for our sins and He gives us His righteousness.
2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
Martin Luther called this The Great Exchange. An earlier church father, Athanasius of Alexandria, called this The Glorious Exchange. Jesus took our sins upon himself and in exchange gave us His righteousness. What a Great and Glorious Exchange!
On this anniversary of Reformation Day, almost five centuries after Martin Luther nailed the 95 Point Thesis to the church door, remember what Christ has done for you by His life, death, burial and resurrection. Remember the Great and Glorious Exchange. And, remember there are lost people everywhere who don’t know our Jesus. They need to hear about His mercy and grace. They need to understand their sin and how our great and glorious Saviour will forgive their sins. They need to understand the Great and Glorious Exchange and be told how they can receive the Lord’s great gift of salvation.
On this Halloween/Reformation Day, give the sweetest treat of all— the gospel. For those who are not Christians, they need to hear it! For those who are Christians, they need to hear it!
In the words of Martin Luther,
“…Paul tells us in I Corinthians 1:23, 24: ‘We preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumbling block, and unto the Greeks foolishness; but unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.’ Begin with Christ. He came down to earth, lived among men, suffered, was crucified, and then He died, standing clearly before us, so that our hearts and eyes may fasten upon Him… The Gospel supplies the world with the salvation of Jesus Christ, peace of conscience, and every blessing.” (1)
No tricks in those words—and, oh, what a treat it is to know the sweet, sweet love of Jesus.
If you didn’t read our Halloween article, you can do so here: Does Satan have a stronger influence on Halloween?
<*}}}><(1) Martin Luther. Commentary on the Epistle to the Galatians (Kindle Edition, chapter 1)
Halloween Related Articles:
- ***A Trick-or-Treat Test: What Significance is Oct 31, Nov 1, and Nov 2?
- Should Christians Celebrate Halloween?
- A Great Christian Song for Halloween
- What is sweeter than Halloween candy?
- Does Satan Have a Stronger Influence on Halloween?
- Your thoughts about “should Christians celebrate Halloween?”
- Halloween Baggage?
- What Should Christians Think and Do About Halloween?
- What Though The Vile Accuser Roar (song video)
- Have Halloween Jack-o-lanterns Become Demonic?
- Word Search Puzzle – Halloween
Reformation Day (October 31st):
- What are the Three Reformation Hymns of Martin Luther?
- A Mighty Fortress is Our God – A Contemporary Rendition
- A Mighty Fortress is Our God – A Traditional Rendition
- What are Martin Luther’s Five Solas of the Reformation?
- What are the Five Solas of the Reformation?
- Halloween? No, Reformation Day!
- Reformation Quiz: Discerning Truth and Error
- What Is All Soul’s Day? (November 2nd)
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas