Halloween carries a lot of baggage. It is a very popular day (and now a season) that has become a very lucrative, commercially successful part of our culture. What is unfortunate is that Christians have allowed themselves to be caught up in a lot of Halloween’s festivities and observances that focus on the occult and things that God hates (cf. Exodus 22:18; Deuteronomy 18:9-13; Galatians 5:20; Revelation 21:8; et.al.).
In the midst of embracing Halloween activities, we have lost sight of a most important event in the history of the Protestant church.
Check Your Baggage at the Door and Refocus
Set aside Halloween and refocus your thoughts. The last day of October is the anniversary of a most important event. On October 31st, 1517, a Catholic monk named Martin Luther nailed ninety-five challenges to Roman Catholic doctrine on the door of the Catholic church in Wittenberg, Germany. He had hoped to start a dialogue on the subject of indulgences. Instead, his actions started The Great Reformation.
The Great Reformation
Martin Luther came to an understanding that true salvation is by grace alone:
Eph 2:8-9 For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
From this breakthrough in his understanding of the doctrine of justification came also an understanding of how the justified shall live:
Ro 1:17 The just shall live by faith
One writer has said, “The most critical question facing anyone is ‘How can I be made right with God?’ The answer to that question is the central issue that keeps the various expressions of Christianity apart.”
From Martin Luther, and others to follow, came the protestant creed that is foundational to the church:
• “Justification is by grace alone, received through faith alone, mediated to believing sinners through Christ alone, and recorded as final authority in the Scriptures alone.”
Persecuted for His Faith
Martin Luther was excommunicated for his position and branded a heretic. He was brought before tribunals and commanded to recant of his teachings and writings, but he stood firm in the truths of Scripture. Though ordered to be put to death by the Roman church and the Emperor, Charles V, he was kidnapped and protected by Duke Frederick of Saxony who gave him asylum. Luther poured his energies into translating the New Testament into German so the common man could understand God’s Word. He completed this task in only 11 weeks and went on to write commentaries that explained biblical justification and stood in opposition to the Roman church’s doctrines. Luther’s writings spread across Europe like a flood and what had begun, The Great Reformation, could not be stopped!
How is it that this great date in protestant church history, this time and its great men, have been so forgotten by the church and, in turn, captured by the devil? Don’t let it be so.
500 Years and Counting
2017 marked the five hundredth anniversary of the day when Martin Luther took a stand for biblical truth. His courage proclaimed the sufficiency of Jesus’ grace in salvation and brought reformation to Christian doctrine. With a biblical doctrine of salvation by grace alone through faith, Luther gave rest to weary souls.
Take time this month to focus on the foundational truths of Reformation theology. Sign up for our emails and receive information and inspiration about how this one man changed the future of the world on October 31, 1517.
The Great Reformation
- What are the Five Solas of the Reformation?
- A Great Christian Song for Halloween (article and videos)
- The Most Important Five Points for All Christians
- Reformers You Might Not Know
- Martin Luther on Trial (500th Anniversary of the Reformation)
- Martin Luther's Reformation Hymns (article and videos)
- Reformation Quiz: Discerning Truth and Error
- His Be The Victor's Name/The Great Accuser Roars (song video)
- What are Martin Luther’s Five Solas of the Reformation? (video)
- What are the Three Reformation Hymns by Martin Luther?
Halloween Related Articles:
- Should Christians Celebrate Halloween?
- A Great Christian Song for Halloween
- What is sweeter than Halloween candy?
- Does Satan Have a Stronger Influence on Halloween?
- Your thoughts about “should Christians celebrate Halloween?”
- Halloween Baggage?
- What Should Christians Think and Do About Halloween?
- A Trick-or-Treat Test: Three Days
- What Though The Vile Accuser Roar (song video)
- Are Halloween Jack-o-lanterns Demonic?
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
Top Ten in 2019
- What is the meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- What is the meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
Our Top Three Videos
Help us spread the good news and saving grace of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Please tell your friends about ReasonsforHopeJesus.com. If you have a website or blog, please link to ReasonsforHopeJesus.com. All resources on this site © Reasons for Hope* Jesus -- click for Republication Permissions or contact hope@reasonsforhopeJesus.com