There are many differing opinions on this question. While Halloween celebrations have been around for centuries, in the last few decades Halloween has taken on a new dimension. Although the celebration is much bigger, that doesn’t mean it is better.
In years gone by, for most people, Halloween was a time of childhood masquerading and fun. Yes, some of the costumes were gory and gruesome, but they were almost always with a sense of pretending and meant for innocent fun. Today, many costumes are very realistic and the dark side is intended to be celebrated.
In the 1970s, celebrating Halloween was primarily a one-day event. Over the last four decades, it has progressed to a “season.” In the 1980s, manufacturers of decorative accessories began producing a wide variety of Halloween decor items. They also began aggressively promoting decorating the home and the yard for Halloween–and to start in early September. The Halloween “season” caught on (with adults more than children) and now Halloween is the second “largest” holiday after Christmas, as measured by retail sales.
What Should You Think?
There has always been a dark side to Halloween. It has always been a day occult activity. However, most people never see any of it. The question about Christians celebrating Halloween isn’t about participating in pagan rituals. It’s really about whether or not they should celebrate a day that is based on the darkness of this world. Can it be celebrated in a way that is God-honoring? What should Christians think about Halloween? How should Christians celebrate? Or should they refuse to participate in any way?
This is really a personal decision. But whatever your decision might be, Halloween should be no different than any other day. We are to honor God every day of the year and Halloween is not an exception. Whatever your choice is, make Halloween a day to honor God.
What Should Every Christian Do?
With all the focus on death at Halloween, it’s a perfect opportunity to think about life — especially life after death. There are people perishing every day — perishing without Jesus. And we know that the Lord is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance (2 Peter 3:9). We also know that the Lord desires to use us to preach His gospel of saving grace and turn people from darkness to Light.
While every day of the year is an opportunity to shine light into a dark world and share the gospel with people, Halloween is an especially good time to open spiritual conversations. Look for opportunities to talk about Jesus. With the darkness of Halloween, our lights can shine ever brighter. And, with the celebrations of death, our proclamation of life in Christ gives hope. Be bold and proclaim the saving grace of Jesus so that His love, light, and life is magnified.
Don’t let the season pass without sharing your hope in Jesus. Be diligent and purposeful in starting conversations with people. And when you hand out candy to “trick or treaters,” give them the greatest “treat” of all — the gospel of life eternal in the Lord Jesus Christ.
Halloween Related Articles:
- Should Christians Celebrate Halloween?
- A Great Christian Song for Halloween
- What is sweeter than Halloween candy?
- Does Satan Have a Stronger Influence on Halloween?
- Your thoughts about “should Christians celebrate Halloween?”
- Halloween Baggage?
- What Should Christians Think and Do About Halloween?
- A Trick-or-Treat Test: Three Days
- What Though The Vile Accuser Roar (song video)
- Are Halloween Jack-o-lanterns Demonic?
- Word Search Puzzle – Halloween
Reformation Day (October 31st):
- What are the Three Reformation Hymns of Martin Luther?
- A Mighty Fortress is Our God – A Contemporary Rendition
- A Mighty Fortress is Our God – A Traditional Rendition
- What are Martin Luther’s Five Solas of the Reformation?
- What are the Five Solas of the Reformation?
- Halloween? No, Reformation Day!
- Reformation Quiz: Discerning Truth and Error
- What Is All Soul’s Day? (November 2nd)
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas