The apostle John was not one to cower when it came to defending the truth. In his first letter he wrote,
“If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth” (I John 1:6 – NKJV)
It is not an easy thing to call someone a liar, to say to them, “You lie.” But when it comes to essential matters, matters concerning the very soul of man, the Bible makes it quite clear that there is no room for a “lie.” Whether or not a soul is headed for heaven or headed for hell is no light thing, nothing to be ignored if someone makes an effort to distort the very message that deals with one’s eternal destination. John was dealing with those who were in amongst true believers and trying to deceive them to accept a “lie” (cf. 2:26). When it came to defending “the truth,” the apostle John, the son of thunder, was never one to allow the “lie” to go unchallenged.
How about you? If you know that someone is speaking a “lie,” or by their behavior denying “the truth”. . . do you speak up? Would you speak up?
I remember the day two Jehovah Witnesses came to my apartment door. I sparred with them verbally, challenging their “lie” with “the truth.” They eventually left my door and proceeded to go to a neighbor’s door. I followed them! These merchants of false teaching were not going to be unchallenged if I had anything to say about it. I informed my neighbor just who these people were that wanted them to listen to their message. I informed my neighbor that they were wolves in sheep’s clothing, people who carried a “lie” from door to door, a “lie” that had to do with essential spiritual matters. Then I looked at these purveyor’s of this false gospel and told them to leave our building. They fired back at me but I assured them that no matter what door they went to I would be there to call them out. Result: they went stomping out of the building, yelling at me as they went, threatening to call the authorities.
The apostle John was my tutor in standing up against these people who “walk in darkness” but say they don’t. The Jehovah Witnesses continue to this day to spread their false gospel, their false message that at its very core is a “lie.” When we are able, we should always confront their “lie” with “the truth.”
We should be defenders of that which God has committed to us, His “truth” (cf. II Timothy 1:13-14). We find our example in the Scriptures, in the apostle John.
John made no apology for calling out those who made a claim of having “fellowship” with Christ, when it was evident by their behavior (the word “walk” literally means, “how one orders their behavior”) they were lying. Our reaction should be no different.
Without trivializing it, the quip “Liar, liar, your soul is on fire” is a fact for anyone who would corrupt and pervert “the truth” of God.
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
Is my TATTOO a sin?
The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Is it a sin to be FAT?
To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
Can JEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAM Say on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge