The apostle John writes his first letter with intent, delivering to us, the saved, biblical certainties. He tells us pointedly,
“Now by this we know that we know Him . . . By this we know that we are in Him” (I John 2:3, 5 – NKJV)
We are a people who like assurance. We like it when we “know” something and “know” that it is true an we like to have our beliefs confirmed. The Holy Spirit does just that as He ministers assurance to us through John’s writings.
John is writing his letter with great intent. Within the many things that he addresses is the contrast between the saved and the lost. He is very dogmatic in his letter and wants his readers to “know” the difference between a liar who is lost and a believer who is saved . . . it’s that simple, the lost and the saved and that which identifies them . . .
“He who says, ‘I know Him,’ and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him . . . by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments” (I John 3:4, 3 – NKJV)
From our beginning texts, John writes,
“Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments” (I John 2:3 – NKJV)
Believers are known by the fact that they attempt to “keep” the Lord’s “commandments.
Further, John writes,
“But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him” (I John 2:5 – NKJV)
“We know Him . . . we are in Him,” and this “Him” is Jesus the Christ.
In a letter of dogmatics, in a letter of certainties, in a letter of absolutes, John assures the professing believer in Christ that he can “know” his state, “know” how he is recognizable, “know” what defines him, “know” that what he professes to believe will come to fruition,
“These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life” (I John 5:13 – NKJV)
“Written to you who believe . . . that you may know . . .”
Receive articles like this in your inbox.
E-Books Now Available at Amazon:
Visit Our Store for Print Books and more Apologetics Resouces
The Top Ten from 2017
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
Is my TATTOO a sin?
The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Is it a sin to be FAT?
To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
Can JEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAM Say on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge