The psalmist writes,
- “To Thee I lift up my eyes, O Thou who art enthroned in the heavens” (Psalm 123:1 – NASB)
Current conditions in America cause the people of God great concern, and rightfully so. This is the nation in which God has made our lot and I would think we all have a special interest in her state, especially in her standing before God. No doubt that current circumstances can produce a bit of anxiety as to just how things are going to eventually turn out for her. There are many reasons to believe that blessings are past and more and more troubles are ahead.
In the midst of all of this the believer’s direction of attention is upward . . . as we “lift up” our “eyes” to Him who is “enthroned in the heavens.”
- “Behold, as the eyes of servants look to the hand of their master, as the eyes of the maid to the hand of her mistress; So our eyes look to the LORD our God, until He shall be gracious to us.” (Psalm 123:2 – NASB)
In the midst of a spiral downward by the nation in which we live, we who are in Christ, as the “servants look to their master, as the eyes of the maid to the hand of her mistress . . . our eyes look to the LORD our God.” For God is “gracious” to all who have their “eyes” on Him.
Note an illustration of this principle as found in II Chronicles, chapter 20. King Jehoshaphat had big problems. Three nations had banded together to bring Israel down. The King cried out in desperation,
- “For we are powerless before this great multitude who are coming against us; nor do we know what to do” (II Chronicles 20:12 – NASB)
What was the King’s answer to such a frightening situation?
- “. . . but our eyes are on Thee” (II Chronicles 20:12 – NASB)
King Jehoshaphat knew from where his help and his nation’s help would come in a “powerless” situation, a situation ” in which they did not “know what to do.” It would come from the One to whom their “eyes (were) on . . . Him “who (is) enthroned in the heavens.” And God responded by bringing victory out of what looked like sure defeat.
The believer knows that in times of great difficulties, when things look to be oh so very bleak, he can respond by turning the direction of his eyes toward “the heavens,”
- “I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; from whence shall my help come? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth” (Psalm 121:1-2 – NASB)
Oh America . . . that you also would “lift up (your) eyes” and acknowledge that, if you are to survive, your “help” must “come from the Lord.” Which “Lord?” The One “who art enthroned in the heavens,” the One “who made heaven and earth!”
Have a good day . . . and as you walk employ the old saying, “Keep looking up.”
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas