by Shari Abbott with Alex McFarland for Reasons for Hope* Jesus
We live in a time when the body of Christ is growing weak.
Now don’t hear me wrong. There are plenty of Christians who are strong in the faith and on-fire for the Lord. But there is also a growing number of churches that are becoming like the first century church at Ephesus. They have good works, but they have forgotten their first love.
Revelation 2:2-4 “I know your works, your labor…you have persevered and have patience, and have labored for My name’s sake…Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love.”
What are we to do? That question brings to mind a favorite Bible verse that asks this all-important question:
Psalm 11:3 If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?
The lament in this verse is the fear that the foundations might be destroyed. We are seeing that happen in our day. Our foundation for building a strong and vibrant faith is the Word of God, but sadly the secular world ignores it completely and far too many Christians neglect God’s Word and are forgetting His truths.
So what are the righteous to do? Jesus’ letter to the church at Ephesus gives the answer:
Revelation 2:5 “Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works…”
Remembering Jesus must be the primary focus in a Christian’s life. It’s the primary focus of the ministry message of Reasons for Hope* Jesus. It’s all about Jesus. And keeping our eyes focused on Him will establish our hearts, anchor our souls and renew our minds. Remembering who Jesus is, what He has done for us and who we are in Him will warm our hearts with passion to love Him more and to serve Him better. Focusing our eyes and thoughts on Jesus will strengthen our foundation. That’s what the righteous are to do. Remember, repent and return daily to our first love. The world tries to “chip away” at our foundation. We must keep it solid by beginning with regular reading and studying of God’s Word. His Word will direct our lives in the way in which we should go.
Every one of us must build a strong foundation and maintain it all the days of our life. Then, united together in Christ, the Church will grow stronger and as Christ’s body we will be better prepared to go forth and share the gospel of saving grace with others (Romans 1:15).
7 Things the Church Must Remember
The apostle Peter wrote to remind Christians of the strong foundation on which to stand. In his first letter, he wrote that we are to secure our minds (1 Peter 1:13) and to have a ready mind (1 Peter 5:2). Only by renewing our minds in the Word of God are we able to fulfill Peter’s command to, “…sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asks you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear” (1 Pet 3:15).
Our foundations must be a firm foundation so we can stand up and stand strong. There is no other option for Christians. My colleague Alex McFarland shares with you 7 key components to rightly remembering that will strengthen faith and build your foundation.
of Our Message
John 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
of Our Message
Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.
of Our World
James 4:4 ….Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God?
of the Times
Romans 13:11 And do this, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep…
of the Opposition
Romans 8:31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
of Our Role
Jude 1:3 …contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints.
of Our Master
Colossians 1:16-17 …All things were created through Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist.
…in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. (Romans 8:37)
Call to mind these seven things on a daily basis, spend time reading the Bible, and in prayer with God. It’s also important to be in fellowship with other Christians. When you practice those three things, Bible reading, time with God and fellowship with Christians, you will be prepared to give many reasons for the hope that is in you. Be strong in the Lord (Ephesians 6:10) and stand firmly on your sure and steadfast hope (Hebrews 6:19).
Alex McFarland is an American public speaker, author, educator, and advocate for Christian Apologetics. He currently serves as Director of the Christian Worldview Center at North Greenville University in Greenville, South Carolina and as organizer of the Truth for a New Generation Conferences. He also co-hosts the radio program “Exploring the Word” that airs on American Family Radio. For more information about Alex’s speaking and ministry, visit www.alexmcfarland.com
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED