Paul wrote of a future time when God will turn back to Israel to call unto Himself a believing remnant of Israel.
Rom 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles be come in.
Rom 11:26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
It is taught and understood that “the fullness of the Gentiles be come in” signifies the end of the Church Age. You may have heard it said that one day the last gentile will get saved and God will send Jesus back for His Bride in an event we call The Rapture. (Read What is the Rapture?). Some even teach this as if God has a counter and is ticking off every salvation as it happens, and when it hits a magical number– a number that only God knows –when the last person is saved, then Jesus will come for His bride and the end times (the Seventieth Week of Daniel) will begin.
Although this has been taught for a very long time, there’s a real problem with “the fullness of the gentiles” being a complete number of salvations. I would suggest that it means something very different, and for many reasons, beginning with:
- Both Jews and Gentiles are the body of believers we call the Church. And yet, Paul tells that in the Church there is neither Jew nor Gentile (Gal 3:28). Our identity is in Christ, not our national heritage.
- Had Paul been speaking about the Church why wouldn’t he have written that “blindness in part is happened to Israel until the fullness of the [Church; Greek: ekklesia] be come in.”
- He didn’t. Paul wrote “blindness in part is happened to Israel until the fullness of the [Greek: ethnos] be come in.”
- Ethnos means “Gentile, heathen, nation, or people.” So we should really think of Gentiles as meaning heathens or nations, a term the Bible uses to refer to those who are unregenerate—the lost.
- Furthermore, the Church, the Body of Christ, the Bride of Christ, is never called the Gentiles (plural). Our identity is one body in Christ. So this cannot mean a fullness of the Church (singular), with a final individual member to complete it. The Church is one spiritual body, not individual Jews and Gentiles, with Jesus as the Head of the Body.
- Gentiles might be considered a body of people, unregenerate people, from all nations. But they are individuals, not united. And if they are like any kind of “body” (spiritually) it would be a body without a head.
- Finally, if the completeness of the Church were to be the fullness of the Gentiles (converts), why wouldn’t it be the fullness of the Jews and Gentiles (converts from both people groups). Again, According to Paul, there are neither in the Church.
With this understanding, “fullness of the Gentiles” takes on a different meaning. Therefore, we ask, what would be the fullness of the “ethnos” (unsaved people, heathens, nations)?
Not a Number
I suggest that the fullness of the nations is not a number but rather the fullness of iniquity. Iniquity is an act of moral uncleanness. (Read: Sin, Iniquity, and Transgression? How are they different?)
Rom 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fullness [of the iniquity] of the Gentiles be come in.
There’s a verse in Genesis that closely parallels the Romans 11 verse.
Gen 15:16 But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full.
The fullness of the iniquity of the Amorites is a reference to God’s judgment of the iniquity of an unbelieving group of people. This verse tells that God withheld judgment of the Amorites until their iniquity was full (complete), When the iniquity of the Amorites was full, then God sent Israel forth to take the land and enter into the promise He made to them.
Since the cross, during the Church age, the iniquity of the unregenerate has increased. The time will come when God will judge the iniquity of the Gentiles (the nations, the unregenerate) as being full, i.e. complete.
2 Th 2:7 For the mystery of iniquity does already work: only He who now letteth [restrains] will [restrains], until He be taken out of the way.
This tells us that when believers are raptured the Holy Spirit will te “taken out of the way.” Why? Because the Holy Spirit indwells all who belong to Christ, and when He is gone the Antichrist will not be restrained and he will rise in power.
In the Context of Romans 11
Rom 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that you should be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fullness of the Gentiles be come in.
Once the Church is removed, the seventieth week of Daniel, also called The Tribulation, will begin (Read: What is the Seventieth Week of Daniel?). It will be a time of God pouring out His wrath in judgment of sin on the entire world. However, this judgment is rooted in mercy. God will extend mercy to all who come to Christ in faith and trust, and He will preserver them to the end.
So Will “All Israel Be Saved?”
Rom 11:26 And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written: “The Deliverer will come out of Zion, And He will turn away ungodliness from Jacob;
“All Israel will be saved”? Will they all be saved? Read: Will “All Israel Be Saved?”
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas