- “I remembered Your judgments of old, O LORD, and have comforted myself” (Psalm 119:52 – NKJV)
A text I have put to memory long ago . . . from Paul’s letter to the saints in Colosse,
- “As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving.” (Colossians 2:6-7 – NKJV)
Have you “received Christ Jesus the Lord?” Have you “received” Him as Lord and Savior? Have you believed on Him who is able to save you from the wrath to come, the One who has, through His cross, reconciled you to God? Have you done this? Then,
- “walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him”
Yes, “walk,” order your behavior, your life, “in” the sphere of the knowledge of the “Lord Jesus Christ.” Seek to live as He lived, desiring to do His will, desiring to be more and more conformed to His image.
Be “rooted and built up in Him.” Your life “in Him” should show a stability, should be “built” up upon the “Lord,” upon Him and His Word. As Paul says in his letter to the saints at Ephesus, you should . . .
- “. . . no longer . . . be children, tossed here and there by waves, and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming” (Ephesians 4:14 – NASB)
To be equipped to avoid these things and to be enabled to “walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him,” you need to be,
- “established in the faith”
The inference in our text seems to be that you already should be “established” in the historical doctrines and teachings of the Christian faith, just “as you have been taught.” Teaching, discipleship, should be at the heart of the church today, so that saints can be “established in the faith.” This Scriptural calling is a call to discipleship, and discipleship is necessary so that a Christian can “walk,” can be “rooted and built up in” Christ, and be equipped to stand firm against the world and “the schemes of the devil” (Ephesians 6:10). This “faith,” that Christians are to be “established in,” is “once for all delivered to the saints” (Jude 3) by means of the teaching of God’s Word, the Holy Scriptures. If the church should become weak in this calling its people will be “tossed here and there,” will be “carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming.”
The calling to those who have “received Christ Jesus the Lord” is clear, this is what the disciple of Christ is to do. It is for us to read this text and then ask ourselves, “Am I walking in Him? Am I rooted and built up in Him? Am I established in the faith?” If you are, then continue on . . . but if not . . . then set your sights on these things . . . and get discipled!
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk let it be in Him, rooted and built up in Him, established in the faith you have embraced.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas