- “I remembered Your judgments of old, O LORD, and have comforted myself” (Psalm 119:52 – NKJV)
A text I have put to memory long ago . . . from Paul’s letter to the saints in Colosse,
- “As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving.” (Colossians 2:6-7 – NKJV)
Have you “received Christ Jesus the Lord?” Have you “received” Him as Lord and Savior? Have you believed on Him who is able to save you from the wrath to come, the One who has, through His cross, reconciled you to God? Have you done this? Then,
- “walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him”
Yes, “walk,” order your behavior, your life, “in” the sphere of the knowledge of the “Lord Jesus Christ.” Seek to live as He lived, desiring to do His will, desiring to be more and more conformed to His image.
Be “rooted and built up in Him.” Your life “in Him” should show a stability, should be “built” up upon the “Lord,” upon Him and His Word. As Paul says in his letter to the saints at Ephesus, you should . . .
- “. . . no longer . . . be children, tossed here and there by waves, and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming” (Ephesians 4:14 – NASB)
To be equipped to avoid these things and to be enabled to “walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him,” you need to be,
- “established in the faith”
The inference in our text seems to be that you already should be “established” in the historical doctrines and teachings of the Christian faith, just “as you have been taught.” Teaching, discipleship, should be at the heart of the church today, so that saints can be “established in the faith.” This Scriptural calling is a call to discipleship, and discipleship is necessary so that a Christian can “walk,” can be “rooted and built up in” Christ, and be equipped to stand firm against the world and “the schemes of the devil” (Ephesians 6:10). This “faith,” that Christians are to be “established in,” is “once for all delivered to the saints” (Jude 3) by means of the teaching of God’s Word, the Holy Scriptures. If the church should become weak in this calling its people will be “tossed here and there,” will be “carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming.”
The calling to those who have “received Christ Jesus the Lord” is clear, this is what the disciple of Christ is to do. It is for us to read this text and then ask ourselves, “Am I walking in Him? Am I rooted and built up in Him? Am I established in the faith?” If you are, then continue on . . . but if not . . . then set your sights on these things . . . and get discipled!
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk let it be in Him, rooted and built up in Him, established in the faith you have embraced.
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR