Take a look with me at a text from II Peter,
- “Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord; seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.” (II Peter 1:2-3 – NASB)
Do you think that we are often guilty of making unnecessary requests? I am of the mind that we do. I think we make requests for those things that, if we would just take to heart God’s Word, we already have. Here in our text God says that He “has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness.” And we know this “through the true knowledge of Him who has called us,” this “true knowledge” coming “through” His revelation to us. I believe we often fail to appropriate the truths of God’s Word to our lives, and such, we who are “in Christ,” are often making requests for things that are already ours.
Seems we repeatedly ask for peace . . . but yet the Scriptures say,
- “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives, do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.” (John 14:27 – NASB)
If we are “in Christ” we have “peace. He gives it to us . . . we already have it.
Seems we repeatedly ask for joy . . . but yet the Scriptures say,
- “These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.” (John 15:11 – NASB)
If we are “in Christ” we have “joy,” His “joy” is “in” us . . . we already have it.
Seems we repeatedly ask for strength . . . but yet the Scriptures say,
- “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:13 – NASB)
If we are “in Christ” we just need to believe, understand, know, that He “strengthens” us.
Jesus said to us,
- “I came that they might have life, and might have it abundantly” (John 10:10 – NASB)
Living in “the true knowledge of Him,” we know that we have “peace,” and that we have “joy,” and that we have “strength,” and that all these are ours “in Christ” who, through the Holy Spirit, indwells us. Knowing these things translates into abundant living. This is what the Scriptures say to us, that “His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life.”
Maybe our prayer needs to be, “Lord, forgive me, for at times I tend to forget what You have granted to me. May I fully realize the truths of Your Word and subsequently, fully understand what I already have in You.”
Brethren, have a good day . . . and as you walk know the Word, and know what you have, and know you have it because you are “in Christ.”
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store