Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
From John’s first epistle we read,
- “My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue, but in deed and in truth” (I John 3:18 – KJV)
“Love,” a word used over and over again, so very common, yet the word love is never fully understood unless one knows God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ. Unless one knows the Father and the Son they can never truly know the right definition of love.
In seeking to understand love this following text would seem to be a great beginning,
- “Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us, and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins” (I John 4:10 – KJV)
John writes, “Herein is love.” And we respond, Where? And the Holy Spirit tells us that it is here, that God loved us, and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. You and I have a very serious spiritual health problem. We are a people dead in our trespasses and sins (Ephesians 2:1), separated to the greatest degree from our Creator by them. We are a needy people, a people without any hope. In the light of this truth . . . love is best understood when it is revealed to us that . . . herein is love, that God loved us, that He sacrificially loved us, seeing our hopeless plight and knowing our greatest need, He “sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.”
“Herein is love” defined. The world tosses this word around so flippantly, so carelessly, so ignorantly. We, God’s “little children,” are not to be found guilty of doing the same thing.
And thus, knowing and understanding love, our response should be to give love back to our Father, doing so with a full understanding of what love really means, personally manifesting this love. How?
- “Whoso keepeth His word, in him verily is the love of God perfected” (I John 2:5 – KJV)
- “For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments” (I John 4:18 – KJV)
- “And this is love, that we walk after His commandments” (II John 6 – KJV)
Herein is love . . . that God loved us, and (He) sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins, and herein we, in turn, love Him back by “keeping His word,” and by “walking after His commandments.”
Love can only find its true definition in God and in His sacrificial actions. And knowing that puts us in a position of understanding love.
Have a good day . . . and as you walk, do so in love for Him who has sent His Son to save you from the penalty due your sin, manifesting your love for Him by keeping His word, keeping His commandments.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas