From First Timothy we read,
- “But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness” (I Timothy 6:11 – KJV)
The Bible is not slack in its instruction to us as to how we should walk, what should characterize the “man of God.” As the apostle Paul instructs young Timothy in this matter he also instructs us. And one of the things that we are to “follow after,” one of the things that should be a virtue we pursue is “meekness.”
The Greek word used here in I Timothy eleven is praotes. By definition it means, “gentleness.” Several newer translations of the Bible used the word “gentleness.” In ancient Greek sources the word was used to refer to a medicine that calmed and soothed the spirit. So “O man of God,” the command from our Lord is to “follow after . . . meekness.” It should be a virtue that marks the walk of a disciple of Christ.
The world perceives “meekness” as cowardice, timidity, or lack of strength. But it is interesting to note what our Lord said about Himself,
- “Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me, for I am meek . . .” (Matthew 11:29 – KJV)
The word “meekness” refers to something mild and gentle; it means “to be gentle hearted.” A meek person is the opposite of someone who is vindictive or who harbors bitterness and resentment toward others. It is a quiet, willing, submission to God. A meek person has a mild, gentle, non-confrontational, non-retaliating spirit.
The virtue of “meekness” is a “fruit of the Spirit” (Galatians 5:23), it is as one writer as put it, “power under control.”
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk may your desire be that you are as He who has called you . . . meek, gentle in spirit.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas