From First Timothy we read,
- “But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness” (I Timothy 6:11 – KJV)
The Bible is not slack in its instruction to us as to how we should walk, what should characterize the “man of God.” As the apostle Paul instructs young Timothy in this matter he also instructs us. And one of the things that we are to “follow after,” one of the things that should be a virtue we pursue is “meekness.”
The Greek word used here in I Timothy eleven is praotes. By definition it means, “gentleness.” Several newer translations of the Bible used the word “gentleness.” In ancient Greek sources the word was used to refer to a medicine that calmed and soothed the spirit. So “O man of God,” the command from our Lord is to “follow after . . . meekness.” It should be a virtue that marks the walk of a disciple of Christ.
The world perceives “meekness” as cowardice, timidity, or lack of strength. But it is interesting to note what our Lord said about Himself,
- “Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me, for I am meek . . .” (Matthew 11:29 – KJV)
The word “meekness” refers to something mild and gentle; it means “to be gentle hearted.” A meek person is the opposite of someone who is vindictive or who harbors bitterness and resentment toward others. It is a quiet, willing, submission to God. A meek person has a mild, gentle, non-confrontational, non-retaliating spirit.
The virtue of “meekness” is a “fruit of the Spirit” (Galatians 5:23), it is as one writer as put it, “power under control.”
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk may your desire be that you are as He who has called you . . . meek, gentle in spirit.
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR