I am always reminded of God’s awesome power in the midst of the storm. I have this stark realization of how small I am and how great and powerful He is. I recall how He,
- “rebuked the wind and the surging waves, and they stopped, and it became calm” (Luke 8:24 – NASB)
. . . and I am in awe! Are you not in awe also? The creation, nature, showing us how unsettled it can become, how the rain can pour down, how mighty the wind can blow! No so-called “mother nature” is involved in all of this, no, the storms remind us of the unsettled condition of the earth and the heavens, and they remind us also that the Creator rules, is sovereign over His creation . . . in the storm we are reminded that the One who is our Lord, our Savior, that,
- “. . . even the winds and the water . . . obey Him” (Luke 8:25 – NASB)
Last night the winds, reaching speeds of 60 to 70 mph, whipped the tree limbs like they were mere twigs! The fury of the storm causes us to awake and look and see just how bad things really are. It may be that as we stare from our windows at the severity of the weather that we are reminded of this event that took place as Jesus tread this earth.
He had told “His disciples” to get “into a boat” and said, “Let us go over to the other side of the lake” (Luke 8:22). And so they did.
- “But as they were sailing along . . . a fierce gale of wind descended upon the lake, and they began to be swamped and to be in danger.” (Luke 8:
Obeying the voice of the Lord the disciples “launched out” to cross the “lake.” Their boat was overtaken by a “fierce gale of wind,” one that caused the “lake’s” waters to rise up and cause their boat “to be swamped,” and they sensed their lives were “in danger.” They cried out . . . .
- “Master, Master, we are perishing!”
I have been in great storms at sea! While in the Navy we sailed down the eastern coast and while going in the vicinity of Cape Hatteras we came upon a hurricane-like storm. Our ship was rolling, actually taking water on the bridge! Being a supply ship we were forced to turn out and go to the storage holds and do all we could to secure the cargo we were hauling to San Juan. It was difficult to move about the ship, bouncing off walls and each other, we seemed to be so small in the midst of it all, so vulnerable to the storm. When we finally were able to get to our bunks we had to strap ourselves in to be able to stay in them. It was a mighty storm! It tossed that ship around as if it were a small toy and I thought at the time, we possibly could be “perishing.”
I was not a Christian then. I was one without the “Master.” In my anxiety, my fear, I had no one to cry out to. I could only hope we survived the storm.
What I think about now, as one belonging to the Lord Jesus Christ, that He, Jesus, could have “aroused” from His sleep, “rebuked the wind and the surging waves” and they would have “stopped” and it would have become “calm.” That brethren, as I recall to mind that time at sea and that great storm, is an awesome thing to think upon!
- “Who then is this, that He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey Him?” (Luke 8:25 – NASB)
He is the Creator (John 1:1-3), the Almighty God, the real “Master” of the universe! He is the Lord Jesus Christ! Read Colossians 1:13-18, and you will be reminded once more of Who it is has saved you and Who it is that holds you in His hand and Who it is that has rescued you from the great, great storm yet to come.
Have a good day brethren . . . and may the storm cause you to pause and recall to mind He who can rebuke the winds and the seas and bring calm . . . . and can deliver us from the storm.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas