We are I pray of one mind as the new day begins, and that is that we are of the intent to offer up praise and adoration to our God. You and I, who profess Christ as Lord and Savior, do we not start with just that? Do we not start the day with acknowledgement that the very strength we have to raise up comes from our God, and thus . . . . . . . we praise Him and adore Him!
Much is said in the vast media world that we live in regarding sorcery. Television shows, movies, comic books (boy have they changed!), magazines, and the list goes on of mediums by which sorcery is portrayed to each one of us.
The Bible speaks of sorcery also. In fact, it mentions it quite frequently in the Old Testament and on a less frequent basis in the New. Translations do differ in how they convey the word to us, but sorcery, none the less, is a biblical matter that believers are to be very aware of. In his letter to the Galatians the apostle Paul says, in regards to “the deeds of the flesh,”
- “Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are . . . sorcery” (Galatians 5:18-19 – NASB)
Interestingly, the King James uses the word “witchcraft” in our text instead of “sorcery.” And “witchcraft” is a word that we are probably more apt to respond to and take notice of, being a word we cam easily associate with the evil “deeds of the flesh.”
The Greek word translated “sorcery, witchcraft,” in the New Testament is the word pharmakeia. Zodhiates, in his word study dictionary, writes that “pharmakeia means the occult, sorcery, witchcraft, illicit pharmaceuticals, trance, magical incantation with drugs.” And so, we not only know it is associated with “the deeds of the flesh” but that it is also associated with occult activities, and such practices are not something a believer in Christ is to be involved in.
- NOTE: I find it interesting that in our society today the use of mind-altering drugs is on an upswing. It would seem to this writer that as our culture gives in to the oh so persuasive drug phenomena, it would, in the process, become so very vulnerable to being led astray. Christian be warned!
This word pharmakeia is used two other times in the New Testament and as we reference these other uses we become acutely aware that “sorcery” is not something to take lightly. Note,
- “And the rest of mankind, who were not killed by these plagues, did not repent of the works of their hands, so as not to worship demons, and the idols of gold and of silver and of brass and of stone and of wood . . . and they did not repent of their . . . sorceries” (Revelation 9:20-21 – NASB)
- “And a strong angel took up a stone like a great millstone and threw It into the sea, saying, ‘Thus will Babylon, the great city, be thrown down with violence, and will not be found any longer’ . . . and the light of a lamp will not shine in you any longer; and the voice of the bridegroom and the bride will not be heard in you any longer; for your merchants wee the great men of the earth, because all the nations were deceived by your sorcery.” (Revelation 18:21, 23 – NASB)
The world throws the practice of “sorcery” at us from every angle imaginable, especially toward our young people, depicting its practice in popular books and movies, and more often than not putting a positive spin on it. If they do portray it as evil they tend to do it in a manner that seemingly glamorizes it. (NOTE: Maleficent . . . once, in days gone by, an evil witch who met her doom by the sword of truth. Today, in a very recent movie, a powerful witch, who in the end, is portrayed to us in a good light, given heroine status.)
Do you know what your children are watching, what they are taking in? Do you know what they are reading? It behooves us to pay attention! And it behooves us to let them know what “sorcery” is really all about.
There is an aura of wonderment around the occult and its practices, around the practice of “sorcery,” but it is a Hansel and Gretel related luring of the mind into a house filled with darkness and evil and demon activity. Beware!
Have a good day . . . and watch what it is that you take into your head, beware of the evil of sorcery, witchcraft, the occult and be reminded what John wrote, “all the nations were deceived by” it.
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAM Say on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge