Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
Note our passage from the gospel of Matthew,
- “You are the salt of the earth . . . You are the light of world . . . Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.” (Matthew 5:13-14, 16 – NASB)
Ungodly? Is the world ungodly? Is America ungodly? Last night I listened as Carl Kirby of Reasons For Hope noted that the fastest growing religion in America today is not Islam, as is so frequently reported, but rather, atheism. According to Kirby, the numbers show that atheism is growing at a much faster rate than any other religious belief.
Should that be a surprise to us? I would think that after years of raising and educating children into adulthood in a system based on evolutionary thinking and teaching it would be no surprise to us at all.
As atheism grows in popularity so the term “secular” becomes more prominent, tending to describe the state of our country and for that matter, the world. The very premise of evolutionary teaching is to create a society, a world, that does not believe there is a God. That in turn spawns a secular state, one based on secular thinking and one that promotes atheism.
What do we mean by “secular?” Well the word means, “of, or pertaining to worldly things or to things not regarded as sacred; temporal; not relating to or concerned with religion (opposed to sacred); concerned with nonreligious subjects.”
Atheism says, “There is no God!” It cries out, “Don’t bother me with your religion, your belief in a Creator, a Higher Authority, for there is none! There is but man, and he must be the supreme being of the world and the one on whom everything depends.” Atheism spawns secularism . . . . one serves the other, and is found to be a most favorable state in the mind of fallen man. This belief, this doctrine, this living environment gives man the platform by which to exalt self and to live in such a way as to satisfy one’s ego, one’s desires.
Disciples of Christ stand in the midst of this secular state, confronting its atheistic mind-set as “salt” and “light” for God, and they proclaim, “There is a God!” They proclaim that “All that has come into being is by His hand! And He is the Creator, sovereign over His creation, and He is working out His will in a fallen world.” They proclaim that, “Mankind is dead in his sins and trespasses, separated from the Creator by self and sin and that only by turning from self and sin and receiving Jesus the Christ, God’s only Son, as Lord and Savior can he be reconciled to God and saved from the just judgment of God that is due man’s sin.”
Brethren, this is our high calling as those who serve the risen Christ! To be “salt” and to be “light” in a nation, in a world that is spiraling downward at a very rapid pace.
- “Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see . . .”
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk be the salt and the light Christ has called you to be and empowered you to be.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas