From the psalms we read,
- “My soul, wait silently for God alone, for my expectation is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation; He is my defense; I shall not be moved. In God is my salvation and my glory; the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.” (Psalm 62:5-7 – NKJV)
Yesterday, as I sat in my car, I listened to that old hymn, Rock Of Ages. My emotions were running high as I took the words in and I could not help but think upon all that “God” my Father has done for me through His Son the Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus, “my Rock,” my “Salvation.” The old hymn moved me to words of adoration and praise and thanksgiving. If you “wait silently,” if you listen carefully, the old hymn of Augustus Toplady can prove to be a great blessing to your soul.
- “Rock of Ages, cleft for me, let me hide myself in Thee;
- Let the water and the blood, from Thy wounded side which flowed,
- Be of sin the double cure, save from wrath and make me pure.”
Jesus, our “Rock of Ages,” the One we can “hide” ourselves in, knowing that from His “wounded side . . . flowed” life giving “blood” that served as a “double cure,” saving us “from wrath” and making us “pure.”
- “Could my tears forever flow, could my zeal no languor know,
- These for sin could not atone; Thou must save, and Thou alone.
- In my hand no price I bring, simply to Thy cross I cling.”
Ah yes . . . “tears.” Brethren, as I listened I was moved to “tears.” I was struck that someone as unworthy as me, Christ, the great I AM, died for, shedding His “blood” to “atone” for my “sin.” The stark realization hit me that I, in and of myself, could do nothing to reconcile myself to God, and I lingered on the words, “Thou must save, and Thou alone.”
And then the words, “In my hand no price I bring, simply to Thy cross I cling.” Those words have been in my heart and mind for years, and every time they come to mind, every time I hear them, my heart is impacted with the truth of God’s Word, that . . .
- “. . . through Him (Christ) (God has reconciled) all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His (Jesus’) cross . . . And although you were formerly alienated and hostile in mind, engaged in evil deeds, yet He has now reconciled you in His (Jesus’) fleshly body through death” (Colossians 1:20-22 – NASB)
Hear my prayer oh Lord . . . “nothing in my hand I bring, simply to Thy cross I cling.”
- “While I draw this fleeting breath, when my eyes shall close in death,
- When I rise to worlds unknown, and behold Thee on Thy throne,
- Rock of Ages, cleft for me, let me hide myself in Thee.”
I have a rendition of this great old hymn done by B.J. Thomas . . . I love the way he sings it. I listen to it often.
Have a good day brethren . . . and I would pray this old hymn would be a blessing to you, and serve as a reminder to you, that there is nothing of worth that we can bring to God for our salvation . . . simply to the cross we cling, hiding ourselves in the Rock.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas