From the psalms we read,
- “My soul, wait silently for God alone, for my expectation is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation; He is my defense; I shall not be moved. In God is my salvation and my glory; the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.” (Psalm 62:5-7 – NKJV)
Yesterday, as I sat in my car, I listened to that old hymn, Rock Of Ages. My emotions were running high as I took the words in and I could not help but think upon all that “God” my Father has done for me through His Son the Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus, “my Rock,” my “Salvation.” The old hymn moved me to words of adoration and praise and thanksgiving. If you “wait silently,” if you listen carefully, the old hymn of Augustus Toplady can prove to be a great blessing to your soul.
- “Rock of Ages, cleft for me, let me hide myself in Thee;
- Let the water and the blood, from Thy wounded side which flowed,
- Be of sin the double cure, save from wrath and make me pure.”
Jesus, our “Rock of Ages,” the One we can “hide” ourselves in, knowing that from His “wounded side . . . flowed” life giving “blood” that served as a “double cure,” saving us “from wrath” and making us “pure.”
- “Could my tears forever flow, could my zeal no languor know,
- These for sin could not atone; Thou must save, and Thou alone.
- In my hand no price I bring, simply to Thy cross I cling.”
Ah yes . . . “tears.” Brethren, as I listened I was moved to “tears.” I was struck that someone as unworthy as me, Christ, the great I AM, died for, shedding His “blood” to “atone” for my “sin.” The stark realization hit me that I, in and of myself, could do nothing to reconcile myself to God, and I lingered on the words, “Thou must save, and Thou alone.”
And then the words, “In my hand no price I bring, simply to Thy cross I cling.” Those words have been in my heart and mind for years, and every time they come to mind, every time I hear them, my heart is impacted with the truth of God’s Word, that . . .
- “. . . through Him (Christ) (God has reconciled) all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His (Jesus’) cross . . . And although you were formerly alienated and hostile in mind, engaged in evil deeds, yet He has now reconciled you in His (Jesus’) fleshly body through death” (Colossians 1:20-22 – NASB)
Hear my prayer oh Lord . . . “nothing in my hand I bring, simply to Thy cross I cling.”
- “While I draw this fleeting breath, when my eyes shall close in death,
- When I rise to worlds unknown, and behold Thee on Thy throne,
- Rock of Ages, cleft for me, let me hide myself in Thee.”
I have a rendition of this great old hymn done by B.J. Thomas . . . I love the way he sings it. I listen to it often.
Have a good day brethren . . . and I would pray this old hymn would be a blessing to you, and serve as a reminder to you, that there is nothing of worth that we can bring to God for our salvation . . . simply to the cross we cling, hiding ourselves in the Rock.
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAM Say on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge