From the book of Daniel we read,
- “Suddenly the fingers of a man’s hand emerged and began writing opposite the lampstand on the plaster of the wall of the king’s palace, and the king saw the back of the hand that did the writing. Then the king’s face grew pale and his thoughts alarmed him; and his hip joints went slack, and his knees began knocking together”(Daniel 5:5-6 – NASB)
There is a great fascination in our day with the supernatural: Horror movies, supposed alien sightings, people looking into the heavens with the intent of spotting something or someone that is extra-terrestrial. There are TV programs that gain a great deal of viewing because they report on bazaar events and happenings, things that seem to have no human explanation. The popularity of Marvel and DC comic characters of incredulous strength who wander the earth and travel into the universe performing mighty feats has reached fever pitch. Movies and magazines and stores with articles that promote these Super Heroes abound! Yes, fascination with the supernatural seems to have no end, seems to grow and grow.
Our text records for us an actual supernatural event, one that actually took place. It was of the nature that it caused the “knees” of the king (“co-regent”) of mighty Babylon to “knock together.” His “face grew pale and his thoughts” were that of astonishment and fear. He was horrified! He was so frightened that his “hip joints went slack,” and he was not able to stand firmly on his own two feet. Belshazzar had been partying, feeling pretty safe and secure within the walls of his great city. The Medes and Persians were outside those walls, threatening to take the city, but Belshazzar was of the mind that would not happen . . . then came the “writing . . . . on the plaster of the wall” of his “palace,”
- “Now this is the inscription that was written out: ‘MENE, MENE, TEKEL, UPHARSIN’” (Daniel 5:25 – NASB)
God wrote on the palace “wall” His words of judgment upon king Belshazzar and his kingdom, a supernatural event that is no tale concocted by man but an actual historical one that is recorded in the Word of God.
Want to know what the writing meant? Want to know what happened to Belshazzar and the great city of Babylon? Want to know why it happened? Open up God’s Word and go to Daniel chapter 5 and read of a real supernatural event. If you have children or grandchildren, gather them around and read with them the record that teaches us “that the Most High is ruler over the realm of mankind” (Daniel 4:32).
Have a good day brethren . . . and if you want to read edifying stuff, get into what is real and true . . . get into the Word of God!
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas