From the book of Daniel we read,
- “Suddenly the fingers of a man’s hand emerged and began writing opposite the lampstand on the plaster of the wall of the king’s palace, and the king saw the back of the hand that did the writing. Then the king’s face grew pale and his thoughts alarmed him; and his hip joints went slack, and his knees began knocking together”(Daniel 5:5-6 – NASB)
There is a great fascination in our day with the supernatural: Horror movies, supposed alien sightings, people looking into the heavens with the intent of spotting something or someone that is extra-terrestrial. There are TV programs that gain a great deal of viewing because they report on bazaar events and happenings, things that seem to have no human explanation. The popularity of Marvel and DC comic characters of incredulous strength who wander the earth and travel into the universe performing mighty feats has reached fever pitch. Movies and magazines and stores with articles that promote these Super Heroes abound! Yes, fascination with the supernatural seems to have no end, seems to grow and grow.
Our text records for us an actual supernatural event, one that actually took place. It was of the nature that it caused the “knees” of the king (“co-regent”) of mighty Babylon to “knock together.” His “face grew pale and his thoughts” were that of astonishment and fear. He was horrified! He was so frightened that his “hip joints went slack,” and he was not able to stand firmly on his own two feet. Belshazzar had been partying, feeling pretty safe and secure within the walls of his great city. The Medes and Persians were outside those walls, threatening to take the city, but Belshazzar was of the mind that would not happen . . . then came the “writing . . . . on the plaster of the wall” of his “palace,”
- “Now this is the inscription that was written out: ‘MENE, MENE, TEKEL, UPHARSIN’” (Daniel 5:25 – NASB)
God wrote on the palace “wall” His words of judgment upon king Belshazzar and his kingdom, a supernatural event that is no tale concocted by man but an actual historical one that is recorded in the Word of God.
Want to know what the writing meant? Want to know what happened to Belshazzar and the great city of Babylon? Want to know why it happened? Open up God’s Word and go to Daniel chapter 5 and read of a real supernatural event. If you have children or grandchildren, gather them around and read with them the record that teaches us “that the Most High is ruler over the realm of mankind” (Daniel 4:32).
Have a good day brethren . . . and if you want to read edifying stuff, get into what is real and true . . . get into the Word of God!
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR