Super Bowl Sunday scores big in many ways. First, there’s the big game. It’s the number 1 watched American television broadcast of the year and the number 1 watched sporting event in the world.
Super Bowl Sunday also holds a second-place score in another “event.” The day of Super Bowl is second only to Thanksgiving Day for food consumption. Over the last couple decades, Super Bowl parties have become a type of “national holiday” and the celebration with food and drink takes backstage only to the game itself. It’s interesting how, as the screens on which we view the games are getting larger and larger, so also are the celebrations get bigger and bigger.
Another Statistic of Great Significance
We’ve identified that Super Bowl is the number 1 watched sporting event of the year and that Super Bowl Sunday is the number 2 food consumption day! Those statistics seem harmless. However, there’s another statistic that reveals harm and should cause alarm to all people—sports fans and non-sports fans, football party-goers and stay-at-home game watchers.
Another Second Place for Super Bowl Sunday
Super Bowl Sunday is second only to New Year’s Day for drunk driving fatalities. I remember well when a friend of ours was hospitalized in December 2011 awaiting a heart transplant. The doctors expressed anticipation that a donor heart might become available on New Year’s Day or Super Bowl Sunday. That’s a sad but true commentary on the statistically-proven, high number of deaths on those two days.
Alcohol Through the Ages
The Bible has a great deal to say about alcohol. It is one of the greatest temptations to sin and it has been around since before the Great Flood:
Mat 24:38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark,
These are Jesus’ words, but we note that He only mentioned “drinking” and not drunkenness. However, in looking at the Genesis record about the time of which Jesus spoke, it is evident that this is about drunkenness:
Gen 6:5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
Is Drinking Alcohol a Sin?
The Bible does not declare the consumption of alcohol to be a sin (read, Is It a Sin to Drink Alcohol?), but it does tell that it is unwise to drink because it can lead to excess and drunkenness is a sin. As Christians we know that drinking can harm our testimony by impairing our thoughts, words, and deeds, and, even worse, drunkenness can cause loss of control of our minds, mouths and actions.
Stays Super Safe and Sober on Super Bowl Sunday
So how does one stay safe and enjoy the game and festivities of Super Bowl Sunday? The safest way is to make the wise choice and not drink anything. However, that will not always be the choice of everyone.
It is a personal decision (and it should be a very thoughtful and prayerful decision) whether to drink alcohol or whether to abstain. Consider the risk of increased alcohol-related deaths, well as alcohol-related sins. Consider also the wisdom of not indulging in alcohol.
Reasons Not to Drink
- Alcohol is a drug that can control the mind.
- Alcohol can be addictive.
- Alcohol can kill brain cells.
- Alcohol can skew judgment.
- Alcohol can evoke unhealthy emotions (anger, depression, anxiety).
- Alcohol can remove the “filter” over one’s thoughts.
- Alcohol can “loosen lips.”
- Alcohol can reduce one’s ability to avoid sin.
- Alcohol can steal – financial resources, God-given gifts and talents, one’s witness for Christ, etc.
- Alcohol can fuel crime.
- Alcohol can change behavior
- Alcohol can destroy families.
- Alcohol can cause one to stumble and fall (physical harm).
- Alcohol can cause one to stumble and fall (spiritual sin).
- Alcohol doesn’t have power to produce joy. Instead it can to rob one of joy.
- Alcohol doesn’t bring us closer to God. Instead, it can drive us from Him.
- Alcohol doesn’t encourage productive work. Instead, it can cause lethargy and apathy.
- Alcohol doesn’t promote wise thinking. Instead, it can produce some really stupid conversations.
- Alcohol doesn’t strengthen self-control. Instead, it can fuel a “footloose and fancy-free, anything-goes” mentality.
Stop and Think Before You Drink
There are many more reasons not to drink on Super Bowl Sunday, but statistics remind us of a very important reason…
On every day of the year, and especially on Super Bowl Sunday, Alcohol kills.
Stay Super Safe and Sober on Super Bowl Sunday, Sanctifying your Soul, Serving you Saviour and Stopping Sin with Spirit-fueled Self-control.
Try saying that to yourself before you take a drink on Super Bowl Sunday. Then consider how well you will be able to say it after one, two, or more drinks. It might just cause you to STOP and THINK before you drink, then STOP and make a wise and God-honoring choice.
Stay Super Safe and Sober on Super Bowl Sunday
1 Cor 10:31 Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
Prepare yourself to celebrate responsibly, read: Is it a Sin to Drink Alcohol?
Watch & Play: The Super Bowl Bible Quiz Game
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement to us. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas