From the Psalms the psalmist gives us good instruction to petition the Lord for today,
- “Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; Keep watch over the door of my lips. Do not incline my heart to any evil thing, to practice deeds of wickedness.” (Psalm 141: 3-4 – NASB)
As you and I make our way through the day, and for that matter, every day, may it be our petition to our Lord to “set a guard . . . over (our) mouth.” Much comes out from our “mouth” in the course of day, a week, a month, a year. I know I find myself saying things all too often that the Holy Spirit brings His word to bear on, and I end up saying, “Forgive me Lord, I shouldn’t have said that. It goes against the counsel You have given me in Your word.”
So we say, “Keep watch over the door of (our) lips.” For I would think that each one of us has a heart-driven desire to please our Lord, do we not? Do we not want to have our words be in line with His? “Keep watch” Lord, “Set a guard,” for I am capable of sinning against you and against others by that which flows from “my mouth,” from “the door of my lips.”
And Lord, “Do not incline my heart to any evil thing.” We would pray that You would, through Your Word, move our hearts to do what is good in Your sight and not that which is “evil.”
There is a great deal of “evil” in the world and it would be our prayer Lord that as we set our face to be conformed to Your image by taking in the counsel of Your word, that You would not allow our “heart” be “inclined . . . to any evil thing, to practice deeds of wickedness.” We who are Yours are called to a different walk then those who do not know You, to those who walk “according to the course of this world.” It should be our desire not to do “evil,” not to “practice deeds of wickedness.” We who are Yours are “salt” and we are “light” to a world that deals in “evil” and “wicked” things, to a world that walks in darkness.
O Lord, to You we make petition regarding what we say and what we practice . . .
- “Set guard, O LORD, over my mouth; Keep watch over the door of my lips. Do not incline my heart to any evil thing, to practice deeds of wickedness.”
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk may this petition be yours as you seek to speak only that which honors the Lord and practice that which is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and of good report (Philippians 4:8-9).
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store