From the Psalms the psalmist gives us good instruction to petition the Lord for today,
- “Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; Keep watch over the door of my lips. Do not incline my heart to any evil thing, to practice deeds of wickedness.” (Psalm 141: 3-4 – NASB)
As you and I make our way through the day, and for that matter, every day, may it be our petition to our Lord to “set a guard . . . over (our) mouth.” Much comes out from our “mouth” in the course of day, a week, a month, a year. I know I find myself saying things all too often that the Holy Spirit brings His word to bear on, and I end up saying, “Forgive me Lord, I shouldn’t have said that. It goes against the counsel You have given me in Your word.”
So we say, “Keep watch over the door of (our) lips.” For I would think that each one of us has a heart-driven desire to please our Lord, do we not? Do we not want to have our words be in line with His? “Keep watch” Lord, “Set a guard,” for I am capable of sinning against you and against others by that which flows from “my mouth,” from “the door of my lips.”
And Lord, “Do not incline my heart to any evil thing.” We would pray that You would, through Your Word, move our hearts to do what is good in Your sight and not that which is “evil.”
There is a great deal of “evil” in the world and it would be our prayer Lord that as we set our face to be conformed to Your image by taking in the counsel of Your word, that You would not allow our “heart” be “inclined . . . to any evil thing, to practice deeds of wickedness.” We who are Yours are called to a different walk then those who do not know You, to those who walk “according to the course of this world.” It should be our desire not to do “evil,” not to “practice deeds of wickedness.” We who are Yours are “salt” and we are “light” to a world that deals in “evil” and “wicked” things, to a world that walks in darkness.
O Lord, to You we make petition regarding what we say and what we practice . . .
- “Set guard, O LORD, over my mouth; Keep watch over the door of my lips. Do not incline my heart to any evil thing, to practice deeds of wickedness.”
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk may this petition be yours as you seek to speak only that which honors the Lord and practice that which is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and of good report (Philippians 4:8-9).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas