From Paul’s letter to the church at Corinth we read,
- “When I was a child, I used to speak as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things.” (I Corinthians 13:11 – NASB)
The believers at Corinth obviously needed this counsel from the apostle Paul. Quite simply, they had been and they were acting like children. To them Paul essentially said, “O grow up!”
In today’s culture children are given a lot more credit for wisdom then they deserve. Brethren, children are not wise. They are for all intensive purposes, extremely selfish, self-serving. From early on they are on a course of seeking out what they believe to be best for them. And if this selfish attitude is not checked somewhere along the line they will carry it over into adulthood.
Quite often we see children throwing their temper tantrums, screaming to have their way (if you’ve ever noticed, this is quite a common event in your local Wal-Mart), kicking and yelling at the top of their lungs, making it well known that they are not happy with the fact that things are not going as they want them to go.
Oddly enough, Christians have been known to act in such a manner also. The apostle James wrote,
- “What is the source of quarrels and conflicts among you? Is not the source your pleasures that wage war in your members?” (James 4:1 – NASB)
Our own selfish, childish ways, acting like children who seek out their own “pleasures” leads to “quarrels and conflicts.” We have to be counseled to put away childish characteristics such as . . .
- “. . . . bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander . . . along with all malice” (Ephesians 4:31 – NASB)
Bringing this subject matter into the spiritual realm, we need to grow up spiritually also, to mature, to develop discernment. The Holy Spirit instructs us,
- “Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men, but as wise . . . So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.” (Ephesians 5:15, 17 – NASB)
The “will of the Lord” for every believer is spiritual maturity
- “Brethren, do not be children in your thinking . . . but in your thinking be mature.” (I Corinthians 14:20 – NASB)
Children of the flesh need to be instructed in how to behave, how to think. In the same way Christians need to be instructed in how to behave, how to think, the goal being . . . .
- “until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ. As a result, we are no longer to be children . . . but speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him, who is the head, even Christ” (Ephesians 4:13-15 – NASB)
In short . . . the Holy Spirit shouts to us from the Scripture, “O grow up!” Grow up Christian “to a mature man . . . no longer (like) children” but “in all aspects (like) Him . . . even Christ.”
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you go about your walk strive to put off immaturity and in turn, put on maturity, in order that you may be more and more like Christ.
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR