From the Proverbs we read,
- “As the door turns on its hinges, so does the sluggard on his bed” (Proverbs 26:14 – NASB)
So, what is a “sluggard?” The English word means, “a person who is habitually inactive or lazy.” That said, we could literally say of this verse from Proverbs, “As the door turns on its hinges, so does the person who is habitually inactive or lazy on his bed.”
The author of the Proverbs has much to say that is not very sympathetic toward “the sluggard,” the one “who is habitually inactive or lazy.”
I find it interesting to note that there is a very close relationship between leisure and laziness. In fact, as I was thinking on this matter of laziness the word leisure came to my mind. In this country we live in there is a great deal of effort put into living a life of leisure. The thing that I think we must be constantly aware of, if we are Christians, is that leisure can very easily lead to laziness. By its very definition, the word leisure can be found to be closely linked to our definition of a “sluggard.” Leisure is defined, “freedom from the demands of work and duty.” As one looks at the word as an adjective the dictionary reads, “not required to work for a living.” It only stands to reason that If one is “not required to work for a living,” the chances of becoming a “sluggard” are enhanced tremendously.
I think I am within proper biblical interpretation guidelines when I note that Ezekiel writes regarding Sodom,
- “Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had . . . careless ease” (Ezekiel 16:49 – NASB – It is most interesting here to note the sins of “Sodom,” that they were not just of a sexual nature.)
This term, “carless ease” literally means, “an abundance of idleness.” It would seem they also had in their daily environment a great deal of leisure. And it would, I believe, be safe to say that in their “careless ease,” in their leisure, they probably were guilty of being slothful. What do you think? One thing for sure, the Bible tells us regarding “the sluggard” that,
- “The desire of the sluggard puts him to death, for his hands refuse to work” (Proverbs 21:25 – NASB)
O brethren, we must take care not to be seduced by this world we live in and end up joining in with its almost insatiable desire for leisure. We can see by all that which is going on around us that this is not working out well for our nation, as more and more people seek to not “work” and instead embrace the way of “the sluggard.”
The Christian must not be caught napping! He or she must be different when confronted by the temptation to kick back and let the world pass us by,
- “For God is not unjust so as to forget your work and the love you have shown toward His name, in having ministered and in still ministering to the saints. And we desire . . . that you may not be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.” (Hebrews 6:10-12 – NASB)
No sir Lord . . . I know what you say about “the sluggard,” and I know how a person becomes one; pursuing leisure to the point that in “an abundance of idleness” one inevitably becomes just that . . . a “sluggard.”
Have a good day . . . and remember what our Lord has told us about working until He comes. Take good note that the harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Chasing after leisure can have a very negative effect on the number of workers.
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR