From the Proverbs we read,
- “As the door turns on its hinges, so does the sluggard on his bed” (Proverbs 26:14 – NASB)
So, what is a “sluggard?” The English word means, “a person who is habitually inactive or lazy.” That said, we could literally say of this verse from Proverbs, “As the door turns on its hinges, so does the person who is habitually inactive or lazy on his bed.”
The author of the Proverbs has much to say that is not very sympathetic toward “the sluggard,” the one “who is habitually inactive or lazy.”
I find it interesting to note that there is a very close relationship between leisure and laziness. In fact, as I was thinking on this matter of laziness the word leisure came to my mind. In this country we live in there is a great deal of effort put into living a life of leisure. The thing that I think we must be constantly aware of, if we are Christians, is that leisure can very easily lead to laziness. By its very definition, the word leisure can be found to be closely linked to our definition of a “sluggard.” Leisure is defined, “freedom from the demands of work and duty.” As one looks at the word as an adjective the dictionary reads, “not required to work for a living.” It only stands to reason that If one is “not required to work for a living,” the chances of becoming a “sluggard” are enhanced tremendously.
I think I am within proper biblical interpretation guidelines when I note that Ezekiel writes regarding Sodom,
- “Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had . . . careless ease” (Ezekiel 16:49 – NASB – It is most interesting here to note the sins of “Sodom,” that they were not just of a sexual nature.)
This term, “carless ease” literally means, “an abundance of idleness.” It would seem they also had in their daily environment a great deal of leisure. And it would, I believe, be safe to say that in their “careless ease,” in their leisure, they probably were guilty of being slothful. What do you think? One thing for sure, the Bible tells us regarding “the sluggard” that,
- “The desire of the sluggard puts him to death, for his hands refuse to work” (Proverbs 21:25 – NASB)
O brethren, we must take care not to be seduced by this world we live in and end up joining in with its almost insatiable desire for leisure. We can see by all that which is going on around us that this is not working out well for our nation, as more and more people seek to not “work” and instead embrace the way of “the sluggard.”
The Christian must not be caught napping! He or she must be different when confronted by the temptation to kick back and let the world pass us by,
- “For God is not unjust so as to forget your work and the love you have shown toward His name, in having ministered and in still ministering to the saints. And we desire . . . that you may not be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.” (Hebrews 6:10-12 – NASB)
No sir Lord . . . I know what you say about “the sluggard,” and I know how a person becomes one; pursuing leisure to the point that in “an abundance of idleness” one inevitably becomes just that . . . a “sluggard.”
Have a good day . . . and remember what our Lord has told us about working until He comes. Take good note that the harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Chasing after leisure can have a very negative effect on the number of workers.
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAM Say on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge