If the morning begins with praise I believe it will bring about a right mind-set for the day. It gets one’s perspective on things right and hopefully stimulates our hearts to desire to hear from God . . . and thus, to open up His Word and have Him speak to us.
- “Open my eyes, that I may see wondrous things from Your law” (Psalm 119:18 – NKJV)
Yes Father, “open my eyes that I may see” Your written Word, that I might attain wisdom and understanding.
Note Jesus’s words from Matthew, chapter 23,
- “But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites . . . Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites . . . Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites . . . Woe to you blind guides . . . Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites . . . Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites . . . Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites . . . Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites” (Matthew 23:13-16, 23, 25, 27, 29 – NKJV)
Just what does “woe” mean? Our Lord uses the word quite often, and you can probably tell from Matthew 23 that it is not a word used by Him for glad tidings.
We must not get this word mixed up with the English word, “Whoa.” This word is frequently heard if one reads any books about the old west or watches a cowboy movie. Whenever a cowboy wanted his horse to stop or a stagecoach driver wanted his team of horses to come to a stop, they would yell out, “Whoa.”
The word that Jesus uses, “woe,” does not mean to “stop.” It is the Greek word, ouai and it means, “a primary exclamation of grief” (Stongs). Zodhiates writes of this word, “of denouncing misery and pitying it; alas!”
Dr. John MacArthur writes,
- “But Jesus used woe against the scribes and Pharisees not as an exclamation but as a declaration, a divine pronouncement of judgment from God. He did not use the term in the sense of the profane phrase ‘Damn you!’ He was not wishing for the damnation of those false leaders but certifying it. As already noted, it was not His desire that they be condemned but rather that they repent and come to salvation. But He knew that if they did not repent and believe they were doomed to hell under God’s righteous and just wrath. When God utters woe against evil men He sets divine judgment in motion.”
So “woe” is a most serious word and one to pay special attention to, both in the Old Testament and the New (note Isaiah 5). And when we see it used in the Scriptures we should be careful not to just pass over it or treat it lightly, especially in reading what follows the usage of the word.
- Note that in our Scripture references Jesus has a common description of those He is proclaiming “woe” to . . . they are “hypocrites.”
“Our Father, help us never to be found as “hypocrites,” as actors, as those who seek to outwardly appear as religious, or pious, or godly, and yet are found by You to be doing this for all the wrong reasons, having a heart that is far from You . . . and we would hear You say to us, “Woe to you . . .”
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk examine your steps and examine your heart, that they are in line with God’s Word, with God’s will. Woe that the Lord should find the two are not in agreement. That is the condition that plagued the scribes and the Pharisees.
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR