Note this Scripture text from Luke,
- “Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has demanded permission to sift you like wheat; but I have prayed for you, that your faith may not fail” (Luke 22:31 – NASB)
Jesus, headed toward His arrest and subsequent crucifixion, tells Simon Peter that he is not going to be able to stand firm in the midst of it all (Luke 22:34). But prior to telling him this Jesus says something very important to His disciple. He tells him that He has interceded for him in prayer because “Satan had demanded permission to sift (him) like wheat.” The point I would have us take away from this is that Jesus our Lord and Savior, intercedes for those who are His.
- “who is the one that condemns? Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us” (Romans 8:34 – NASB)
- “For Christ did not enter a holy place made with hands, a mere copy of the true one, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us.” (Hebrews 9:24 – NASB)
Dr. Henry Morris writes, “One of the most glorious truths of the Christian life is that the Lord Jesus Christ, who died for our sins and rose for our justification, now lives to intercede for us before God.” Intercession by our Lord . . . “for us” . . . what a wonderful and comforting Scriptural truth.
Probably no where in Scripture is this intercession more clearly defined than when we read John, chapter 17. Here is the greatest Bible example of intercessory prayer by our Lord. In this entire chapter Jesus is praying for those who were with Him and who believed on Him and also for those who would believe on Him later. To the Father He prayed,
- “Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on Me through their word” (John 17:20 – KJV)
That’s us brethren! This intercessory prayer of John 17 includes us! We who believe on Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior are the “them.” And as our other texts from Romans and Hebrews confirm to us, Jesus our Lord and Savior continues to “intercede for us . . . in the presence of God.”
One thing we can be sure of . . . . that when the Son intercedes on our behalf the Father will grant His requests.
Oh thank you Lord that you are at “the right hand of God” and that You love us and, in the midst of our frailty, when we fail You and we sin, You intercede for us with the Father . . . You truly are our great Intercessor!
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk rejoice that in heaven, in the very presence of God, you have One who prays for you, One who intercedes for you.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas